By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Opinion: As earlier NX releases, as bigger are the chances it wont be what your waiting for.

Mummelmann said:

But the 360 had massive 3rd party support, even better than the PS3 for most of its life. The odds that Nintendo can offer on their platforms what enticed buyers into getting an Xbox or a PS are slim to none, even if they choose the "hardcore" route.
No one will provide support out of goodwill and most developers will be busy milking the PS and Xbox installed bases.
A hardcore NX installed base will not grow without proper support, and proper support will not arrive without a proven audience or extreme money-hatting, there is just no way this is a viable strategy.

The 360 and PS3 were always going to appeal to the customer base, or potential customer base, of the PS2, but Nintendo hasn't really had a say in this market segment for at least two decades, likely more, and there is absolutely nothing to suggest they will get a say now with a new console. Especially coming off of a product line that have made them an obscure curiousity for said customer base.

No, I maintain that this is a ridiculous strategy if they try it, and it would be their worst move in a very long time (even worse than the Wii U).

It's a bad strategy the moment we realize in this era you cannot release your product way after the reveal. In this world, you need to release your product as near as possible to the unveil.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
Mummelmann said:

But the 360 had massive 3rd party support, even better than the PS3 for most of its life. The odds that Nintendo can offer on their platforms what enticed buyers into getting an Xbox or a PS are slim to none, even if they choose the "hardcore" route.
No one will provide support out of goodwill and most developers will be busy milking the PS and Xbox installed bases.
A hardcore NX installed base will not grow without proper support, and proper support will not arrive without a proven audience or extreme money-hatting, there is just no way this is a viable strategy.

The 360 and PS3 were always going to appeal to the customer base, or potential customer base, of the PS2, but Nintendo hasn't really had a say in this market segment for at least two decades, likely more, and there is absolutely nothing to suggest they will get a say now with a new console. Especially coming off of a product line that have made them an obscure curiousity for said customer base.

No, I maintain that this is a ridiculous strategy if they try it, and it would be their worst move in a very long time (even worse than the Wii U).

It's a bad strategy the moment we realize in this era you cannot release your product way after the reveal. In this world, you need to release your product as near as possible to the unveil.

Yeah, I don't understand why some are still clinging to this idea that "they used to talk about hardware and then wait a long time to launch it" and not realize that the market has changed drastically, look at how all consoles have to go through slim models and other remakes to keep momentum on the market. Not reading and responding to the market was what ultimately brought the Wii U to its knees, let's pray that it taught them something.
Should they delay their console release further, after such a long time already of buzz and rumors, and in addition to this try to usurp the PS/Xbox audience; they deserve every last shred and drop of trouble it will net them as a result.

I don't think they're that stupid, and I can't for the life of me see why some of their greatest supporters seem to think that they are.

Pavolink said:
Yeah, they should wait until 2017 when the PS4 installbase is bigger, or wait for 2018, or even better: wait until PS5 launch when Sony has the entire community in its bag and Nintendo has damaged the brand with poor sales and games with questionable quality released all those years...

You get a cookie.

People hopeing for 2017 are probably secretly wishing for nintendos downfall or something.

Nintendo needs the 2016 launch for its NX.

I don't think Nintendo have aimed at going against rivals in a long time. PS and Xbox are too strong. But lots of douche bags wii only had 'casual games' is a total lie. That's like saying xbox 360 only had casual kinect games. Sure the wii had plenty off crap games but also plenty of proper games too. Metroid,medal of honour, COD, red steel, zelda, xenoblade to name a few

Anyway if NX continues to deliver a topnotch Zelda games it's a +1 from me. But then I buy all homeconsoles at one point or another anyway.

Around the Network
Nogamez said:
I don't think Nintendo have aimed at going against rivals in a long time. PS and Xbox are too strong.

Ignoreing them or acting like they arnt there, wont help matters any though.  2017 release is too late.

I agree and disagree.

Agree: Launching a similar system to PS4 in 2016 would be suicide. If it is simply offering the Nintendo take on the PS4 experience, none of the One and 4 buyers will be tempted, and it will create little buzz.

Disagree: There are two options it can work. NX could be significantly MORE powerful than PS4. HBM, newer graphics, etc. A system powerful enough to compete, to some extent, with PS5 and provide a premium product over 4One. Tech heads and early adopters may have interest in this if it was done well. It would have to be expensive, but people will pay for the right product.

The other option is that it is Wii-like, and offers a new experience beyond power. It could match PS4 to enable multi-plats, but also offer something beyond. Depending on what this "new experience" is, the project could work. It just has to be fun and innovative. What I disagree on is that the product would then have to be focused on casuals. You say it would be be like Wii and thus not get Metroid Prime. Wii had Metroid Prime. And the most "mature" Zelda. And one of the finest 3D Marios. So NX being Wii-like does not mean it can't or won't have core games. Quite the opposite, appealing to core gamers with SMG, Z:TP, Prime 3 and the Virtual Console was a big part of Wii's success. Wii U failed much more in this regard than Wii, despite its attempts at being a more core console.

Teeqoz said:

bdbdbd said:

I mean the third parties, in practise, are Activision with Call of Duty and EA with it's sports games. All the other meaningful publishers are Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft.

Take Two? Bethesda? Warner Brothers?

Nope. In this "console wars" context we are talking only about the third parties that have the muscle to challenge the first parties, and can churn out multi-million selling games constantly, and on top of that, have a franchise with huge sales, not a single breakaway game every four or so years.

I mean, it doesn't matter if third parties have success on Nintendo's consoles or not, because all they do is whine how they can't compete or Nintendo not being friendly with them. Secondly, if the guys second-from-top have success, all you can hear how third parties can't have success on Nintendo's platform (because the top dogs didn't).

Only thing that changes is, that when Nintendo makes games that sell (consoles) and third parties "can't compete" they whine and publish games, and when Nintendo games are so bad they don't sell (consoles), and third parties "can compete" they whine and do not publish their games. And that's something that I've seen happening for more than 25 years already.

And let's face it: if you want to play the third parties' games, you buy a console that has the games you like.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Mummelmann said:

lol, what? I think some of you live in a world where either something is a 100m record breaking success story or its biggest flop of all time. A traditional system for an established brand like Nintendo is the definition of safe. It'll comfortably grow they're audience beyond what the Wii U achieved but isn't garunteed to be a runaway success.

1. "No one will provide support out of goodwill". The reality of console launches is that the key publishers almost always lend their hand because its smart business, this is why COD, Assassins Creed etc were on Wii U at launch. This is why the unproven Wii was supported by Ubisoft, EA and Activision from day one. If a system has the potential to succeed the big publishers will contribute some support. If the NX mirrors PS4 in architecture whilst being notably more powerful, then it fits into most developers/pulishers and gamers pipeline and vision for the future (unlike the Wii U/Wii). For developers, even if they predict PS5 will enter the market in 2019 and dominate, the NX represents and expansion of that auidence and that future. An intelligent guess is that many devs will support the NX, especially the japanese if was release in 2017 with intention competing with the PS5 as its fairly weaker (but still a "generation" ahead of the PS4) rival.

Beyond that, developers really and truly care about specs. If they can take a game that is struggling to run at 1080p 30fps on PS4 and can easily get the same title running at 60fps and with all the bells whilstles on a brand new platform with hungry early adopters, you can bet they'd be paying attention to that new platform. The Wii U was dead on arrival, not built for the future yet not really alighed to the previous gen either with its weak CPU and campy marketing and branding. If Nintendo themselves provide a strong launch line up, and gear the system towards the core you have a system that is garunteed to surpass the Wii U in sales and third party support. I think many of you forget how the poorly the Wii U was conceieved and branded... Core third party titles were never going to succeed on this. 

2. "Nintendo hasn't really had a say in this market for at least two decades" and yet the Gamecube made more profit then the PS3 and 360, lets look a success in meaningful terms. If Nintendo can profit, restore their image and build an audience above 20m they're on the right track. Their 1st party franchises continue to be the most in demand in the industry. Believe it or not there are tons of people who prefer Nintendo's exclusive offerings over Sonys/Microsofts (I'm one of them, yet I don't own a Wii U and never wanted to one). The games which semented the PS2 era (FInal Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Tekken, GTA) are no longer excluisve to sonys platforms and have largely been replaced with huge multiplatform annualised releases for which the PS4/X1 owe their success. Development across game platforms is now the most unified its ever been (unlike the hugely distinct PS2/Gamecube/Xbox trio) so Nintendo are in a good position to renter the market. For as long as there isn't another PS2 on the market (A dominating system arriving hot on the heels of its successful predeccessor, a year ahead of its competitors with a monopoly on all major third party titles) then I really don't see the huge "ridiculous" risk of Nintendo going the traditional route.

It doesn't mean selling at a big loss (the PS4 didn't at launch), it doesn't require that Nintendo "win" the generation, it doesn't require Nintendo pour tons of resources and marketing into an entirely unproven gimmick. It simply means Nintendo operate within a space where there is a known 150m+ audience, within the appeal of the gaming mass mass media, and where there is clear visible room for them to grow as a competitor. As opposed to getting lost like they have with the Wii U, in charge of gimmick no one cares for and with no realistic means to grow their audience. 

3) If they have a powerful USP hiding under their sleaves, thats going attract Wii numbers and introduce a whole new pillar of games then thats of course preferable but as far as we're aware, they don't. In which case they either release a cheap box and sell themselves as a "me too!"  3 years down the road (Something thats never been known to work). Or they introduce themselves as future sent system, a generation ahead of what you've had a home for the past few years, the cornerstone of every successful home console minus the Wii.

kitler53 said:
bdbdbd said:
Ultrashroomz said:
I feel like it won't matter that much, cause even if the NX doesn't come out till late 2017, there are going to be a lot of expectations that the NX will have to fill as a result.

Honestly, I'm not sure what Nintendo can do to convince mass amounts of people to move over their next platform.

If they want the masses to move on their next platform, they just choose tha arcade route they did with Wii and DS. Currently there's no competition on the market.

NX is going to a different philosophy anyway than what we are used to in the console market.

i find that statement ludicrous.  the competition there is even more greater.

+ the android, windows, and amazon based equivalents.  that is not an easy market to compete in.

You're right, that's not an easy market to compete in, that's why Nintendo should go for arcade gameplay, instead of gimmicky you find in Android store etc. There are few rhythm games that could classify as arcade, but mostly it's at best more like Wario Ware, ie quirky and gimmicky.

You can find this excact same problem in Wii U or 3DS shop, they're full of games that are just gimmicky, just like Android and Apple stores.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.