By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Street Fighter V: Sony and Capcom want to make sure you know the game is console exclusive

Let me get this straight...

When the 360 was the market leader with a much higher attachment rate, when the 360 version was superior in every way, and when the 360 version was used in tournaments Street Fighter still sold more on PS3.

Now that everything is reversed, this is going to hurt the franchise? This is the opposite of the Tomb Raider fiasco.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
And here we see why they are printing it on the cover.
Even with this, there is still discussion about if it's like this or not in the future.

If you were wondering why, that's your answer.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

spemanig said:
Thunderbird77 said:

Capcom might be satisfied short term but many people won't be able to play it, reducing the sales potential for future street fighters.

Lol, that is not at all how economics works, dude.

Less people will have acess to SF 5, many fans will feel betrayed, many people who never played a SF game won't have the opportunity yet. All of that is bad for the future entries in the franchise.

spemanig said:
Shiken said:

I believe that Sony is helping fund the game as Capcom stated that if they had to fund it themselves without help  from Sony, they would not even be able to make it.

Yeah, this is absolutely false. All they've ever alluded to is that the game would have taken longer to come out without the extra help. This isn't Bayonetta. Street Fighter is the biggest fighting game franchise in the world, and arguably Capcom's most iconic franchise. SFV wasn't even remotely at risk of not being made.

Yeah. How can people believe a company couldn't develop a game of it's biggest franchise?

Thunderbird77 said:
spemanig said:
Shiken said:

I believe that Sony is helping fund the game as Capcom stated that if they had to fund it themselves without help  from Sony, they would not even be able to make it.

Yeah, this is absolutely false. All they've ever alluded to is that the game would have taken longer to come out without the extra help. This isn't Bayonetta. Street Fighter is the biggest fighting game franchise in the world, and arguably Capcom's most iconic franchise. SFV wasn't even remotely at risk of not being made.

Yeah. How can people believe a company couldn't develop a game of it's biggest franchise?

Have you seen what they have done with Resident Evil....  Their flagship title. 

Around the Network
Protendo said:
Thunderbird77 said:

They never stopped developing RE. It's also nearly impossible to mess up with a bread and butter franchise like SF.

Thunderbird77 said:
Protendo said:

They never stopped developing RE. It's also nearly impossible to mess up with a bread and butter franchise like SF.

They only had the budget to make B rated titles and mini episodes.

There is no way they had the funding to do an AAA Street Fighter, and if they had the money they would of done it with Resident Evil first as it's their flagship title.

Hiku said:

"One comment we see a lot is that something like a Super Street Fighter 5 is going to come out on Xbox," said the representative. "But the reality is that this is a real partnership. We are console exclusive for this franchise for this numbered run."

"The exact words used by Adam Boyes, Sony VP of publisher and developer relations, were “PS4 will be the only console this game ever appears on.”"

I don't see how they could backtrack on this one. I'd be extremely surprised if that happened. Besides helping to fund and develop the game, Sony also invested over a million dollars into the prize pool of Capcom Pro Tour. And the plan is to grow the tour bigger every year.
Capcom also made it clear that there won't be a Super/Ultra, etc version of SF5. All the updates will be free (except for characters, which can be purchased for in game currency you earn by playing, or with real money), so people will never have to worry about having an outdated version if they want to jump back in after some time away.
What have they backtracked on previously that was claimed in a more aggressive, or clear way?

This is what Shinji Mikami once said about Resi4.

"Resident Evil 4 will definitely release only on GameCube, not on another console, if it happens, I will cut my head off."

I have literally no reason to ever believe them on anything exclusive. They can't be trusted.

spemanig said:
Hiku said:

"One comment we see a lot is that something like a Super Street Fighter 5 is going to come out on Xbox," said the representative. "But the reality is that this is a real partnership. We are console exclusive for this franchise for this numbered run."

"The exact words used by Adam Boyes, Sony VP of publisher and developer relations, were “PS4 will be the only console this game ever appears on.”"

I don't see how they could backtrack on this one. I'd be extremely surprised if that happened. Besides helping to fund and develop the game, Sony also invested over a million dollars into the prize pool of Capcom Pro Tour. And the plan is to grow the tour bigger every year.
Capcom also made it clear that there won't be a Super/Ultra, etc version of SF5. All the updates will be free (except for characters, which can be purchased for in game currency you earn by playing, or with real money), so people will never have to worry about having an outdated version if they want to jump back in after some time away.
What have they backtracked on previously that was claimed in a more aggressive, or clear way?

This is what Shinji Mikami once said about Resi4.

"Resident Evil 4 will definitely release only on GameCube, not on another console, if it happens, I will cut my head off."

I have literally no reason to ever believe them on anything exclusive. They can't be trusted.

Capcom ported RE4 to PS2 without Mikami. He had nothing to do with the port. He also left Capcom.

Darc Requiem said:

Capcom ported RE4 to PS2 without Mikami. He had nothing to do with the port. He also left Capcom.

It doesn't matter. Capcom made the exclusivity deal, not Mikami.