By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would you quit Modern Gaming if its Digital Only?

Would you quite Modern Gaming if its Digital Only?

yes 197 44.57%

no 245 55.43%

Total:442

No. I will adapt. I don't like having my games tied to any service, though, just like my movies. And yes, I'm not one of those who just throw away a game the one time after I'm done with it. Like movies, I will play a game years or even a decade or two down the line like I have done. Nothing wrong with that. I prefer my physical games, but I would adapt to the circumstances being presented should they go away. I will still resist for as long as I can, though. :p

Around the Network
The Fury said:

Depends on the case, person or game. I mean Dragon Age Inquisition, currently on PSN for £30. GOTY Edition is £55. Go into a highstreet and internet store and get the GOYT Edition for £25 or less at the moment, which is the price of the included DLC alone on PSN without the full game as well. Inquisition isn't even available on Steam because EA. This would have hurt their PC sales, they seem to not care however.

Funny that you mention the GOTY Edition of Dragon Age Inquisition. Once you typed in the redeem codes of the DLC (and it gets bound to your account), you already destroyed most of the resell value of that game. ;)

You also have to download the DLCs, they are not on the disc: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-09-25-dragon-age-inquisition-getting-game-of-the-year-edition

So after the shutdown of PSN / XBL or Steam you won't be able to redownload these DLCs even with your physical version of the game.

If you sell the game, you can't play the DLCs anymore (because you don't have the main game) and the buyer can't use the DLC content either.

That's when I go PC only. I'm almost there anyway

I like having the option to purchase either digital or physical as I see fit. I certainly would not quit gaming but am not looking forward to an all digital future.

Ill probably keep gaming but will only buy games that are very discounted. On consoles I want physical copies.

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
Ruler said:

Well they actually can. All they have to do is force you to install a firmware update with a new game (pretty common) and then in that firmware update require your console to phone home to play, or prevent you from playing any game you already own.

Sure, in your current PS4's offline state it will play all the games you own right now and play them offline right now, but that could literally change with any new game release. There's absolutely nothing stopping them from locking your console down and preventing you from playing any future games from this point forward unless your console is connected to the internet. If your PS4 is connected to the internet they could push an update to your PS4 that would lock it down as I type this.

Will Sony do that? No of course not. But they certainly can. So can Microsoft. So can Valve.

And why would i install such an update?

Puppyroach said:
A great example of one of the downsides from physical only: Panzer Dragoon Saga was only released in something like 50000 copies worldwide. Sadly the source code was lost and the game will likely never be remastered. Had it been digital, it would be available to all and more people could've enjoyed it.

And? its still better than something like PT completley unavaible for purchase

Ruler said:
potato_hamster said:

Well they actually can. All they have to do is force you to install a firmware update with a new game (pretty common) and then in that firmware update require your console to phone home to play, or prevent you from playing any game you already own.

Sure, in your current PS4's offline state it will play all the games you own right now and play them offline right now, but that could literally change with any new game release. There's absolutely nothing stopping them from locking your console down and preventing you from playing any future games from this point forward unless your console is connected to the internet. If your PS4 is connected to the internet they could push an update to your PS4 that would lock it down as I type this.

Will Sony do that? No of course not. But they certainly can. So can Microsoft. So can Valve.

And why would i install such an update?

You're assuming you have a choice to install it. Sony or Microsoft or whoever can push an update to your console and install it automatically at any time if its connected to the internet.

theres more chances i abandon if they go back to physical only.

jonathanalis said:
theres more chances i abandon if they go back to physical only.