By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can they remake Final Fantasy VII without the Sexism? (EDIT: turned out to be fake!)

Tagged games:

thatguymarco said:
Heh. People need to relax with these things, I agree we need more diverse character designs though, not every women is a super model and chances are that the prettiest ones devote a lot of their attention to that fact.

They don't all have to be hot. To please them, how about keeping Tifa hot while making Aerith and Yuffie ugly, while making Shera a man-beater.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
Wright said:

While that's true, sometimes authors retcon the backgrounds of their characters, whether because they feel like it or because of fan feedback. Maybe they aren't satisfied with how the character turned out, whether for its flaws or for what he chose to do with them

Besides, the writer of this piece doesn't want Cid's backstory changed (he'd still be a wife beater), but rather, Shera being able to stand against his abuse instead of being a submissive woman.

It was part of her story too.

Yes, I know that, but again, what the writer wants is Shera not puting up with Cid's abuse (not removing Cid/Shera's backstory altogether). She made a mistake (which in reality wasn't a mistake, as she saved Cid's life) and she's been paying for it six years.

The master pimp Don Corneo gets executed cruelly in Wutai.
But this is not enough satisfaction for the feminists.
No, let's kill Cloud this time around.

''Hadouken!''

Wright said:
mornelithe said:

Not really, the author doesn't appear to realize (as Carl pointed out) the characters stories made them into who they are.  People have flaws, and good stories often have characters who are severely flawed, or damaged in some way.  

While that's true, sometimes authors retcon the backgrounds of their characters, whether because they feel like it or because of fan feedback. Maybe they aren't satisfied with how the character turned out, whether for its flaws or for what he chose to do with them

Besides, the writer of this piece doesn't want Cid's backstory changed (he'd still be a wife beater), but rather, Shera being able to stand against his abuse instead of being a submissive woman.

What they chose to do with them, stop ascribing all writing to males.  That's sexist. 

And, you know, I hate to break it to you, but not every woman (or man) stands up to their abuser.  Many of them do not.  It's a very believable character flaw, one exhibited by many people.

Hey while we're at it, let's have Sephiroth not be a psychopath, maybe Shinra can be a nice company, with a nice President, maybe Red XIII doesn't have to live his entire life thinking his father is a coward, not knowing until the end...oh wait, those are all guys, they're supposed to be bad or have horrific shit happen to them.  Sorry I forgot how this works.

What I don't understand is why does this game has to be free of sexism? It's not attempting to show a perfect world, instead it's showing a world with many problems. Since when did every work of fiction have to take place in a utopia?

Around the Network

Why aren't game creators allowed to make their game the way they want.
So Shera doesn't say Cid shut up.
So what?
She should be grateful that she is allowed to live together with the greatest pilot of the whole world.

''Hadouken!''

Ajax said:
So what?
She should be grateful that she is allowed to live together with the greatest pilot of the whole world.

This brings up a perfect argument: Shera is not real. She does not have any emotions. She does not truly get hurt by Cid's words.

VGPolyglot said:
Ajax said:
So what?

This brings up a perfect argument: Shera is not real. She does not have any emotions. She does not truly get hurt by Cid's words.

Sir, you need to put trigger warnings before these kinds of messages.  You could seriously harm some forum dwellers.  In fact, we might need to have Carl set up a safe space, just in case.

mornelithe said:

What they chose to do with them, stop ascribing all writing to males.  That's sexist. 

And, you know, I hate to break it to you, but not every woman (or man) stands up to their abuser.  Many of them do not.  It's a very believable character flaw, one exhibited by many people.

Hey while we're at it, let's have Sephiroth not be a psychopath, maybe Shinra can be a nice company, with a nice President...oh wait, those are all guys, they're supposed to be bad.  Sorry I forgot how this works.

My bad, I'm sorry. It was a slip back there, I'll try not to make the same mistake again.

As for the abusing thing, that's true, but hence the more reason to make such change in this game. Think about it. Final Fantasy is a very well-known game (franchise) outside the gaming circle. So imagine that in this remake, Shera actually does stand against the abusing partner. Word of mouth goes around. Doesn't that send a powerful message? The fact that you can actually face your abusive partner and put a stop to it? It would actually encourage people to take action in the real world. It's a win/win situation.

If you'd like to have a different Sephiroth or have Shinra as a nice company in the Remake, write about it. You're a fan, would you like those changes? Ask for them. I'd actually support you, you know. You're looking at this whole opinion from the author as if you were excluded or offended, but you can (and should) demand for change into the final product if you feel like it. Shinra as a nice company would give a nice twist, to be honest.

I think Cid might still be too nice for her actually.
He is the greatest pilot in the world and a cool though guy.
He could have got many other women easily if he wanted too.
Shera counts her blessings and listens to the commands of the captain.
Shera is much smarter than the feminists think.

''Hadouken!''