By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can they remake Final Fantasy VII without the Sexism? (EDIT: turned out to be fake!)

Tagged games:

kurasakiichimaru said:
mornelithe said:

Yeah, the fans of FFVII were super disappointed... 

I am disappointed. Why do you care bout what I want?

I don't.  I didn't respond to you.  So, unless you're Wrights alt account, I think we were done before you even started.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:

"I look at Tifa and realize now how over-sexualized she is; less a character and more a caricature of womanhood made to pander to teenage boys that can’t appreciate a fighting woman unless she’s also a sex toy."

Or it could simply be argued that Tifa, the martial artist who runs a bar, plays the piano and kicks all kinds of ass, is a character for young teenage girls to look up to.

At 15 years old she charged the greatest soldier on the planet with a big fucking sword and lived to fight another day. Tifa is a bona fide badass.

-

"Lastly, and most offensively, is the treatment of women in the game. Cid is an alcoholic (what do you think he meant by “tea” in that notorious scene?) abuser of his assistant, Shera, and there’s a silent endorsement on the part of the other characters when they refuse to acknowledge or confront him about his disgusting actions."

"This can be solved really easily – just add a few lines of dialogue where Shera stands up for herself, where the rest of the team can step in on her side. Cid can apologise, and you should be able to choose whether or not the apology is accepted, either accepting Cid onto the team or leaving him where he is. "

Welcome to the real world, where strangers simply do not barge in on other peoples business. Furthermore, if you actually played the game you would know why he resents her and you would know that in the end, he forgives her. Hell, they get married at a later date. He isn't being a dick to her because she's a woman, he's being a dick to her because she ruined his dream.

You change the way Cid acts towards Shera, you change his character entirely. Him forgiving her and realising what a dick he's been is a key part of building him as a character. Simply adding in an appology so early on would ruin the moment where he understands what really happened. Idiotic.

-

"Cloud should die in the place of Aerith.

I know that saying this will upset a lot of people, but it makes sense on so many levels. Cloud is a blank slate whose life is mostly a lie. Aerith is the last surviving Cetra, whose existence has profound meaning—from that alone, it’s easy to see that Cloud’s life has less weight than Aerith’s, and further, the game wouldn’t have to change from that point onwards
."

This is literally one of the stupidest things I have ever read in regards to changing things in videogames.

^ This

mornelithe said:

Well, disappointment sometimes come at a delayed rate. This author realized it now. Maybe some more FFVII players are starting to see things they didn't like until now?

Ajax said:
Wright said:

Not dellusional. She's a fan that wants some changes, nothing wrong with that.

Fans sometimes are disappointed with the results and ask for certain revisions or changes. Look at Mass Effect 3. Altered the original endings because fans demanded so.

She is not a FFVII fan. She might think and say she is, but she is not, which is made clear by her words. Please read them again. 

She wants Aerith to live. That sole fact makes her a biggest fan that all of us! Bet she tried all those "how to revive Aerith" methods in his younghood only to came out disappointed.

Also, as a side note, I'm talking to two Ryu's at once!

mornelithe said:

I don't.  I didn't respond to you.  So, unless you're Wrights alt account, I think we were done before you even started.

Stop backseat modding though. The fact you think people don't have similar opinions means you are being biased. 

Anyway, I find Aeris' death iconic but is it wrong to have an option, a non-canon at that where she lives for the two fans according to you as the factual number of people who wants Aeris' back?

I'd pay top dollars for a DLC like that.

Some changes are necessary today because news flash, some things don't work as it does today.

Tifa being barbie doll slim is just sad. Even its changing today for Barbie, the fact you think the same thing does not apply to videogames must be delusional and sexist.

Shera being called unmentionable words by a man doesn’t fit anymore. Yall get dragged by the millenials by this.

- Moderated, Carl

RolStoppable said:
MikeRox said:

But was it oversexualization or just being inclusive to more body forms? :p

To claim it's just to appeal to male teens is to disregard all busty women who have existed long before silicone implants made such a figure available to all and an incredibly Sexist and derogatory view.

Eh, there's the saying that "sex sells", so it's hard to see the inclusion of busty women as merely a means to represent busty women. But it also needs to be said that oversexualisation is not sexism, so the article is really grasping for every straw. This includes the conclusion that a remake's purpose is to offer things that weren't possible at the time the original was produced; but really, most of the complaints seem to be directed at the writing, and different writing was certainly already possible back then. Overall, it's a very poorly argued article.

If the article had simply said , I personally don't like the writing and I don't like cid ,then fair enough. People with unsavoury characteristics being seen as on the side of "good" have been around in all media for ages, so an irascible character isn't anything new, her beef seems to be that his behavour wasn't addressed to her satisfaction , but this is FF7 with it's story evolving from what was at that time a back drop of a growing conservation movement , not a story about "the redemption of cid" also you need to look at the times this game came from to give you some context , this looking back might have made her realise why she had no problem with it in her earlier playthroughs.

I to had problems with the writing , right from my first play at that was when it first came out in Australia , mine was with cait sith's arguments with Barret on the high wind or rather Barret not being giving any good counters to Sith's hypocrisy , but I am realist to know that the world doesn't revolve around FF7 or me.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network

I don't know where you guys live, but I see many thin and fit women everyday, also fit women with big tits.

And people wanting Aeris to stay alive is nothing new.
Wanting Cloud to die instead I've never heard before and is so ridicilous that it's not even understandble why you would want that to happen.

''Hadouken!''

Ajax said:

Wanting Cloud to die instead I've never heard before and is so ridicilous that it's not even understandble why you would want that to happen.

We've had years of Final Fantasy fans dedicated all their time and energy at explaining why Squall (FF VIII spoiler) is dead. It's still a fan-made theory and it's of course not confirmed nor canon according to Square-Enix. But there it is. Hundreds and hundreds of hours poured into an effort to explain something a fan would like to be true. Of course, more fans support this line of thinking.

So it's not far-fetched to think someone would like to trade Cloud for Aerith. It's nothing ridiculous, just a request from a fan.

She's not asking Cloud to die meaningless, but swapping their destinies as the author thinks (and supports) that Aerith is the most important character between them two.

Wright said:
mornelithe said:

Well, disappointment sometimes come at a delayed rate. This author realized it now. Maybe some more FFVII players are starting to see things they didn't like until now?

Not really, the author doesn't appear to realize (as Carl pointed out) the characters stories made them into who they are.  People have flaws, and good stories often have characters who are severely flawed, or damaged in some way.  

kurasakiichimaru said:

Stop backseat modding though. The fact you think people don't have similar opinions means you are being biased. 

Anyway, I find Aeris' death iconic but is it wrong to have an option, a non-canon at that where she lives for the two fans according to you as the factual number of people who wants Aeris' back?

I'd pay top dollars for a DLC like that.

Some changes are necessary today because news flash, some things don't work as it does today.

Tifa being barbie doll slim is just sad. Even its changing today for Barbie, the fact you think the same thing does not apply to videogames must be delusional and sexist.

Shera being called unmentionable words by a man doesn’t fit anymore. Yall get dragged by the millenials by this.

Nah, nevermind, we were done before you even started.

kurasakiichimaru said:

Are you saying that this accomplished martial artist, living in a slum and running a bar shouldn't be thin?

Furthermore, are you saying that someone who thinks this accomplished martial artist, living in a slum and running a bar should be thin is delusional and sexist?