By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Street Fighter V: Sony and Capcom want to make sure you know the game is console exclusive

Thunderbird77 said:
spemanig said:
Shiken said:

I believe that Sony is helping fund the game as Capcom stated that if they had to fund it themselves without help  from Sony, they would not even be able to make it.

Yeah, this is absolutely false. All they've ever alluded to is that the game would have taken longer to come out without the extra help. This isn't Bayonetta. Street Fighter is the biggest fighting game franchise in the world, and arguably Capcom's most iconic franchise. SFV wasn't even remotely at risk of not being made.

Yeah. How can people believe a company couldn't develop a game of it's biggest franchise?

It is common knowledge that Capcom has been hurting financially for a while now.

Im not saying that the interview was not just PR, but they did say it.  Throw that in with their more recent money issues, and it isn't that far fetched.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
Hiku said:
Thunderbird77 said:
spemanig said:
Thunderbird77 said:

Capcom might be satisfied short term but many people won't be able to play it, reducing the sales potential for future street fighters.

Lol, that is not at all how economics works, dude.

Less people will have acess to SF 5, many fans will feel betrayed, many people who never played a SF game won't have the opportunity yet. All of that is bad for the future entries in the franchise.

While less people will have access to it, the idea is to increase the number of new player who will buy the game. They've taken numerous steps towards this, such as making the game more accessible to players (from a gameplaty perspective, by removing a lot of the technically difficult barriers that put many people off from SF3 and SF4), giving it cross platform play with PC as to not split the community (would that be possible if Xbox was in on this? I can't see cross platform play between PS4 and XB1 happening), and making sure that there won't ever be a need to buy any new version of SFV in the future, since many people disliked having to buy Vanilla, Super, AE, Ultra, etc. There's also the huge increase in the prize pool of the Capcom pro Tour which will generate a lot more media attention for SFV.

Basically, while they won't reach the same potential audience as they could if Xbox was included, they may reach a demographic big enough to meet their expectations. As for future Street Fighter games, fighting games in general are moving away from Xbox. The fact of the matter is, if you're a big fighting game fan, then chances are you're going to get a PS4, or get a good PC. Because those two platforms have many fighting games that aren't on Xbox One. Guilty Gear Xrd, Guilty Gear Xrd Revalator, Street Fighter 4, Street Fighter 5, Fighting Climax, King of Fighters 14, Tekken 7 (Still hasnt been announced for XB1 at least), J-Stars Victory Vs+, etc. The only fighting game on XB1 that's not on PS4 is Killer Instinct. And that one will come to PC.

Last generation, there were a great number of competetive SF4 players who bought the 360 version specifically because it had less input delay (6 frames for PS3, 4 frames for 360), and the online was more stable. This is no longer a concern on the current generation, and since fighting games in general are moving away from XB1, and the list will only grow, fighting game fans will have to get PS4 or a capable PC to play most of them.

Personally I would have prefered if SFV came out on XB1 as well, so more people could play it. But I wouldn't claim that sticking to PS4 and PC will have negative financial repercussions for Capcom and the future of SF, given how the current fighting game landscape looks today.

I'm talking about all platforms. It's not just xbox, they will miss on nintendo's handheld and home console (3ds wouldn't handle but the next portable could).

It's very arrogant to say chances are people will buy X systems for x genre. People have their preferences.

sabvre42 said:
Boutros said:
Not on Xbox is shorter.

Eh -- rumor has it NX is going to land several japanese games in addition to PS4. (Just not the Xbox One).

Not on Xbox is still shorter lol :)

I wish they reversed the logo, making the symbols due to negative space and just writing out the letters. Would be a lot better looking.

I assume the NX thing is a meme, or is it a mania people are pushing?

Hiku said:

Yikes.
I guess that's why the PS2 got the Director's Cut version of RE4? ;)

Heh.

Thunderbird77 said:

I'm talking about all platforms. It's not just xbox, they will miss on nintendo's handheld and home console (3ds wouldn't handle but the next portable could).

It's very arrogant to say chances are people will buy X systems for x genre. People have their preferences.

By memory the only fighting game that has moved a decent number of copies on Nintendo platforms since the SNES days has been soul calibur on gamecube.

Hiku said:

Yikes.
I guess that's why the PS2 got the Director's Cut version of RE4? ;)

U R GUD.

Around the Network

All this talk about Capcom hurting for a while makes me wonder how they got hurt in the first place, surely to god it wasn't because they made bad decisions and screwed the pooch was it?, surely it was some act of god that conspired against their fate.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

spemanig said:
Darc Requiem said:

Capcom ported RE4 to PS2 without Mikami. He had nothing to do with the port. He also left Capcom.

It doesn't matter. Capcom made the exclusivity deal, not Mikami.

True but what matters is that Sony has been backrolling the Capcom Cup. SFV is built around the Capcom Cup. Sony put $500,000 in the Capcom Cup prize pool last year. They are doing the same amount for 2016. Between that and kicking in funds for development, anyone holding out hope for a XB1 version of the game is beyond foolish.

There's still hope. If Capcom does like they did with Street Fighter II Turbo. It was "exclusive" to Super Nintendo buy Genesis got a Special Champion Edition that was pretty much the exact same game.

In the meantime, I lack patience. I have to get this game on day one so I can be amongst the best.

Good to be clear on the message

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Thunderbird77 said:

This exclusivity will only hurt capcom and the fans in the long run.

This is a misconception, Capcom didnt want to make SF5, Sony came in and said OK ill fund it for you them, and thus we have SF5. In other words it only exists because of Sony funding otherwise it wouldnt have been a console exclusive or even a game. Thats the oficial statement by the SF5 creator at least, it may or may not be bulshit, but I rather believe it isnt.