By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NX game price if the library is unified?

I am going to guess that games will cost 39.99 for the NX handheld version and Nintendo will charge another 19.99 to download the DLC needed to play the game at 900p on the NX home console.

Around the Network
Illusion said:
I am going to guess that games will cost 39.99 for the NX handheld version and Nintendo will charge another 19.99 to download the DLC needed to play the game at 900p on the NX home console.

I don't think having to pay extra after already purchasing the game would go down very well with people.

Hiku said:

Assuming the games work on both a handheld and stationary NX, no strings attached, then I believe we're looking at a higher cost than the 3DS standard, because development costs for the games will generally be higher than development costs for 3DS games.
My guess would be $50-$60.

Hmm, this is actually an interesting question.
Going this route, would they lose some of the incentives of handheld gaming, namely significantly cheaper prices for games, and lower development costs?
I suppose developers could still make relatively lower budget games even for console though. But they would still be higher budget than they would be on just a handheld, regardless.

Well if they create one version of the game and then optimise it for each there handheld and the console it would lower the development cost since they will be releasing it to both the handheld and console userbase rather than making separate games for each so a sub $60 price tag could be acceptable across the board maybe.

Given the greed of all industries, $50-$60, but there will no doubt be a few lower end games they sell for $40,

potato_hamster said:
Miyamotoo said:

Nintendo reorganized its R&D divisions and integrated the handheld device and home console development teams into one division under Mr. Takeda. Previously, our handheld video game devices and home video game consoles had to be developed separately as the technological requirements of each system, whether it was battery-powered or connected to a power supply, differed greatly, leading to completely different architectures and, hence, divergent methods of software development. However, because of vast technological advances, it became possible to achieve a fair degree of architectural integration.This meant, that porting games across platforms would be much easier, and help solve Nintendo’s current problem of game shortages.

"Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform. To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models. The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples. Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment. However, we are hoping to change and correct the situation in which we develop games for different platforms individually and sometimes disappoint consumers with game shortages as we attempt to move from one platform to another, and we believe that we will be able to deliver tangible results in the future."

Home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems.

Once again:

"we are hoping to change and correct the situation in which we develop games for different platforms individually and sometimes disappoint consumers with game shortages"

You realise that Wii U and 3DS are completely different and that NX home console and NX handheld will be very similar and that probably only difference will be power!? I expect NX games be similar like Smash Bros for 3DS (for NX handheld) and WiiU (home console), but point is that on NX they will devolope games like that much faster and with far less resources, so you are in delusion if you expect $100 for game that will work on handheld and home console.

Exactly, so as I was saying. Nintendo has said it would be easier to port games, making it easier for devlopers to put games on both platforms. That's all they've said. Try getting an iPad exclusive game to run on your iPhone. It isn't happening. It has to be ported. Sure it's easier to port the game to iPhone than android, but still there's extra work that has to be done, and at the end of the day, buying the iPad version and the iPhone version can and often is two seperate purchases.

They have never said anything along the lines of "one game - two platforms" that people are just convinced is true. I think people that are convinced of such things are in for a rude awakening.

Aside from that the differences between the NX home and handheld could be far more than power. They could have different control schemes, they could have different screen dimensions. One could have a 3D screen, one might only have one screen as opposed to two. Again, this is all speculation that the "only" difference between these two platforms (if it even is two platforms) is power.

And to call me delusional is unfair. Nintendo's fans have demonstrated by the millions that they have no issue spending $100 on one game across two platforms. Why wouldn't Nintendo continue with that? Why would they throw money away?

Yes, and imagine trying to port something like Zelda U, Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade X... to a system 10-15x weaker. Huge multiplayer titles like smash, splatoon, mario kart and animal crossing are worth the effort, as well as games that don't push the home console (2d titles, mario party, side scrolling DK...) But huge productions are better off exclusive to the home console. Exclusives also sell hardware, so keeping some of the 1st party exclusive to each system help making people buy both HC and HH.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Thunderbird77 said:

Wich only indicates that we will see certain franchises following the smash for wii u and 3ds and others not. I expect cross buy for those cases (buy one version, download the other for the other system).

I don't think every possible game will be have that treatment, but majority yes, you can bet games like Smash Bros, Mario Kart and Splatoon will be work on handheld and home console.

Good that we agree on something.

teigaga said:
WoodenPints said:

You're probably right with this but even a jump from $39.99 - $59.99 for people who are big handheld fans wouldn't go down to well with them.

If the next Pokemon offers Wii U level graphics, I think people will quickly forget the price hike ;) 

You should quickly forget the idea of a $199 handheld having wii u graphics in the near future.

The prices will obviously vary from 29.99$/39.99$ to 59.99$.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Thunderbird77 said:
teigaga said:
WoodenPints said:

You're probably right with this but even a jump from $39.99 - $59.99 for people who are big handheld fans wouldn't go down to well with them.

If the next Pokemon offers Wii U level graphics, I think people will quickly forget the price hike ;) 

You should quickly forget the idea of a $199 handheld having wii u graphics in the near future.

Why wouldn't it? The Wii U chip is nothing special and $35 Apple A9X (portable processor) demolishes a Wii U. 

But again maybe Nintendo will go the same route of overcharing for massively outdated hardware as per usual. But there's no technical reason a $199 portable couldn't have some beastly graphics. 

A totally unified library, if it will happen, will mean lower (probably not too much) total revenue from games. But it will also mean lower dev costs for games that were planned to be both on portable and home console anyway, and higher sales for games that were usually planned only for a platform. Total HW sales, portable+home, could be lower too. But total profit margin HW+SW for Ninty and SW for 3rd parties could be higher thanks to the aforementioned dev economies and cost optimizations, so who knows, if Ninty really believes in the project, pleasant surprises could happen also for game prices, and even more if 3rd parties will appreciate it too.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!