By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Amazing Wii graphics-Sky Crawlers

I wouldn't say "amazing". "Not bad" is more fitting. Texture detail is OK, but polygon count and effects are kinda low.

Around the Network
darklich13 said:
haha

How can you even make a comparison? First, nothing in that image even compares to Sky Crawlers, as it's a different era aircraft, the scenery behind is entirely different, and the lighting is completely different. That's like trying to compare shots from Assassin's Creed with Metal Gear Solid 4. Just because both have to do with sneaky guys that infiltrate and kill doesn't mean the two even compare with each other.

Not to mention I see plenty of jaggies in that pic, but almost none in the Sky Crawlers one.

SW-5120-1900-6153

I'd say impressive airborne graphics would be easier as there is less to focus on, and the scenery is so far away.

thetonestarr said:

Not to mention I see plenty of jaggies in that pic, but almost none in the Sky Crawlers one.

Really?

I guess I just don't see what is amazing about these shots.  There are Ace Combat 4 screens from before release that look almost as good, maybe not quite as clean. 

That looks pretty good actually, but the scenery is what really taxes the graphics in flight sims. I remember Project I.G.I (I'm Going In, a PC FPS) that utilized a flight game engine for scenery, bad idea...

Around the Network

I think they look pretty good, i think in action the game will look even better
Now hope for a good playability and maybe could be another wii-title to buy this year

WiiU/Wii/3DS/DS/Xbox360/PS3/PSP Owner 
3DS FC: 1032-1246-9162  (Nacho)
Nintendo Network ID: Zap786
If you add me, please let me know to add you back

I just compared some Ace Combat 4 screens to the Sky Crawlers ones we have. It looks like the games both share the same engine, the Wii screen grabs have around the same amount of polygons and textures as the PS2 game but it looks like Anti Aliasing is turned on for the Wii game. Also chances are the textures are a tad higher quality for the Wii game given the fact that the Wii has over 3x the ram and is capable of real time texture decompression.

Here are some examples of Ace Combat 4:

This is a target render for Ace Combat 4:

So it's very possible that the screens for the Wii game are also target renders and don't actually come from the game. 

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Looks like an interesting arcade shooter. And as long as Pilot Wings isn't announced, this might be the next best thing.

pictures look awesome, im hoping the controls works

Onyxmeth said:

It looks nice, but these are stillshots. They could easily be made to look this good. Are there videos showing this game in action yet?

I dunno. If they touched them up, don't you think that they would have done something about the obviously simple geometry? The textures and lighting are very nice, but the polygons are clearly visible.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.