By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo president: Nintendo NX is in steady development, no rush into market

RolStoppable said:
Aeolus451 said:

They didn't support their consoles with enough mature themed games, used a normal controller right off the bat and had 3rd party support. They haven't tried that path yet. Hell, if it just did the first two, I would probably buy a nintendo console. Nintendo pumps out a lot of exclusive  games but the vast majority of those games aren't interesting. All it really has to do is make those games interesting to be more successful in the gaming market. 

The GameCube got exclusive Star Wars and Resident Evil games in its first year, plus Nintendo's own Eternal Darkness. Also got lots of multiplatform games. The GC found itself quickly in the death spiral despite what would be considered sufficient for a first year lineup.

But the controller is probably not normal enough to qualify, so we are supposed to pretend that Nintendo never seriously tried that path. More powerful, yet cheaper than the PS2. Exclusive top-rated games.

If you take a serious look at the success or lack thereof of Nintendo platforms, you should quickly realize that success came from the opposite of what you would have liked them do. Therefore your above conclusion (make games more interesting to you = success) doesn't make sense.

It was not a serious attempt at that path. They quickly abandoned it.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

I think they need to be even bolder than that. They need to honestly redefine a lot of their incredibly outdated hardware/software philosophies. They need a top to bottom company rethink that is actually in touch with what the market is in 2016, not 2006 or 1996 or 1986. They need to wake up and make some real tangiable changes. 

Mobile should become their main outlet for casuals/low cost kids market. Why keep banging your head against a wall for this audience when Apple/Google sell way more than the Wii ever could dream of. Nintendo's goal here should be to become more of the top 3-5 mobile game providers in the world. This will be earn them monstrous amounts of profit and take care of this lower cost demographic. Let Apple/Google do the leg work for a change, Nintendo has access to hundreds of millions of consumers here, more than any game system could allow them. So take advantage of it.

The portable IMO should take over the position the "traditional Nintendo console" has had in the past ... that is kind of the in-between device that is relatively affordable. Today mobile tech allows for XB360 or better visuals, this is enough for most/all Nintendo IP. With such a huge leap in mobile computing power for cheap, it's time to rethink what such a platform can be. Add the ability to actually use it as a console on top of being a portable (streams wirelessly to a TV). Now you have an affordable all-in-one portable that can double as a home device for the "family/Nintendo-only" gamer that can be played anywhere with "good enough" visuals even for a TV. $200-$250.

The dedicated console concept should change for 2016, consoles are no longer popular in Japan, and since your kids/low cost market is well served by the above two pillars, go upmarket with your home-only console. The console should be very high-end so that it can handle very high end Western PC/third party games with the ability to play the same Nintendo games from the portable, just at higher effects. This also frees Nintendo from the problem of having to make two discreet software libraries, which they clearly are unable to cope with. This product should be aimed for the US/Euro markets and pro players, no nonsense like it needs to be small enough to fit inside a hobbit's living room and only consume 30 watts or electricity. Americans/Europeans don't give a shit about that stuff, go big or go home. $350, 14nm/16nm Arctic Islands GPU that outperforms the PS4 by an undeniable gap and is upgradable to 4K down the line so Sony/MS cannot simply just make a stronger piece of kit and call it a day. 

The POINT of hardware is to get people to simply have access to your games. That's all. So Stop acting like you need to go on a crusade as to why VR/HD/online/CD is "wrong" and just let people play the fucking games. Also making or obsessively focusing on any one demographic is stupid, your responsibility as a platform maker is to have a wide breadth of content that makes everyone happy, Sony understands this which is why in actuality, Playstation is far a more mainstream brand than "Nintendo" these days. 

You cant sell in 2016. only gaming handheld device for $200-250 when you having some great smartphones and tablets that play also games for that price.

Also Nintendo won't release in middle of this generation home console that will have higher price $50-100 than very popular PS4 (and X1) and expecting that will sell good. Say for instance end of 2016. Very popular PS4 will have $250-300 price, and in that time Nintendo release home console that will have price of $350, again that console will buy only Nintendo fans even if concept is great. Why!? Because most popular console on world is $100 cheaper.

Nintendo probable will again try something similar like Wii, new concept, afordible and mass appeling, that means $150-200 for handheld and $250-300 for home console.

You acting like very strong hardware will change something for Nintendo, it want, we saw that on case of GC, only point is that you dont have much weaker hardware than competitors if you want 3rd party, but stronger Nintendo hardware than very popular PS4 in middle of generation that will have higher price than PS4 will do more harm than good for that Nintendo console. In this very complicated sitiuation, best scenario for Nintendo is to relase something similar like Wii, new concept, afordible and mass appeling, and I thinke they will do that.

Miyamotoo said:

You cant sell in 2016. only gaming handheld device for $200-250 when you having some great smartphones and tablets that play also games for that price.

Also Nintendo won't release in middle of this generation home console that will have higher price $50-100 than very popular PS4 (and X1) and expecting that will sell good. Say for instance end of 2016. Very popular PS4 will have $250-300 price, and in that time Nintendo release home console that will have price of $350, again that console will buy only Nintendo fans even if concept is great. Why!? Because most popular console on world is $100 cheaper.

Nintendo probable will again try something similar like Wii, new concept, afordible and mass appeling, that means $150-200 for handheld and $250-300 for home console.

You acting like very strong hardware will change something for Nintendo, it want, we saw that on case of GC, only point is that you dont have much weaker hardware than competitors if you want 3rd party, but stronger Nintendo hardware than very popular PS4 in middle of generation that will have higher price than PS4 will do more harm than good for that Nintendo console. In this very complicated sitiuation, best scenario for Nintendo is to relase something similar like Wii, new concept, afordible and mass appeling, and I thinke they will do that.

The hardware was pretty much the only thing Nintendo got right with the GameCube, it was a lot more dev-friendly than the PS2! The console looked like a lunchbox ( the color didn't help. Yes, there were other colors, but the purple console was the console advertised the most), mini discs were inferior to DVDs, the controller lacked some buttons ( and the D-Pad was pretty crappy in games like Capcom vs SNk 2. It's still my favorite controller though. :P), many 1st party games weren't what gamers wanted ( I love Wind Waker, but that game got a lot of shit when it was first revealed. Mario Sunshine didn't fare much better.) They also let go of the shooter market they had with the N64 and Goldeneye, which is why Halo became so successful and pretty much put Xbox on the map.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

AZWification said:
Miyamotoo said:

The hardware was pretty much the only thing Nintendo got right with the GameCube, it was a lot more dev-friendly than the PS2! The console looked like a lunchbox ( the color didn't help. Yes, there were other colors, but the purple console was the console advertised the most), mini discs were inferior to DVDs, the controller lacked some buttons ( and the D-Pad was pretty crappy in games like Capcom vs SNk 2. It's still my favorite controller though. :P), many 1st party games weren't what gamers wanted ( I love Wind Waker, but that game got a lot of shit when it was first revealed. Mario Sunshine didn't fare much better.) They also let go of the shooter market they had with the N64 and Goldeneye, which is why Halo became so successful and pretty much put Xbox on the map.

My point is that strong hardware isn't most important thing for console, and GC was stronger than PS2 and even was more dev-friendly.

Miyamotoo said:
AZWification said:

My point is that strong hardware isn't most important thing for console, and GC was stronger than PS2 and even was more dev-friendly.

But that was back in the day when exclusives were at their peak, jrpgs reigned, and PS2 had 90% (may be slightly exaggerating) on lock. Think of any huge jrpg, Suikoden, Tales Of (yes Nintendo had the best one in the series at this time with Symphonia, but PS2 had Abyss and ... ummmm.... the other I can't remember now), they had Final Fantasy (good Final Fantasy), they had Xenosaga (for better and worse), .Hack, Grandia, Kingdom Hearts... Just an absolute TON of the "in" genre exclusive.

Around the Network
bigtakilla said:

But that was back in the day when exclusives were at their peak, jrpgs reigned, and PS2 had 90% (may be slightly exaggerating) on lock. Think of any huge jrpg, Suikoden, Tales Of (yes Nintendo had the best one in the series at this time with Symphonia, but PS2 had Abyss and ... ummmm.... the other I can't remember now), they had Final Fantasy (good Final Fantasy), they had Xenosaga (for better and worse), .Hack, Grandia, Kingdom Hearts... Just an absolute TON of the "in" genre exclusive.

The X1 is developer friendly and more and more games are being announced as PS4 and PC.

Miyamotoo said:
AZWification said:

Sure! I would like to add that having decently capable hardware won't do harm if the console itself is not expensive.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Wyrdness said:
bigtakilla said:

The X1 is developer friendly and more and more games are being announced as PS4 and PC.

But still takes time and money to port games to it. Most AAA games are going to find a home on both. Exclusives will never 100% go away, but it is FAR less prevalent. Especially with titles that know they could sell a lot of copies on both systems.

bigtakilla said:
Wyrdness said:

But still takes time and money to port games to it. Most AAA games are going to find a home on both. Exclusives will never 100% go away, but it is FAR less prevalent. Especially with titles that know they could sell a lot of copies on both systems.

Yet as console exclusives go the are currently more this gen right now then the were the same point last gen.

Wyrdness said:
bigtakilla said:

Yet as console exclusives go the are currently more this gen right now then the were the same point last gen.

If you aren't counting the Wii, sure. But the Wii was pumping out exclusives because... well, they pretty much had to be exclusives.