By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Opinion: As earlier NX releases, as bigger are the chances it wont be what your waiting for.

@Teigaga: No, I didn't misread it. Because of the architecture, 360 games should've been ported somewhat easilly on Wii U. It's more powerful with more RAM, so there shouldn't be bottlenecks preventing you from doing so. It also has the controller gimmick with being better dual analog controller with 3D motion detecting hardware. It was made simply as a better core gamer console than PS360.

I don't what kind of visible graphical advantages would you expect from NX, if the idea was to have ports of other consoles games. Even if it had ten times the power (that's pretty much the minimum for visible graphical advantages), it would need to be the main development platform for the said games for the extra power to have any real benefit.

@Darwinianevo: No, attach ratios by itself are meaningless numbers. I remember how MS PR had twist of hiding bad hardware sales under the high attach rate. Look, the best indication or your games success is the installbase it's going to be released.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

I'm just confident that people want it early and are expecting a huge awesome lineup of games when in reality, the earlier it releases, the less it will have. We probably won't even get a real Metroid until 2018... Maybe even 2019.
It's the same with all these games everyone wants to have on NX.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

CaptainExplosion said:

What if the 5 year cycle is still all too relavent? Such a factor would kill the NX if they release this November, just like what happened with the Dreamcast (released 2 years before the PS2). Plus, an extra year would give Nintendo more time to fix last-minute issues with the NX before launch.

Why would it be relevant. You can see it's either year three or four the sales take a nosedive. If you look at 3DS, it already has the life-support system that prototypes Nintendo's next gen tech in the market in someway, out: the New 3DS.

Dreamcast actually had a successful launch. While you can't say PS2 did not have any effect, what killed Dreamcast was the rampant piracy starting early on. It just did not have the installbase to support piracy and legitimate game sales.

And, it is not only when will it eventually release, but when the different form factors start to come out. If they go the Apple route and release new versions of the hardware once a year, or twice a year or something like that, or if there are 5 NX devices on the market simultanously. 

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

2016 isnt' the issue guys.  It's 2017.  Nintendo always has big launches. We all know that they would sell huge quantities in launch window esspecially since they will likely have Dragon Quest 11, 3d Mario, and Zelda at launch.

Then it's just a matter of maintaining that momentum. No matter when Nintendo jumps in they will be fighting against the Xbox and Playstation stronghold with their friendslists and acheivements. But the sooner Nintendo releases a powerfull 3rd party friendly machine with better online features that better it is for Nintendo.

CaptainExplosion said:
bdbdbd said:
CaptainExplosion said:

What if the 5 year cycle is still all too relavent? Such a factor would kill the NX if they release this November, just like what happened with the Dreamcast (released 2 years before the PS2). Plus, an extra year would give Nintendo more time to fix last-minute issues with the NX before launch.

Why would it be relevant. You can see it's either year three or four the sales take a nosedive. If you look at 3DS, it already has the life-support system that prototypes Nintendo's next gen tech in the market in someway, out: the New 3DS.

Dreamcast actually had a successful launch. While you can't say PS2 did not have any effect, what killed Dreamcast was the rampant piracy starting early on. It just did not have the installbase to support piracy and legitimate game sales.

And, it is not only when will it eventually release, but when the different form factors start to come out. If they go the Apple route and release new versions of the hardware once a year, or twice a year or something like that, or if there are 5 NX devices on the market simultanously. 

Well obviously going the Apple route wouldn't work with a Nintendo console. Five NX devices at the same time would lead to a Wii U level of confusion, and it doesn't help that consumers really are idiots (Why COD still sells so much).

Why wouldn't it work? You say it wouldn't work and give no reason. If five NX devices would lead into confusion, why 500 Android devices do not lead into confusion? Ios and Android are the two examples Iwata used for what NX could be compared to.
NX device released in 2017 might have twice the horsepower of NX device released in 2016. 2018 might be twice as powerful as NX in 2017. Each device could be fairly cheap and include the latest hardware. 

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Around the Network

I've been guessing at a 2017 release for a while now, but I wouldn't be too surprised if it was released in 2016

I really hope the next console is a lot more powerful though

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

bowserthedog said:

2016 isnt' the issue guys.  It's 2017.  Nintendo always has big launches. We all know that they would sell huge quantities in launch window esspecially since they will likely have Dragon Quest 11, 3d Mario, and Zelda at launch.

Then it's just a matter of maintaining that momentum. No matter when Nintendo jumps in they will be fighting against the Xbox and Playstation stronghold with their friendslists and acheivements. But the sooner Nintendo releases a powerfull 3rd party friendly machine with better online features that better it is for Nintendo.

As much as some poeple love it or hate the achievment/trophy system Nintendo really should add it as there are millions out there that would probably buy a NX for the achievment hunting that they enjoy.

The way you make it sound as if Nintendo is doomed it it waits, doomed it it doesn't, I don't get why some people have this one track mentality where Nintendo have to rise up like some ancient Shogun warrior and cut down their opponent in one swift calculated blow to where they dominate for generations. That's just silly to think they should do that, especially when they've been in their own bubble for years and years and that is honestly what I like about them.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

There are still well over 100M people that are yet to buy a current generation console, probably somewhere around 150-200M, based on the install base last generation and potential for growth into younger gamers or people that just never tried out gaming before, even taken into consideration that many Wii owners had no intention of gaming on a console again.

If NX is a new unified approach as it's been rumored too be and then that platform goes on to get all of the same 3rd party titles, that some people who just never buy a console because they're never home, but also never buy a handheld because it doesn't have those blockbuster games that they may want to play, then there's definitely no issues in Nintendo tapping into that area of the market.

TBH I think NX is going to be the end of this wall between generations for Nintendo, since API and OS have become more flexible and companies like Apple can transcend generations there's little reason to keep the walls up, them joining Khronos is quite telling really.
PC is fine having constant hardware upgrades, Nintendo wouldn't be going to the elaborate degree that PC does, but more likely release an updated model every 2 or so years, that way Nintendo can just incorporate better visuals and some extra features into the newer systems, but most games would still run on anything within the NX family.

Thinking that the market is all in the bag because your friends all play PS4 is ludicrous and this is coming from a PS4 gamer. TBH I'm personally holding off on buying a Wii U, partly because I don't want to buy one and then find out that NX will play it's games, along with being this unified machine. Also I'm partly on the fence because Sony has so many games coming and I see no point playing 3rd party anywhere else.

I would be fine getting NX if Nintendo can unify their development, as this would mean they aren't devoting separate sets of resources to handheld and console, but rather one set for everything they used to make and everything will run on both pieces of hardware, then Nintendo can devote some of their resources, like a good 30%+ to making new IPs or actually making more use of their other IPs that get ignored because Nintendo likes to play it safe using Mario and co so much.

Hell a Nintendo that does this, making games that appeal to the western market or a wider, diverse range of customers all over the globe would likely have no issues in getting 3rd party on board, because they'll have that install base gaming on their platform once again.
Releasing at the end of 2016 is not an issue provided that Nintendo has games suited to their audience, they have a clear marketing message, that describes a platform people want.

WoodenPints said:
bowserthedog said:

As much as some poeple love it or hate the achievment/trophy system Nintendo really should add it as there are millions out there that would probably buy a NX for the achievment hunting that they enjoy.

I agree with you there. Even though personally I think many Nintendo games do a better job of this type of feature in the game I think there are many who would want a unified system.

In Mario 3d World for example I loved having a page which showed you exactly have money stars and stamps you had collected on each level and the stamps page was cool too.  Much more rewarding to complete those pages than trophies. The other thing I hate about trophies is that often there are rediculous ones that I have no desire to complete and in order to plantinum a game you have to play multiplayer which is often something I'm not interested in.  But still they have to have this feature in order to attract people who aren't me.   Thankfully it looks like they have something planned. In fact Nintendo acheivements may even earn you discounts and free items.