By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would you quit Modern Gaming if its Digital Only?

Would you quite Modern Gaming if its Digital Only?

yes 197 44.57%

no 245 55.43%

Total:442
potato_hamster said:
Ruler said:
potato_hamster said:

Well they actually can. All they have to do is force you to install a firmware update with a new game (pretty common) and then in that firmware update require your console to phone home to play, or prevent you from playing any game you already own.

Sure, in your current PS4's offline state it will play all the games you own right now and play them offline right now, but that could literally change with any new game release. There's absolutely nothing stopping them from locking your console down and preventing you from playing any future games from this point forward unless your console is connected to the internet. If your PS4 is connected to the internet they could push an update to your PS4 that would lock it down as I type this.

Will Sony do that? No of course not. But they certainly can. So can Microsoft. So can Valve.

And why would i install such an update?

You're assuming you have a choice to install it. Sony or Microsoft or whoever can push an update to your console and install it automatically at any time if its connected to the internet.

nope, you dont have to install any update for the PS4. 

Around the Network
Zappykins said:

Sure there are a few records, but most all music and movies is all digital now. Games are doing the same. It was 50/50 this year for consoles over the Black Friday weekend (in the states). I see 2015 as the last year that physical lead. It's already lost PC, now consoles will be mostly digital.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/15/8419567/digital-physical-music-sales-overtake-globally

Only last year. iTunes was created 15 years ago. Games are having a harder time selling the idea of 'digital only', just like movies are. We've got a while yet of discs, espcially as most the time, games are bought by parents for kids.

Hmm, pie.

Microsoft has made me almost halfway digital so it's not going to bother me. The long downloads for big games still hurt but google fiber is coming to my area in some years.

I wouldn't mind. Nowadays it'is rather pointless to buy games in physical format because you only get the disk and that's it. If they came with some bonuses like maps, history booklet or something like that, it would be great. But that's not the case, so...

Ruler said:
potato_hamster said:
Ruler said:
potato_hamster said:

Well they actually can. All they have to do is force you to install a firmware update with a new game (pretty common) and then in that firmware update require your console to phone home to play, or prevent you from playing any game you already own.

Sure, in your current PS4's offline state it will play all the games you own right now and play them offline right now, but that could literally change with any new game release. There's absolutely nothing stopping them from locking your console down and preventing you from playing any future games from this point forward unless your console is connected to the internet. If your PS4 is connected to the internet they could push an update to your PS4 that would lock it down as I type this.

Will Sony do that? No of course not. But they certainly can. So can Microsoft. So can Valve.

And why would i install such an update?

You're assuming you have a choice to install it. Sony or Microsoft or whoever can push an update to your console and install it automatically at any time if its connected to the internet.

nope, you dont have to install any update for the PS4. 

Again, you're assuming that Sony cannot push an update to your console and install it without your knowledge. You would be wrong. It's part of the EULA you agreed to.

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:

Again, you're assuming that Sony cannot push an update to your console and install it without your knowledge. You would be wrong. It's part of the EULA you agreed to.

they cant do it. The PS4 cant turn on and download stuff

Azzanation said:
Lauster said:
Azzanation said:
Lauster said:
Azzanation said:

There is no argument, Digital is a far more superiour way to buy and play your games. I have had more console and disk problems with my games then i ever did with digital. Your basing your argument around "What if Steam shuts down" lol honestly you really think they will shut down? If you were right another company will pick it up and continue it. Its a major cash grab.

Your next gen console relies on the internet, most of your games require internet to play and to download the day one patches. Without PSN or Live your console is a sitting brick.

Have you notice that the game box you have has nothing in it? The console only needs the disk to prove you purchased it becasue the stupid gaming community we have today hated on DRM so now we are forced to put a plastic disk in the plastic box to give the tick of approval. Buying phyiscal is a complete waste of resources and the sooner we go 100% digital the sooner we will have Steam priced games. The longer companies have to supply disks the more we will pay for digital because they want to sell you the disks first becasue again "Stupid community" 

Its not like the past where you can look at your N64 collection and go "I own those games" espeacilly with the formats we game on today its only a cover nothing else. I dont even think my PS1 or NES even work today due to there age, so i have 500+ unplayable games because i have no other way to play them. But you would rather that then have a service that looks after your games for you. Imagine you have a house fire? You lose all your games, but if you have them online there untouchable and always ready to download.

Digital is also the best form of backwards compatiablity, you dont need to own multiple types of hardware and to hope to god your old consoles still work or worse, hoping the disks/cartridges still read.

Sure you cant sell digital but you can always sell your account. I personally dont buy games to sell them.

yeah, cause my PS3 digital games work great on my PS4...wait

BraLoD said:
barneystinson69 said:

No, especially now that I've upgraded my internet to the point where I can download 40-50GB games in a couple hours.

I can also download 40-50GB games in a couple tens hours... something like 50 hours or so... XP

Fixed that for you. ;)

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

No but i voted yes because Spemanig rustle's my jimmies. It is like sound of screeching nails on a black board.

I do think about quitting at times but it is just better to cut down.

Ruler said:
potato_hamster said:

they cant do it. The PS4 cant turn on and download stuff

It quite literally can if its connected to the internet. My PS4 downloads and installs updates while it's turned off right now. The PS4 is never truly off if its plugged in.