By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - 2015 is the 3rd lowest movie theatre attendance in the past 20 years in the US

Movies are too expensive anymore. I end up just waiting until it hits blu-ray.

Around the Network
leyendax69 said:
Insidb said:

En Los Estados Unidos, pagamos para el cine con nuetros ninos.

Mi espanol no es muy bien...

Lo hiciste bien amigo. Toma, te presto una ñ

Que es "una ñ?" No comprendo la palabra.

Y gracias, mi amigo.

It's so strange because my country is basically the pirate master and yet ticket sales are up YOY (at least they were last year). It really feels like people go to the cinema way more now than before.

We do have lots of promotions tho and I never spend more than $4 for a ticket. Monday-Wendsday the price is $2 for the cinema I usually go to.

Insidb said:
leyendax69 said:

Y gracias, mi amigo.

Perdón por entrometerme en su conversación, pero "ñ" no es una palabra es una letra. El otro usuario te dijo eso porque espaÑol se escribe con "ñ" no "n". Además de ser la letra que más caracteriza al idioma castellano y lo deferencia del inglés.

Darwinianevolution said:
I don't know about the US, but at least in Spain the cinema is horribly expensive. Without any special discount, a ticked could cost 7-8€, imagine the cost for a family of four to go see a film together. No wonder movie piracy is all the rage.

Same here (Brazil),and if you want to eat something... it's extremely expensive as well. I'd rather buy a console game than go to 2 or 3 movie sessions. :P

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Around the Network

I'm not surprised, with how easy a movie can be pirated and the excessively expensive tickets, with the former to be blamed for the latter. At least over here in PR, tickets are still lower, nearly half of what people pay in the states. Last year, my local theatre increased the adult ticket prices from $6.75 to $7.00. However, other theatres have slightly higher prices like $8 or $9, but not higher than that for the normal theatres. What really surprises me is that even with all those blockbusters last year, nearly breaking records here and there, still managed a lackluster year for theater attendance.

Insidb said:
leyendax69 said:

Y gracias, mi amigo.

ñ is a letter in spanish, not a word. I was just telling you because I assume it's not in your keyboard. For example kid or child=niño at least you seem to know that xD Well, let's leave it there since this is a little off topic hah

tiff3110 said:
It's so strange because my country is basically the pirate master and yet ticket sales are up YOY (at least they were last year). It really feels like people go to the cinema way more now than before.

We do have lots of promotions tho and I never spend more than $4 for a ticket. Monday-Wendsday the price is $2 for the cinema I usually go to.

They could be dropping the price faster though, it's not more important the profit? And well idk your country, but it seems like every market outside the us is growing

Darwinianevolution said:
I don't know about the US, but at least in Spain the cinema is horribly expensive. Without any special discount, a ticked could cost 7-8€, imagine the cost for a family of four to go see a film together. No wonder movie piracy is all the rage.

this^^^

I think people exaggerate the effect internet/streaming has had on movie theaters. people still LOVE to go out with their friends/family to see movies

but the reality is that a lot of people don't mind waiting a few months to pay a few bucks at Redbox and watch a movie late, but cheap

movie theaters are mega expensive when you combine ticket + food costs. if places would let you bring in your own food (granted some of us obviously sneak) then that would be different. But I guess thats understandable due to movie theaters making almost nothing on ticket sales and their profit specifically coming from concessions

that said paying like 12$ x however many people, plus like 15$ for a popcorn and a drink (possibly x2 or x3), ends up being the opposite of cheap

I think part of the movie theater decline is a bit the cost. even beyond inflation it seems like movie theater prices are way high. I mean I've noticed like 50% increases in overall prices on food/tickets compared with a decade ago, and that's far outpacing inflation

at any rate I don't think 10/15% decline in ticket sales is really that big of a deal when you consider technology today and arguably that some years will have worse movies than others. personally I didn't really find myself attracted to THAT many movies in 2015 that I felt bothered to go see.... hopefully 2016 is better. the answer to good movies isn't a CGI fest and I just hope the movie studios start understanding that more. like they see how well the new Star Wars movie has done with practical effects for the most part

bananaking21 said:
thats because everything that releases now days is generic and most likely stupid super hero movie. or a reboot to an old franchise.

when was the last time we got a new blockbuster that was actually fresh and new from hollywood?

without comic book nerds who cobble up everything that marvel and DC throw at them, hollywood would collapse.

These movies you described are the ones that prevented 2015 to be down YoY compared to 2014 so Im not too surewhats your point. Those are the movies ppl go see, the problem lies with the "intelectual" or "Oscar" movies that are getting less and less views. Even Hatefull 8 wich is a Tarantino movie isnt doing so well.