By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Witness Nearly Sold As Much In A Week As Braid Sold In A Year

Even though he said SS is inaccurate (it's always going to be that way), he claims without breaking NDA that more was sold O_o.

I know it's an NDA but I wish he'd just tell us.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
OdinHades said:
Yet the guy still has to bitch about pirates. Classy.

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

I genuinely think social media breeds hate. It's like the cowards upercut.

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:

I genuinely think social media breeds hate. It's like the cowards upercut.

Inclined to agree. Also over the years of growing up with the net, I've found it to be one of the most unruly places to visit, like no mans land where you step so much as on the wrong site or network and the next you're mobbed to death by anons or other networks. The internet can be an unforgiving place.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Sprash said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
Oh man I hope that's enough to feed his family what with all the pirating.

Glad the game is selling well, by all accounts it is a fantastic game. But his crying about how bad piracy was making his situation look was clearly exaggerated for attention/sales.

He's like Phil Fish in that he makes it very hard for me to purchase his work and feel good about it.

What crying? he made one comment on twitter how he saw that his game was heavily pirated nothing more nothing less, can we please stop with that crying, what a attention whore he is supposed to be or how he has a master-plan to seek attention and imply how he can't make a next game because of this just to say one day after this tweet how good the sales are on both platforms.

but seriously, your exxagerated crying over his twitter message is clearly a dirty move from you.

Dirty move? Blow is a big enough drama queen, don't pile it on.

Around the Network
Machina said:
Boutros said:
He also confirms Steamspy isn't accurate.

Interesting. Wonder why that is. I know the initial estimates for new releases are very rough and that he needs several days' worth of data before he can produce solid estimates, but presumably The Witness has been out long enough for those reasons to no longer apply in this case.

That's basically the reason he gave. I'm not sure how many days it will need to become more accurate but he claims the figures are a lot higher that what's on Stemspy.

Jonathan Blow Resume:

Braid (Ps3) - Metascore 93

The Witness (Ps4) - Metascore 87 

-------------------------------------------------

The guy is obviously a GREAT developer with an amazing vision for innovative games. He has all the right to complain for piracy no matter of severe the situation is. If 1 guy download the game ilegally, that is one guy that is robbing his pockets.

The amazing thing is, that im seeing people on this thread complaining about Jonathan attitude, when they themselves supported and defended silly twitter rants from people like Tomonobu Itagaki when people were shitting on The Devil's Third, and from Shinji Mikami who is the No. 1 complainer on the internet, which also insults fans almost on a daily basis.

--------------------------------------------------

Im just glad the game is selling great and that Jonathan is pleased, cant wait to see more games from him. He is a proven genious.

I just wish he didnt take so long between games.

Also, the Ps4/PC Combo has been killing it lately from several games. It is a formula for success apparently.

Cant wait to see how Street Fighter V will sell.

How long will it be until the NDA wears off?, I would like to know how much was sold on Steam since he's claiming he is selling more than what SS is claiming.

sterner said:
Thanks to PS4 maybe.
Less than 40k sold on PC so far.

he said its way over 50k and thats 2 million in sales alone which is nearly half of what braid did year one, meaning ps4 sales are about the same

AEGRO said:

Jonathan Blow Resume:

Braid (Ps3) - Metascore 93

The Witness (Ps4) - Metascore 87 

The guy is obviously a GREAT developer with an amazing vision for innovative games. He has all the right to complain for piracy no matter of severe the situation is. If 1 guy download the game ilegally, that is one guy that is robbing his pockets.

The amazing thing is, that im seeing people on this thread complaining about Jonathan attitude, when they themselves supported and defended silly twitter rants from people like Tomonobu Itagaki when people were shitting on The Devil's Third, and from Shinji Mikami who is the No. 1 complainer on the internet, which also insults fans almost on a daily basis.

--------------------------------------------------

Im just glad the game is selling great and that Jonathan is pleased, cant wait to see more games from him. He is a proven genious.

I just wish he didnt take so long between games.

Also, the Ps4/PC Combo has been killing it lately from several games. It is a formula for success apparently.

Cant wait to see how Street Fighter V will sell.

He's a good developer, but 87 is not impressive for a 7 year dev cycle. Braid had a 3 year dev cycle with Blow working only 3-4 hours a day compared to full time on the witness. If you don't even factor that in, Braid got a Netacritic score of 31 for every year in development and The Witness got a metacritic of 12.4 per year in development. Take in to factor the huge difference in hours and the gap is even more striking. 

So yeah, both games are good but his efficiency in greating a the good game out of the Witness is very low.