By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - There is no Such Thing as "White Privilege"

Wow... you sir, are definitely in the wrong.

But what else to expect from someone with Donald Trump as his avatar.

Around the Network

Isn't the whole situation in Oregon with the Bundy terrorists and their friends the very definition of "white privilige"? They were allowed to occupy a government building for, so far, three weeks without ANY intervention from FBI. Imagine if they would have been black or Muslim, we would've seen a shootout within minutes from them occupying that building.

hershel_layton said:
Really?

. Black people need to stop whining and making excuses whenever they fail. Literally no one hates blacks. They're everywhere, and have blended into our society. We get it, people prefer whites for jobs, blah blah. That means you simply work harder for your goal!

My father lived as a poor man in the ghettos of Chicago. Even though many people were prejudiced against him(for being Arab). But guess what?

HE.DIDN'T.CRY.

These morons do nothing but cry about change! You need to DO THE CHANGE in order to expect something in return!

My father didn't spend his life hating blacks or living a life of crime. He got himself together, got a good job, family, and helped his parents finally get a good home.

Most black people need to learn from Malcolm X.

hating blacks is racist.
Hating whites is racist.

Learn the definition of racist before you make your own silly definition

Not sure what this post has to do with anything that has been said....because it in no way confirms or denies that white privilige exisits or doesn't. "Black people"  need to stop complaining or whining whent hey fail? Where are they complaining or whining about failing? "Literally no one hates blacks" are you being serious with this or is this a joke? Unless you are just in denial of reality...

And who are the mornos that do nothing but cry about change? "Black people"? Who has made their won silly definition of racist? Where were you going with this post? It seems like just an attack on "black people" more than anything else IMO. Maybe I am wrong but this post just seems....angry

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

hershel_layton said:
Really?

. Black people need to stop whining and making excuses whenever they fail. Literally no one hates blacks. They're everywhere, and have blended into our society. We get it, people prefer whites for jobs, blah blah. That means you simply work harder for your goal!

My father lived as a poor man in the ghettos of Chicago. Even though many people were prejudiced against him(for being Arab). But guess what?

HE.DIDN'T.CRY.

These morons do nothing but cry about change! You need to DO THE CHANGE in order to expect something in return!

My father didn't spend his life hating blacks or living a life of crime. He got himself together, got a good job, family, and helped his parents finally get a good home.

Most black people need to learn from Malcolm X.

hating blacks is racist.
Hating whites is racist.

Learn the definition of racist before you make your own silly definition

"NO ONE HATES BLACKS". You sir, are seriously deluded. Racism is very much alive in ALL circles.

You are just quoting the same thing every non-black person say because it's so cliche to say.

You mentioned an Arab father and as someone that spent time working in that part of the world when it comes to racism those guys are up there. This is just a personal observation. Take it or leave it, I don't care. However this is in no way a reflection on your dad. I don't know him.

On topic, yes there is. As a white person, globally more doors are opened to you. I am not just focusing on the US ( I only lived there for a short time). I worked with a Caribbean bloke and we traveled Europe, Asia, the Middle East and North America together. Being white is definitely an advantage.

However I know this is not in the context you are implying. I do get what you are saying and to an extent I agree with you. But at the root of the problem is racism itself which many people don't want to acknowledge exist. I know a racist guy who is forever covering up his racist attitude by denial of racism in the world. The perfect double bluff.

Youtube comments sections say a lot about the state of racism in the world. Behind the keyboard you can hide.

A lot of people who were young and very opposed to black rights in the 60's are now owners of companies and other facilities. Anyone thinking all of them all of a sudden are open minded and tolerant, are naive.

Around the Network

It should be noted that white privilege does not affect every white person in the same way...
While whites in the US may not be reminded of their race to the extent of people of color, there is no shortage of whites who experience extreme poverty...
One need only look at Appalachia to see poverty that makes urban poverty look tame...
These communities also face many of the same challenges as urban communities, namely heroin and meth and all of the baggage that comes with drugs...
Politicians can scare these people into opposing programs that would benefit them by saying such programs would give black people a leg up on them...
The privileged can protect their privilege by appealing to the fear and instability of those that struggle...
That's why states with high poverty prevalence among whites tend to have limited Medicaid funding when compared to states with more diversity...

Have a nice day...

You think all the Italians, Irish, Germans, Poles, Danes, Brits on and on started out advantaged? These people came over on a boat too, with nothing but a suitcase and a desire and dream to do better. They didn't even have the advantage/privelidge of speaking the language, yet they have thrived. Back then there were no 'programs' or safety nets to help out. These things are new to the mix. And we can see they are more like hammocks to make a person lazy and uninspired. Ask a 85 year old Yugoslavian grandma if she feels white priveledge helped her family make it...

Or you could consider that black people are allowed to march down a street shouting kill the police!! and the media fawns over them. When a group of white guys march saying 'the gov isn't supposed to be doing this' they are vilified BECAUSE they are white[or more acurately Republicans]. Ask any 1920 Italian immigrant if they felt white privelidge when they got off the boat with just a suitcase...

Today in class we were talking about, "acting white." How minorities embracing having academic success or speaking standard english, somehow made them less authentic. I am strongly against this position and belief that the only white privilege is to believe that only white people can be embrace these practices. In actuality, I think that everyone should try to succeed within the society they live in.

Wiibaron said:

You think all the Italians, Irish, Germans, Poles, Danes, Brits on and on started out advantaged? These people came over on a boat too, with nothing but a suitcase and a desire and dream to do better. They didn't even have the advantage/privelidge of speaking the language, yet they have thrived. Back then there were no 'programs' or safety nets to help out. These things are new to the mix. And we can see they are more like hammocks to make a person lazy and uninspired. Ask a 85 year old Yugoslavian grandma if she feels white priveledge helped her family make it...

But not all of the groups you mentioned were always considered white; Italians, the Irish, Slavs, Jews, and Greeks were all legally classified as people of color at some point...

Benjamin Frnaklin even expressed concern about non-Saxon Germans diluting whiteness in America...

When looked at in a historical context, attaining white status certainly didn't harm these groups...

Additionally, each of these groups was able to reap the benefits of the GI Bill, whereas black veterans who fought in World War II were much less likely to qualify for education grants and were routinely denied mortgages awarded to white veterans because of the practice of red taping...

Have a nice day...