By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - what can nintendo do to make sure the NX sells less than the Wii U?

zorg1000 said:
I'm not sure what we have more of, NX threads or pretend ur the president of Nintendo threads.

I haven't seen many of those threads. Sorry, I thought this idea was completely original

Around the Network

It could just naturally sell less than the Wii U (the console NX anyway) ... every Nintendo console has had progressively worse hardware sales since the NES aside from the Wii which attracted casuals for a few years with its controller.

I'd name it the wii wii, market it to retirement homes, go back to the Wii controls and install a life alert button onto the controllers themselves, encase it in a rotary phone that you use to physically dial in the LAN connection as our only online support, and sell it at $400. Included would be an antique, sterling silver dialing wand necessary to operate the rotary dial, thus precluding any significant price drops.

About one day after release I'd be quoted as saying "The Wii wii is not our future" and announce the upcoming successor "Wii U He She".

Release it is all they have to do, Nintendo is already in decline

Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.

"I don't debate, I just give you that work"- Ji99saw

What would the new "concept" be?
The concept would be simple. To take on Sony and Microsoft. We would develop a hard core console that would actually compete head on with them. It would be technologically superior spec wise and we'd be going into the "blue" ocean again ala NES/SNES days to win at all costs. We'd take a hit on hardware and recoup via software. The console would also come bundled with a brand new full 3D Mario ala Mario 64 at no additional cost to the consumer. We would aggressively pursue all major third parties and offer them major publishing discounts based off of whatever deals they have with Sony and Microsoft. We would also promise them promotional support so their games would have more visibility. We would spend big and acquire some huge western AAA IP as well by making them exclusive to our next system. We'd also reorganize our NOA branch with some very talented people and allow them to market/manage our business in the US in a way that they see fit. No more interference from NOJ in that regard.

What would you name it?
I would name is SNES 2 or Nintendo Revolution.

What would the console look like?
It would look mature and something that anyone over the age of 21 would be proud to display under their TV.

What features would it have?
It would feature the most powerful hardware on the market which would allow for full 1080P/60FPS gameplay without sacrifices. It would feature a 1TB STD and state of the art connectivity. Online gameplay would remain free, yet our online infrastructure would be built up to XBL and PSN standards. It would have always online sleep mode, so all patches and updates will auto install while you're away. It would feature hardware BC going all the way back to Gamecube. CD,DVD and Blu-Ray support. It would have 3.0 USB, and also work with iPhone's/smart phones to double as a media center for the living room.

What would the controller be like?
The controller would be a Wii-U Pro controller with some slight modifications. The triggers would become fully analog and the rumble would be slightly increased to give more immersion. 

Around the Network

Make the handheld side of it the size of a 48" TV, Sure people would love that.

Soundwave said:

It could just naturally sell less than the Wii U (the console NX anyway) ... every Nintendo console has had progressively worse hardware sales since the NES aside from the Wii which attracted casuals for a few years with its controller.

lol wow. so how many units do you reckon the NX will sell then? using this brilliant discovery, your answer should be very interesting to many of us on this site.

AlfredoTurkey said:

What would the new "concept" be?
The concept would be simple. To take on Sony and Microsoft. We would develop a hard core console that would actually compete head on with them. It would be technologically superior spec wise and we'd be going into the "blue" ocean again ala NES/SNES days to win at all costs. We'd take a hit on hardware and recoup via software. The console would also come bundled with a brand new full 3D Mario ala Mario 64 at no additional cost to the consumer. We would aggressively pursue all major third parties and offer them major publishing discounts based off of whatever deals they have with Sony and Microsoft. We would also promise them promotional support so their games would have more visibility. We would spend big and acquire some huge western AAA IP as well by making them exclusive to our next system. We'd also reorganize our NOA branch with some very talented people and allow them to market/manage our business in the US in a way that they see fit. No more interference from NOJ in that regard.

What would you name it?
I would name is SNES 2 or Nintendo Revolution.

What would the console look like?
It would look mature and something that anyone over the age of 21 would be proud to display under their TV.

What features would it have?
It would feature the most powerful hardware on the market which would allow for full 1080P/60FPS gameplay without sacrifices. It would feature a 1TB STD and state of the art connectivity. Online gameplay would remain free, yet our online infrastructure would be built up to XBL and PSN standards. It would have always online sleep mode, so all patches and updates will auto install while you're away. It would feature hardware BC going all the way back to Gamecube. CD,DVD and Blu-Ray support. It would have 3.0 USB, and also work with iPhone's/smart phones to double as a media center for the living room.

What would the controller be like?
The controller would be a Wii-U Pro controller with some slight modifications. The triggers would become fully analog and the rumble would be slightly increased to give more immersion. 

lol are you sure this console would sell less than the Wii U? i'm not so sure about that.

but anyway, assuming this is outlining a strategy for their next console to sell boatloads, i agree with a lot of your points and disagree with a lot of them. i think youre onto something about bundling a high quality new mario game. that is what they did for the snes, and i think they really should stick to their roots in this regard. another thing that i like is keeping the online free while investing in making the experience better than the competition's. companies are afraid to do things like this, but it is going to be worth it for your install base. it will turn heads. i like your idea about publishing discounts for third parties and taking away from the compeition.

what i dont like: nintendo selling the hardware at a loss. im not sure they really need to do this. nintendo has had a history of selling it at a profit, and this isnt something that i think they should consider changing. ESPECIALLY since we are asking them to invest more in their online while making it free and packing in a game that would make them millions of dollars if sold separately. they have to sell the console for a profit, thats just all there is to it. also, it isnt necessary for the system to have the most powerful hardware. nintendo doesnt need to be making a moneypit of a console. the system should be easy to make a profit on. that is something that is really going to make a difference for themselves and for third parties. the most powerful hardware can be a disadvantage in a lot of ways. im just somewhat skeptical about that. i think it needs to be efficient hardware. 

Nintendo made so many big mistakes with Wii U that I can see how exactly NX could sell less.

Miyamotoo said:
Nintendo made so many big mistakes with Wii U that I can see how exactly NX could sell less.

dont you see?? thats what makes this so much fun! come up with a way that the NX could sell less. be creative about it. Look at Hiku's response. very entertaining way to make sure the system sells less.