By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - There is no Such Thing as "White Privilege"

Free education does not take away any incentives to be productive in Germany. Universities are not absolutely free but almost. 500 per semester.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

White privilege does exist just like it would for any other group that dominated most of the known world. Were the tables turned it would most likely be similar. People in America tend to think that creativing affirmative action gave minorities and women privilege but it did not. All it did was create a space in the bracket for them where otherwise they would've been eaten alive in the market by the dominant population. 

If white privilege exist then women have it too. 

Netyaroze said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

White privilege does exist just like it would for any other group that dominated most of the known world. Were the tables turned it would most likely be similar. People in America tend to think that creativing affirmative action gave minorities and women privilege but it did not. All it did was create a space in the bracket for them where otherwise they would've been eaten alive in the market by the dominant population. 

White privilege at its extent generally benefits males, but yes to some extent you would be correct. I mean, Womens rights have been a huge part of American history though so we should honor that as well.

PC gone mad.

DonFerrari said:
Multishanks said:
White Privilege does exist. As a black man from the inner city lower income bracket who has spent half of education in both lower income public schools and the latter half in the upper income private schools of NYC, I have witnessed it first hand.

The thing is, white privilege is sort of misnomer, since it is not so much of a privilege but an advantage of being the social default. For example I have throughout my life experience numerous times in which I was stopped by police simply because they didn't believe I was a student at a private school, so I must be there to rob students. Or in PA when I went to college and I was stopped by officers on my way back from the library at night because I looked suspicious or fit the description of a nearby crime. That's how it works. It's the ghost of the Jim Crow era in this nation, in which slavery was no longer institutionally enforced so the racial caste system was held intact by white "privilege".

The thing is, white privilege, and racism to a larger extent, hurts white people just as much as it does the disenfranchised groups it targets. Because ultimately in order for these concepts to work, you have to accept whiteness and separate yourself from others. Which is ultimately why these systems were created in the first place - see Bacon's Rebellion

You were very eloquent in both examples... I agree with you that there is no white privilegue but certainly is several extra harshness for black people depending on their birth (because rich black guys sometimes may have it easier than the white rich depending on the situation or much worse in another). But being born black, poor and on a violent place will certainly take a bigger burden for you to rise above.

It's a sad situation but the most violent cities in the USA per capita are Detroit, St Louis, Chicago, Cleveland.... Notice a pattern here? Look at the amount of money spent on each student in Detroit (high) and look at the graduation rates, literacy and numeracy rates (lowest in nation).Ask yourself why a city has continually voted democrat since 1964 while the situation continued to worsen.Morals and work ethic down the toilet, a handout mentality and a long road to both individual and societal destruction.

Want to know why gangs are so big in these four cities? Last i checked in Detroit 81% of kids were born to single mothers.Father absent for these kids lives, they join a gang because thats the family they never had.No desire from the democrat leadership that has run these cities for decades because they will vote democrat regardless.It's fucked.

Around the Network
Nettles said:
DonFerrari said:
Multishanks said:
White Privilege does exist. As a black man from the inner city lower income bracket who has spent half of education in both lower income public schools and the latter half in the upper income private schools of NYC, I have witnessed it first hand.

The thing is, white privilege is sort of misnomer, since it is not so much of a privilege but an advantage of being the social default. For example I have throughout my life experience numerous times in which I was stopped by police simply because they didn't believe I was a student at a private school, so I must be there to rob students. Or in PA when I went to college and I was stopped by officers on my way back from the library at night because I looked suspicious or fit the description of a nearby crime. That's how it works. It's the ghost of the Jim Crow era in this nation, in which slavery was no longer institutionally enforced so the racial caste system was held intact by white "privilege".

The thing is, white privilege, and racism to a larger extent, hurts white people just as much as it does the disenfranchised groups it targets. Because ultimately in order for these concepts to work, you have to accept whiteness and separate yourself from others. Which is ultimately why these systems were created in the first place - see Bacon's Rebellion

You were very eloquent in both examples... I agree with you that there is no white privilegue but certainly is several extra harshness for black people depending on their birth (because rich black guys sometimes may have it easier than the white rich depending on the situation or much worse in another). But being born black, poor and on a violent place will certainly take a bigger burden for you to rise above.

It's a sad situation but the most violent cities in the USA per capita are Detroit, St Louis, Chicago, Cleveland.... Notice a pattern here? Look at the amount of money spent on each student in Detroit (high) and look at the graduation rates, literacy and numeracy rates (lowest in nation).Ask yourself why a city has continually voted democrat since 1964 while the situation continued to worsen.Morals and work ethic down the toilet, a handout mentality and a long road to both individual and societal destruction.

Want to know why gangs are so big in these four cities? Last i checked in Detroit 81% of kids were born to single mothers.Father absent for these kids lives, they join a gang because thats the family they never had.No desire from the democrat leadership that has run these cities for decades because they will vote democrat regardless.It's fucked.

And if you are against that and the democratic way of thinking you are automatically against poor people and pro big corporation profiting ilegally

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

It's like not getting a blue shell in Mario Kart when you're in first place white boy.

outlawauron said:
MikeRox said:
outlawauron said:

These topics often get lost because different countries and cultures have very different definitions of racism and what is acceptable. Europe is far more racist than the US is, but the US has the reputation of race problems. It's a unique dynamic.

I think comparing Europe to the US is a poor comparison. Are there countries in Europe that are more racist than the US? I've certainly read articles which would suggest so. However just talking from a UK/US perspective (things I have experienced first hand), I was struck how overtly racist the US is compared with the UK. It was so bad and blatent in St Louis it made me uncomfortable. And I'm white!

It all depends on the media you consume as it can paint how you see it. I can read about Chelsea supporters and the subway fiasco, and I don't think that's very fair to assign to all Brits. I'm not sure what you're referring about in St. Louis, but I would actually argue it's the only way around. The only racism you really see in the US is personal beliefs or prejudices (i.e. how someone responds when seeing a black/white person doing the same action, or what stereotypes they have come to believe), which aren't overtly displayed.

If you're using an event which made national news in the UK and met universal condemnation as your example of how the UK is worse then I think you need more experience of both societies.

My wife is from St Louis. I have spent a few months there and seen the things happen. On public transport, black people having their tickets checked looking to see if they are fake etc while white people they barely even glance at the ticket. In airports, the people randomly being selected for extra screenings etc being of Arab descent. 

That is without having high profile possible politicians being able to spout offensive comments to entire populations and still be in with a chance of election beyond the small extreme demographics which such as the Chelsea fans belong to.

I was in shock at how racist the US can be. They have really exported an inclusive image. But my experiences go against that to a point I see why people discuss this as an issue.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Really?

. Black people need to stop whining and making excuses whenever they fail. Literally no one hates blacks. They're everywhere, and have blended into our society. We get it, people prefer whites for jobs, blah blah. That means you simply work harder for your goal!

My father lived as a poor man in the ghettos of Chicago. Even though many people were prejudiced against him(for being Arab). But guess what?

HE.DIDN'T.CRY.

These morons do nothing but cry about change! You need to DO THE CHANGE in order to expect something in return!

My father didn't spend his life hating blacks or living a life of crime. He got himself together, got a good job, family, and helped his parents finally get a good home.

Most black people need to learn from Malcolm X.

hating blacks is racist.
Hating whites is racist.

Learn the definition of racist before you make your own silly definition

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Netyaroze said:

White privilege at its extent generally benefits males, but yes to some extent you would be correct. I mean, Womens rights have been a huge part of American history though so we should honor that as well.

How does white privilege affect males differently then females? Also is there an Asian privilege as well?  Considering Asians.earn.more in the USA then whites?  And are the priviledged group in alot of Asian.countries?