By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NX game price if the library is unified?

To clarify, if the game is a premium value product, it will be $60 regardless of platform. You're not going to see Metroid Prime 4 selling for $40 on the NXDS just because of the hardware it's on. You want premium games? You'll have to pay premium prices.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see some "in the middle" games. Things like Smash NX, Mario Kart 9, Nintendo vs. Capcom (please) and Diddy Kong Racing Returns (please again) would probably be in the $50 range instead of a strict $40 or $60.

You also might see things like the next big 2D Mario, Donkey Kong, or Metroid being $40 on both platforms instead of artificially inflating the price to $60 simply because it's on a home console like with Wii U, so there's a balance.

Around the Network
WoodenPints said:
jason1637 said:
I think that the NX will have games at $50 and when you buy it from the store you get a code for the other system. But when you buy it physical you will get the code inside like they used to do with club Nintendo.

I don't think thjat would happen sicne pople will buy the game for $50 then sell the code for $40 to someone on ebay, really wouldn't work.

Well maybe that you must have an account synced to both systems and when you buy it on one system its shows up as ready to install on the other. 

Miyamotoo said:
Darwinianevolution said:
Prices would not be unified, and that will be for the best. Cheaper 20-30€ games can coexist with 50-60€ games, there's no need to price everthing at the same value. And this is more important for digital and its discounts.

In Europe and Japan you already have Nintendo Wii U games that are 40, 50 and 60 euros. But here is a point for instance what price will be for MK9 for NX handheld and what price for MK9 NX home console will be.

Probably $40 for handheld only and $60 for both (bundled). At least that's what I'm hoping. Budget titles will likely be $30/$50 (or - even more likely - both + amiibo for $60. Ninty seems to be finding ways to price their budget titles at full price with an added bonus). 

EDIT: A cross-buy discount that would allow players to play games on both consoles is what I'm assuming here. So, maybe 50% or so off of the alternate version after purchasing the original would work out well (and still cover additional development costs associated with porting ). The bundled price would have to be unified, however, to prevent people from buying the handheld version first to get a larger discount on the home-console version.

I would be willing to pay up to $80 for two versions of a major title w/amiibo, maybe $60 for two versions of a budget title (again, free amiibo). 

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

jason1637 said:

Well maybe that you must have an account synced to both systems and when you buy it on one system its shows up as ready to install on the other.

Or maybe the NX will be digital only platform meaning none of that will be an issue.

Which is a scenario Miyamoto specifically referenced in a quote I literally just brought up an hour ago on this site.

See? I still have it Ctrl +C'd.

"So, particularly with digital downloads now and the idea that you're downloading the right to play a game, that opens up the ability to have multiple platform digital downloads where you can download on one and download on another. Certainly from a development standpoint there is some challenge to it, because if you have two devices that have different specs and you're being told to design in a way that the game runs on both devices, then that can be challenging for the developer—but if you have a more unified development environment and you're able to make one game that runs on both systems instead of having to make a game for each system, that's an area of opportunity for us."

Describes a digital platform, a unified platform, a shared library, cross buy, unified developement, and the "right to play a game" all in one easy to digest paragraph!

spemanig said:
To clarify, if the game is a premium value product, it will be $60 regardless of platform. You're not going to see Metroid Prime 4 selling for $40 on the NXDS just because of the hardware it's on. You want premium games? You'll have to pay premium prices.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see some "in the middle" games. Things like Smash NX, Mario Kart 9, Nintendo vs. Capcom (please) and Diddy Kong Racing Returns (please again) would probably be in the $50 range instead of a strict $40 or $60.

You also might see things like the next big 2D Mario, Donkey Kong, or Metroid being $40 on both platforms instead of artificially inflating the price to $60 simply because it's on a home console like with Wii U, so there's a balance.

Yep, games will be priced based on budget and/or sales potential. I know you believe NX will be all digital but even if it's not, I believe there will be a stronger focus on digital only games. For example, games like Mario vs DK, Pokémon Rumble & Steel Diver have had retail releases previously but have now become digital only releases and a lot of smaller new IP have debuted as eShop exclusives like Rusty's Baseball, Pushmo, Dillon's Rolling Western, etc. Some smaller games that currently have retail releases like Fossil Fighters could potentially become digital only titles.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
potato_hamster said:
kitler53 said:

consider activision releasing the next CoD on the NX
1. activision will not put the game on NX console if they can't charge $60
2. activision will not put the game on NX console if nintendo requires to also run on NX handheld with no monetary incentive to make two versions of the game for the price of one.

so this either means:
1. nintendo follows sony's lead on only make cross-buy a thing when it makes sense for the title and not a requirement the publisher must adhere to.
2. nintendo follows nintendo's lead and has no 3rd party support.

or 3. Nintendo follows Nintendo's lead and the NX is actually two seperate platforms where publishers can develop for whatever platform the like knowing the cost of supporting the second platform is lower than it was between the Wii U and 3DS, but if they do choose to do so, can publish it for that seperate platform for a seperate price and make more money.

that's option 1.

vita has some exclusive games.

ps3/ps4 has some exclusive games.

vita and ps3/4 have some straight ports that are cross buy

vita and ps3/4 have some high/low graphics ports custom to each system that are seperate purchases.

geez,. that sounds a lot like NX huh?

You're right that I did misunderstand your first point.

You and I are on the same page. This is what I believe Nintendo will do. But I don't think they're going to take premier titles like Zelda, and make them cross-buy or give away the game on one platform for free.

spemanig said:
jason1637 said:

Or maybe the NX will be digital only platform meaning none of that will be an issue.

Which is a scenario Miyamoto specifically referenced in a quote I literally just brought up an hour ago on this site.

"So, particularly with digital downloads now and the idea that you're downloading the right to play a game, that opens up the ability to have multiple platform digital downloads where you can download on one and download on another. Certainly from a development standpoint there is some challenge to it, because if you have two devices that have different specs and you're being told to design in a way that the game runs on both devices, then that can be challenging for the developer—but if you have a more unified development environment and you're able to make one game that runs on both systems instead of having to make a game for each system, that's an area of opportunity for us."

Describes a digital platform, a unified platform, a shared library, cross buy, unified developement, and the "right to play a game" all in one easy to digest paragraph!

Then the ready to install thing is still possible. I wouldn't mind if NX was digital only but there are people and places in the world with mediocre internet so i think it 3would be smasrt for Nintendo to have some sort of physical media. 

spemanig said:
jason1637 said:

It describes an added challenge, a difficult challenge that almost no developer, much less a third party is goinng to be willing to do for free. Also, he wasn't  necessarily referring to the NX when he said that. It was more of a "wouldn't it be nice if"...  and if fact right after that the interviewer gave an specific example of Super Mario Bros. 3 on the Virtual Console which required seperate purchases to play it on both 3DS and Wii U, and Miyamoto kinda shurgged it off and said he'd think about doing it seperately next time.

So I mean, it's kinda disingenous to intentionally take the paragraph out of context, when you and I both know that he wasn't specifically referring to the NX when he said this, and this could quite easily have absolutely nothing to do with the NX.

For those who would like to read the interview themselves:

http://kotaku.com/miyamoto-can-imagine-nintendo-making-hybrid-console-han-1594989023

potato_hamster said:

It describes an added challenge, a difficult challenge that almost no developer, much less a third party is goinng to be willing to do for free. Also, he wasn't  necessarily referring to the NX when he said that. It was more of a "wouldn't it be nice if"...  and if fact right after that the interviewer gave an specific example of Super Mario Bros. 3 on the Virtual Console which required seperate purchases to play it on both 3DS and Wii U, and Miyamoto kinda shurgged it off and said he'd think about doing it seperately next time.

So I mean, it's kinda disingenous to intentionally take the paragraph out of context, when you and I both know that he wasn't specifically referring to the NX when he said this, and this could quite easily have absolutely nothing to do with the NX.

For those who would like to read the interview themselves:

http://kotaku.com/miyamoto-can-imagine-nintendo-making-hybrid-console-han-1594989023

Except they already to it successfully and lucratively on mobile. They've overcome that challenge. That's why they unified developement studios. That's why the NX is being designed from its genesis to make it easy for developers to make one game on both.

He was very clearly referencing the NX. Let's not start that and pretend that a paragrah that directly references everything we've learned since about the NX plarform isn't actually about the NX platform. Yeah. He must be referencing some other unified platform. Combining development studios must have actually been for extending the 3DS's life another 3 years. "Both devices" must actually be a reference to the Wii U and 3DS. I must be crazy.

spemanig said:

Yup, that quote is gold. To me, it is definitive confirmation of a shared OS at the very least.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)