By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would you be OK with Nintendo killing the Wii U so early?

Are you ok with killing the Wii U so early?

Yes 320 53.60%

No 277 46.40%

Total:597

Maybe I'd rather the succesor not release until 2017. But in the end I think the Wii U is an awesome system and has enough awesome game to make me very happy with my purchase. I mean I still recommend people to buy it now, as the games really are fantastic. So I can live with it if NX does release this year.

Spending warm summer days indoors   

Writing frightening verse

To a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, WiiU, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, Mega Drive, Game Gear, PS1, PS2, PSP, XBOX 360, Atari Lynx

Around the Network

Yep, the system is on the verge of death with only a handful of actual retail releases each year. Why would you want another 2-3 years of that. Fall 2016 will mark 4 years on the market which is more or less what the N64, Gamecube and Xbox had. Difference is they had superior software support, an extra year on the market isn't going to change the Wii U's legacy or peoples value of the system. They just need to make sure they deliver Zelda this year,

It honestly feels like it's been dragging on the past year if I'm being honest.

RolStoppable said:
Lucas-Rio said:

If the Wii U had two more years and a true price drop, it could have reached gamecube levels.

They released a console at premium price and now they are burrying it.  There is nothing next year except Zelda (potential multi platform with NX) and Starfox.

I bought the Wii U at MK8 release but for the NX I may wait longer if they don't kill the system 6 months after. In my opinion Nintendo should have assumed the Wii U 1-2 years more.

Well, your opinions are often ill-conceived. Of course you are entitled to have them, but you aren't entitled to receive agreement.

There's no point in reaching GC levels of sales and it is already the year 2016, so try to work on having better informed opinions.

You are free to leave this thread and never come back. I am not aksing anything from you.

There is a point not launching a new home console 3 years after the competition. A mid gen console is the hardest thing to do. It makes little sense.

From someone who doesn't own a Wii U (so my opinion is biased) but who is very interested in the "potential" that NX could offer I really hope its this October/November that the NX will launch. I can probably say there is a very high chanceI will never buy a Wii U for a few reasons I think its likely the NX will have full BC so I can play the games that Wii U has to offer on the NX and the main been the chance of it been replaced in less than a year and if I wait and find out its 2017 at E3 then your in the same situation again.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Lucas-Rio said:

You are free to leave this thread and never come back. I am not aksing anything from you.

There is a point not launching a new home console 3 years after the competition. A mid gen console is the hardest thing to do. It makes little sense.

Okay, since you've previously said that console lifecycles (before a successor launches) are growing to 7-8 years, the current statement means that you are advocating a 2019 release for NX at the earliest. That's assuming that Sony and Microsoft launch new systems after only 7 years (so in 2020) and Nintendo wants a year headstart.

And you think it's better to release a new console 3 years after the competition released their console , when the PS4 will be at full swing (more than 50 millions) and the Xone at 25-30 millions?

I hope the NX will succeed better than the Wii U but I question Nintendo's strategy. They missed big time on the Wii U and rushing another console in desperation isn't goint to be as easy as you think.

it needs to happend for a NX launch in 2016 which is needed... so yes.

Darwinianevolution said:
JEMC said:
Azuren said:
Yes and no.

Yes, because I already spent money on a Wii U.

No, because I would have spent that money anyway.

Honestly, though, people should be allowed to send a code from their Wii U to Nintendo to request a discount on NX. It could be limited to one per console, so only around 11 million-ish of these codes would be eligible.

I like the idea, but hoping a discount on their next hardware is unrealistic.

What they could do is launch the new account system on Wii U and then offer a free NX game (or a 50% discount) if you jump from a Wii U to an NX during the first year.

OT. I would have preferred if Nintendo had supported it more, and I'm sad that they have to kill it so soon, but its sales are terrible and the sad true is that this is the better thing Nintendo can do.

Actually, if the NX is Backwards compatible, what they should do is to offer a digital copy of one or two WiiU games. Those titles are ones whose sales are going to go down when the NX comes out, but they still are big incentives to purchase hardware. They get new games and keep the interest for new NX software high.

But that is harder to do because they should have a range of 4 or 5 games to choose from, and there is the chance that someone already has all those games.

By giving away (or giving a big discount on) one NX game, Nintendo makes sure that no one has played that game, and that at the same time gives them the advantage of deciding which game to use with that offer, but they also encourage the migration to the new platform because otherwise we couldn't play that game.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Yes and make the nx powerfull enough to compete with the 4 and the bone and nintendo dont forget to make it backwards compatible

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

I think we´ll have to wait and see how it goes in 2016 for the Wii U :S
The difference between the Saturn and the Wii U is that the Saturn was suffering the bad decisions that were made with the add-ons of the Genesis and also the bad relation between Sega of America and Sega of Japan. Such a sad story T-T