By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would you be OK with Nintendo killing the Wii U so early?

Are you ok with killing the Wii U so early?

Yes 320 53.60%

No 277 46.40%

Total:597

If they're able to imrpove greatly with their next platform, then I personally have no problem.

2016 will probably be the last full year for the Wii U anyways.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network

Yes. I can't wait until late 2017 to get myself an NX, plus I can't picture any game that they could make on Wii U that isn't announced yet, the library is pretty much done :v
also Nintendo would lose one year of momentum by releasing NX next year since it'd be one year more near to PS5/X2 than what they could be by the end of this year...

Yes, because the fifth year of the last 3 Nintendo consoles was absolute shit.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

If it lasts 4 years that is only 1 year less then most consoles last (5 years). Nothing to flip out over considering it's the worst selling home console for them ever. It's time to move on, and I'm a year 1 owner of 3ds, Wii U, and N3ds. Let the NX era begin (day 1 NX buyer ready and waiting to spend money here

As much as I love the Wii U, I could do with something new

Around the Network

The GBA also only lasted 4 years and so did the original XBox and not only did both sell better than the Wii U and had good successors but their successors were the best selling systems that both Nintendo and MS ever had.

Lucas-Rio said:

Assuming the rumors are true and the NX is a home console and not an handheld and is realeasing end of 2016:

It would mean that the Wii U only lasted 4 years on the market, and even less in term of developpment effort seeing that Nintendo practically stopped developping for the Wii U as only Zelda will be released as a new significant game. That reduce the Wii U life to 3 years.

Even the GC had a longer life.

Nintendo could have supported the Wii U for 1-2 more years, realeasing software and waiting to release a new console for the next generation.

SEGA did the same move with the Saturn and it hurt their brand because their consumers wouldn't be sure their next console would be supported.

We still did not got games like a proper 3D Mario, a Paper Mario , an Animal Crossing and Zelda is taking forever to developp and may even be released  on the NX too.

Wii U will get some big games in 2016. so thats 4 years, not 3. And GC fifty year was terrible. Aslo MS kiled original Xbox after 4 years, I dont see that dameged brand at all.

And yes, 3D Mario World is proper 3D Mario game.

You do realize the were only 2-3 releases in the GCs last 2 years with the fifth year only having TP, saying it had a longer life isn't saying much when the U has more releases in its final year then the GC did in its last 2 year. Wii U isn't the first console to have a 4 year life regardless.

Yes, as long as Zelda U is Wii U exclusive.

Azuren said:
Yes and no.

Yes, because I already spent money on a Wii U.

No, because I would have spent that money anyway.

Honestly, though, people should be allowed to send a code from their Wii U to Nintendo to request a discount on NX. It could be limited to one per console, so only around 11 million-ish of these codes would be eligible.

I like the idea, but hoping a discount on their next hardware is unrealistic.

What they could do is launch the new account system on Wii U and then offer a free NX game (or a 50% discount) if you jump from a Wii U to an NX during the first year.

OT. I would have preferred if Nintendo had supported it more, and I'm sad that they have to kill it so soon, but its sales are terrible and the sad true is that this is the better thing Nintendo can do.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.