By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can they remake Final Fantasy VII without the Sexism? (EDIT: turned out to be fake!)

Tagged games:

RolStoppable said:
Wright said:

Her profile or twitter don't show any photo of her (She has an Aerith avatar, though!)

I see.

I don't really get the point about Shera though. The story is that she accepts Cid's abuse because she messed up the start of the rocket. If the party would step in to defend her, she would probably speak in favor of Cid.

Thats the truth , but later on iirc , it turns out that her instincts that the fuel supply wasn't right was correct and if she hadn't continued to work on it  cid would have been doomed, so  the point that impatient cid cancelled the flight to save her life , also saved cids life . 

Having just played through the make them tea scene , there is no evidence of tea being a euphemism for alcohol , also contrary to her article there is a reaction to cids abusive behavour but has you correctly assumed she does defend him.  

The one thing and this is a general point not aimed at anyone , I would like to point out ones acceptence of abuse for whatever reason  does in no way give the abuser absolution , but these types of poor journalism that focus on serious issues using  trivial examples do way more harm than good.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
kooltrex said:
  Tifa is not sexist she is a strong woman who looks hot and kicks ass at the same time. There do exist good looking women in the real world believe it or not.

Not true. Tifa's a woman who is always drooling for Cloud and has the need to be at his side, otherwise she wouldn't be able to do anything. In other words, she needs a male figure at her side. And her stats are worse compared to the rest. So no, she's not a strong woman and she doesn't kick ass at the same time.

RolStoppable said:
MikeRox said:

The question would be, was it that they designed busty women and made polygonal characters to match that? Or was the FMV rendered to match the polygonal models?

Either way, having a wife with G Cups I have to say I'm concerned at how abnormally flat chested game characters are becoming vs my real life experience of the female form... It's almost like we need to turn women into men in order for them to be accepted. How very Sexist...

It was a deliberate decision to make busty women.

For Tomb Raider, if you look at Lara's polygon model, she is nowhere near as busty as in the FMVs; and FMV-quality character models were used to promote the game.

For Final Fantasy VII, Aerith's look in FMVs makes it clear that Tifa's breat size wasn't an accident.

But was it oversexualization or just being inclusive to more body forms? :p

To claim it's just to appeal to male teens is to disregard all busty women who have existed long before silicone implants made such a figure available to all and an incredibly Sexist and derogatory view.

Unless we are saying sexually attractive people serve no purpose in society other than to make teenagers hard. As much as the author would love it, there are very attractive people in the world and they have just as much right to be represented in a game as anyone else. #hotgirlrights

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Wow. If you're picking apart sexism in Final Fantasy VII, you are playing the game for the wrong reasons. 

I am sorry, I consider myself a fairly liberal person, but this is really reaching.

The author had some great points.
But ofcourse the gamergate supporters here in vgchartz will come in here and post without reading the whole article and calling the author fat etc.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
MikeRox said:

But was it oversexualization or just being inclusive to more body forms? :p

To claim it's just to appeal to male teens is to disregard all busty women who have existed long before silicone implants made such a figure available to all and an incredibly Sexist and derogatory view.

Eh, there's the saying that "sex sells", so it's hard to see the inclusion of busty women as merely a means to represent busty women. But it also needs to be said that oversexualisation is not sexism, so the article is really grasping for every straw. This includes the conclusion that a remake's purpose is to offer things that weren't possible at the time the original was produced; but really, most of the complaints seem to be directed at the writing, and different writing was certainly already possible back then. Overall, it's a very poorly argued article.

Indeed. I'm just fed up of everything being torn to shreds. It was a groundbreaking game for its time. I don't get the micro analysis of every aspect of every game. Surely a black guy having a gun built into their arm would be a far more concerning character design if you were going to go down that road?

Social commentary that all black guys shoot people? That seems to be the level of logic applied to these arguments.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

In the real world, men like big tits. People are pissed off at others and people get killed.
There is besides the fantasy stuff, nothing in FF7 that's not also in the real world.

Authors can write the books they want, filmmakers the movies they want and musicians the music they want.
But somehow game makers seem to not get the same freedom anymore.

But a huge amout of women loves 50 shades of grey because they secretly like to get dominated sexually by men.
But somehow there is no problem with that because a woman is the author of the book.

And Cloud dying in FF7?
Whoever wrote this article is really getting things twisted in the brain. So she want a different game.
No actually, she want a game that suites perfectly for her. She wasnts a private game for herself.

Why does this kind of dellusional stuff get so much attention, also by us here at vgc..
Unbelievable..

''Hadouken!''

Last edited by OttoniBastos - on 11 September 2018

You know, I've read many opinions about Final Fantasy VII. Really, a ton, the passion for this game always manage to amaze me, and I like the whole hype about it. So many fans want Aerith to stay alive, for legitimate reasons. They write texts, theory, opinions, fanfictions and so on, just for the defense of Aerith.

But, this, sir, is the worst opinion for the cause of Aerith I've ever read in my life. The worst. Without a doubt.

Sexism is still rampant on most japanese games up to this day (not that games made in the west are that much better; sometimes they are even worse).
I don't see them changing any of the things mentioned in the article, except for the part involving Shera and Cid, for it only requires some lines to be rewritten when the game is localized into other languages.