By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Opinion: As earlier NX releases, as bigger are the chances it wont be what your waiting for.

@CaptainExplosion: Yes. You need to add Nintendo handheld sales to Nintendo home console sales, and that's what NX needs to sell. NX isn't a simple replacement for a single console, but it will replace all Nintendo consoles whatsoever. And I don't think Nintendo is happy with the 3DS performance either. If you take a look at the last generation home console sales, where all three topped 80 million units, I don't see why in the hell anyone would target below 80 million home consoles anyway.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network
bdbdbd said:

Wait - your "safe strategy" is excactly where Nintendo have been failing for the last two decades. The safe strategy is excactly what they did with Wii U. As NX is Nintendo's future strategy, only runaway success will do. Considering it's supposed to replace the DS line of produts as well as home consoles, it needs to top 150 million in "traditional generational cycle", otherwise it's hard to see it as a success.

"The safe strategy is excactly what they did with Wii U."

Wii U- Launched withhout any no real visble graphical advances (in some ways was worse- HDD, CPU), comepletely disaligned from future systems and achitecture with $100 being poured into a failed control rather then the systems specs and emphasis on the casual market.

You must have misread my post if you think the Wii U fits in line with what I described as a "Safe Strategy". 

CaptainExplosion said:
Darwinianevolution said:
bdbdbd said:

Wait - your "safe strategy" is excactly where Nintendo have been failing for the last two decades. The safe strategy is excactly what they did with Wii U. As NX is Nintendo's future strategy, only runaway success will do. Considering it's supposed to replace the DS line of produts as well as home consoles, it needs to top 150 million in "traditional generational cycle", otherwise it's hard to see it as a success.

I'm sure that keeping the attach ratios strong is more important for Nintendo that creating a +250m userbase again. Even if the NX sells just 60m with HH and HC combined and lasts until the PS6 gets released (so at least a lifecycle similar to GameBoy+GBC), if the attach rates are as good as they are with an unified architecture and enough power to work well on their projects and attract a couple of good multiplats, they would be set. Profits matter a lot more than userbase, just look at the GC-PS2-XBox days.

But I thought Sony was the most profitable that gen.

Nintendo was more profitable than Sony if we count the GBA. And the GameCube did not bring losses to the company, despite the effords to keep it afloat.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

@teugaga. "the Gamecube made more profit then the PS3 and 360, lets look a success in meaningful terms." - Please substantiate this insane claim.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:

@teugaga. "the Gamecube made more profit then the PS3 and 360, lets look a success in meaningful terms." - Please substantiate this insane claim.

Does anyone have that revenue table of Nintendo-PS-Microsoft? If I remember correctly, the losses of the PS3 and the 360 meant that their companies earned little to no profit during that era, but I can't find that comparaison anywhere.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

In the 80s (and early 90s) the market really was little boys more or less. The NES was even initially distributed by Mattel, the toy maker and video games were always in the toys section. 

That why "hardware upgrades" were such a big deal back then, I remember when the SNES launched (yes I am that old, lol), me and my brother had to beg *beg* our parents to buy us one for like 8 months straight and we only got it as a birthday gift. 

That's the reality of the market back then for most people. You had to rely on mommy/daddy to buy all new consoles and it was up to them. 

Now that I'm a grown ass man, I don't need to be babied like this anymore though. I, like most gamers, buy my own hardware and games with my own disposable income when ever I want. 

As such, the whole "5-6 year hardware cycle" to a degree has become outdated IMO, and I hope NX breaks it. We're also in the age of the internet and cloud accounts, evolving platforms like iOS, Android, and STEAM are as mainstream as it gets, NX should be more like that with more hardware models and the ability to upgrade older ones more often. 

As I said, I don't need to be treated like I'm 10 years old anymore, if I can upgrade my phone or tablet or STEAM-library PC, I think the time has come in 20-freaking 16 that we have a rethink of what a gaming platform can be. 

Ehh.. It wasn't little boys any more that it is today. Just because you were a kid in 1992 and an adult now, doesn't mean there weren't adults playing computers in 1992 and kids playing consoles today. I remember the huge difference between the first and latter half of the 80's; in the first half it was computers such as the hugely popular C64 that dads or soon to become ones were buying for themselves, and the latter half was the dads buying NES' for their kids.

Even today, the reality of market is, that lots of gamers depend on their moms and dads to buy them all new consoles. It it the kids. Just like it was in the 70's, in the 80's, in the 90's, in 2000's and the day it's going to change, is the day the industry is bankrupted.

I agree that the "5 year cycle" may be outdated. Usually it's been pretty safe bet for the next five years to buy a videogames console, but the last few generations have pretty much proven otherwise.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

JNK said:

So many people are still believing in / hoping for an NX release Nov´16.

I think an NX release ´16 will be horrible for all of us.

What do you expect from NX? You want an real console, a competition for Ps4/xbox one with games like: F-Zero, Metroid Prime, Zelda and co right? Probl with good third party support?

Im sure this wont happen in 2016. It would ne stupid.

NOBODY would buy a competiter to ps4/xbox one in 2016.

Many of my friends just got an ps4, do you know why? Because many of their friends had an ps4 already so they could play online together. Thats the main reason many people are purchasing a console.

In 2016/2017 there will be the ps4 with an installed hw base of ~50mio units vs the NX with probl ~5 Mio Units. People wont get the NX because they dont know other people who got it. 

This was exactly the same sceanrio the wii u ran into in 2012. It was the strongest console in 2012/2013q3. But nobody bought it or bought the third party games for it. They got them on ps3/xbox 360 because that was were their friends at.

So the only possibility NX will release 2016 is: We will get another Wii. A console aimed heavily on the casual market. No Metroid Prime, No F-Zero, but Just Dance, Wii Sports and Wii Fit.

Do you still want NX to be released 2016?

Actualy not releasing NX in 2016/2017, would be terrible for Nintendo and it fans beacuse Wii U is dead and 3DS is dying. Nintendo cant wait PS5/X2 to relase NX, I relly dont understand how some people dont see that.

We didnt see F-Zero for two gens now so there are very low chances we will see it on NX. Metroid Prime will be on NX, probably around 2017. Zelda U port for NX is almost certain, 3D Mario game is also almost certain for NX launch, Pikmin 4 will probable be there too...actualy NX in 2016. could have on of the best lauch games ever for Nintendo with 3D Mario game, Zelda U port and Pikmin 4.

If NX will realse in 2016. it want be same scenarion like Wii U beacuse Wii U was launch only one year before PS4/X1.

NX will probably be console for casuals and fans in same time. You forgeint we had Metroid on Wii.

Yes, I definitely see NX released in 2016, and me seems like best possible solution.

Darwinianevolution said:
COKTOE said:

Does anyone have that revenue table of Nintendo-PS-Microsoft? If I remember correctly, the losses of the PS3 and the 360 meant that their companies earned little to no profit during that era, but I can't find that comparaison anywhere.

CaptainExplosion said:
Darwinianevolution said:
bdbdbd said:

I'm sure that keeping the attach ratios strong is more important for Nintendo that creating a +250m userbase again. Even if the NX sells just 60m with HH and HC combined and lasts until the PS6 gets released (so at least a lifecycle similar to GameBoy+GBC), if the attach rates are as good as they are with an unified architecture and enough power to work well on their projects and attract a couple of good multiplats, they would be set. Profits matter a lot more than userbase, just look at the GC-PS2-XBox days.

But I thought Sony was the most profitable that gen.

Nintendo made far more money than Sony that gen despite 155m sold PS2.

CaptainExplosion said:
Miyamotoo said:
Darwinianevolution said:

Is there an updated version of this chart?

I dont think so, but point is that Nintendo made much more money in PS2 era despite sold 155m of PS2. Actualy, Nintendo had only two losses in their history, I think only 2012. and 2013. years.