By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Opinion: As earlier NX releases, as bigger are the chances it wont be what your waiting for.

Did he just essentially say the NX should never, EEEEEEEVVVEEEERRRR release??
Or is it ok if it launches the same day as PS5?? Because apparently WiiU's failings came from launching in 2012 against the massive install of PS360 and NX cant launch yet because of PS4/XBO massive install base that it would go up against... your making no fucking sense OP

Around the Network

Yes gimme nx im dying

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

Nintendo need to launch in 2016.
The longer they wait the worse it ll be for them.

What do people expect them to do? wait until 2019/2020? for the new Xbox Two + Playstation 5 ?

Luke888 said:
teigaga said:
Agree mostly except the Wii thing. Having a gimmick doesn't equal another Wii, nor does it mean absence of core franchises. If they're launching in 2016, they have to be going for USP which would enable them to be a secondary console purchase. A handheld/Console hybrid where you have a portable around Wii U strength and then a docked device close to X1 power would achieve this. They'd have at least 50m users waiting to adopt simply for the handheld function and then another 15-30m for the home console depending on how much support it gets.

Alternatively they could simply be releasing a 9th gen system early to the market, so the system isn't just there to compete with PS4/X1, but there to replace them a few years down the road. In the meantime (2016/2017) hardcore Nintendo fans and core console gamers who care about specs/performance will provide the system with its early adopters. Problem with this logic is that it'd make much more sense to release a system designed to replace the PS4 in 2017, rather then 2016 but maybe Nintendo are going down a scalable hardware route, something one of their recent patents hinted at.

Again, explain me why it's better to try and replace a console with 70M userbase instead of one with 50M userbase...

1.User fatigue. Many people who  bought the PS4 early in its life will begin to see it as somewhat dated and the idea of replacement is more appealing. 
2. Power. The bigger a power leap they can demonstrate at an affordable price, the better the appeal of the system, both to gamers and developers alike. 

teigaga said:
Luke888 said:

Again, explain me why it's better to try and replace a console with 70M userbase instead of one with 50M userbase...

User fatigue. Many people who  bought the PS4 early in its life will begin to see it as somewhat dated and the idea of replacement is more appealing. 

That wont happend by 2017.... 2016/2017 will be the PS4s peak years, and there will still be strong game support for it.

Maybe 2018? . _ . that just feels like its forever away.

Can you imagine the Wii u in 2017? or even makeing it through 2016?

I stand by my "the longer it takes to launch, the worse for nintendo".

Around the Network
teigaga said:
Luke888 said:

User fatigue. Many people who  bought the PS4 early in its life will begin to see it as somewhat dated and the idea of replacement is more appealing. 

That's basically the argument Microsoft used against the Wii back in the day, that they would "upgrade" to a 360 once they were tired of the Wii. I don't believe it's a very good argument, to be honest.

Well it depends on what u want and expect from NX. I don't personally want a PS/XB clone, instead I want Nintendo to unify their handheld & console to offer a "family of devices" that share a software library. If they do this than it doesn't really matter when it releases in relation to the others because it's not aimed at the same market.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Mummelmann said:
teigaga said:
Luke888 said:

That's basically the argument Microsoft used against the Wii back in the day, that they would "upgrade" to a 360 once they were tired of the Wii. I don't believe it's a very good argument, to be honest.

Well we honestly have no figures on how many Wii owners later got a 360, im sure there is plenty of cross over but thats not a good comparison anyway. A fair portion of the Wii audience were essentially non gamers outside of wii sports/wii fit (same with DS games ala brain training, nintendogs). When Microsoft made that statement they partially expecting that those extreme casual/non gamers to eveolve into core gamers  and upgrade to a core gaming system. That isn't part of the argument here, the premise is that Nintendo will release a fairly traditional, future proof console ahead of the competition to absorb their late life userbase. A better comparison would be PS2 owners, moving onto the 360 in 2006/7 when the PS3 was hugely overpriced and slow to generate system selling exclusives.

Yeah, they should wait until 2017 when the PS4 installbase is bigger, or wait for 2018, or even better: wait until PS5 launch when Sony has the entire community in its bag and Nintendo has damaged the brand with poor sales and games with questionable quality released all those years...

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

teigaga said:
Mummelmann said:

Well we honestly have no figures on how many Wii owners later got a 360, im there is plenty of cross over but thats aot a good comparison anyway. A fair portion of the Wii audience were essentially non gamers outside of wii sports/wii fit (same with DS games ala brain training, nintendogs). When Microsoft made that statement they partially expecting that those extreme casual/non gamers to eveolve into core gamers  and upgrade to a core gaming system. That isn't part of the argument here, the premise is that Nintendo will release a fairly traditional, future proof console ahead of the competition to absorb their late life userbase. A better comparison would be PS2 owners, moving onto the 360 in 2006/7 when the PS3 was hugely overpriced and slow to generate system selling exclusives.

But the 360 had massive 3rd party support, even better than the PS3 for most of its life. The odds that Nintendo can offer on their platforms what enticed buyers into getting an Xbox or a PS are slim to none, even if they choose the "hardcore" route.
No one will provide support out of goodwill and most developers will be busy milking the PS and Xbox installed bases.
A hardcore NX installed base will not grow without proper support, and proper support will not arrive without a proven audience or extreme money-hatting, there is just no way this is a viable strategy.

The 360 and PS3 were always going to appeal to the customer base, or potential customer base, of the PS2, but Nintendo hasn't really had a say in this market segment for at least two decades, likely more, and there is absolutely nothing to suggest they will get a say now with a new console. Especially coming off of a product line that have made them an obscure curiousity for said customer base.

No, I maintain that this is a ridiculous strategy if they try it, and it would be their worst move in a very long time (even worse than the Wii U).