By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - 2015 is the 3rd lowest movie theatre attendance in the past 20 years in the US

I updated the thread to point out that this is for the US only as we don't have data for other countries. In Australia, the average number of times people go to the movies per year has dropped by 13% in the past 10 years and 36% in the past 20 years.

Around the Network

Yet another causality of the internet. It's such a hideous goddess bitch.

JetSetter said:
This confuses me. Last time I checked every big name movie was passing up the billion dollar mark like it was always that way or something. I figured that people were going to the movies alot more nowadays.

Ticket prices are higher, attendance is lower.

AlfredoTurkey said:
JetSetter said:
This confuses me. Last time I checked every big name movie was passing up the billion dollar mark like it was always that way or something. I figured that people were going to the movies alot more nowadays.

Ticket prices are higher, attendance is lower.

True. Another reason might be in the idea that people will just think to "redbox" or "netflix" a movie when it becomes available for such services. 

Lawlight said:
I updated the thread to point out that this is for the US only as we don't have data for other countries. In Australia, the average number of times people go to the movies per year has dropped by 13% in the past 10 years and 36% in the past 20 years.

Well I'm pretty sure that the one of the few foreign markets that is growing and growing by a lot is China since its about to overtake the US as the number one market.

Around the Network

it's not just movies,.. people hate leaving their homes for anything these days. probably because everytime i leave the house someone tries to gun me down.

Not even the almighty SWTFA could stop this?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Part of the problem - for it is multifaceted - is many movies - most movies - aren't produced with the big screen in mind but the small screen. Quality isn't as high as it could be and of course all shots are made so no meaningful detail is lost in the small screen transition. And of course CGI abuse which holds up a lot better on a TV than a screen the size of a house. Contrast this with Nolan films for example that use IMAX film when possible, prefer practical effects, and use shots tailored to massive screens. Watching a Nolan film - Interstellar being a notable example of this - on a TV doesn't remotely compare to the experience in a cinema. However, some decrease was inevitable. Movies come out in stores much faster and in far better quality than they did in decades past. At least some of the incentive to go to the theater was bound to be lost. However, it should plateau. Another major problem is all these absolutely awful filler movies are devaluing the experience. Also, during dry spells they really should put the big, spectacular, best selling films back into the Imax. Don't waste theater space on garbage like Pixel.

bananaking21 said:
thats because everything that releases now days is generic and most likely stupid super hero movie. or a reboot to an old franchise.

when was the last time we got a new blockbuster that was actually fresh and new from hollywood?

without comic book nerds who cobble up everything that marvel and DC throw at them, hollywood would collapse.

To answer your question, I'd go with the Martian.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

ohmylanta1003 said:
bananaking21 said:
thats because everything that releases now days is generic and most likely stupid super hero movie. or a reboot to an old franchise.

when was the last time we got a new blockbuster that was actually fresh and new from hollywood?

without comic book nerds who cobble up everything that marvel and DC throw at them, hollywood would collapse.

To answer your question, I'd go with the Martian.

hmmm the martian was a good movie. but im not sure if its considered an action block buster.