By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo means bad news for 3rd parties!

Shane you need to stop lol. Your not convincing anyone.

but anyone expecting third parties to make a concentrated effort on anything but milking Wii while they can and to the extent that they can is going to end up disappointed.Want to show me how I'm supposedly wrong? I'd be real interested in something indicating it.

You mean OTHER than posting the articles saying the Wii is causing developers to shift their focus towards it? (Because I already did that in THIS thread) or other than watching the Wii third party game announcements go from TW07 and Prince of Persia port to Nights:2 Rygar and GH3?

We are ALL watching you ping pong your argument.

Total 3rd party sales on Wii are HIGHER than they are on the PS3, but you say this doesnt matter because the Wii has a higher userbase.

But RE:4 for GC (a comparison YOU brought up) outsold its PS2 counterpart despite the PS2 having a much larger userbase. Yet you ignore this.

Hell even madden for Wii has passed the PS3 version recently.

Ill let you in on a secret. When an EA game (Madden for example) Sells 550k on Wii (not exact numbers just an estimate) and 500k on the PS3. EA isnt going to stop taking the Wii seriously because the Wii has a 6m userbase and PS3 has a 3.5m userbase.

THEY DONT CARE! THEY WANT THEIR GAMES TO SELL MORE MORE MORE. 550k is STILL more than 500k attach rate be DAMNED man. Noone cares about this attach rate garbage but internet board warriors. The developers and publishers care about the number of units their games are pushing.

We are seeing games that sold MILLIONS last gen (VF5 Ridge Racer Gundam) Not even get CLOSE to 500k on the PS3, and your acting like devs are surprised establishes multi million sellers are edging out stuff like elebits? Get real, you would LIKE for them to be that dense, but they know the difference between DBZ on the wii doing 300k and VF5 doing 325k. There is a massive gap in both the development cost and quality of those games. And THOSE are the two number that shouldnt be anywhere near each other.

Like I said, your just saying "devs will not focus on Wii seriously at all" ignoring all of the game announcements and the news articles FROM the industry saying the exact opposite. Saying this over and over to yourself and on message boards is not going to change reality. 

Around the Network

Madden Wii didn't outsell the PS3 version and the gamecube RE4 didn't outsell the PS2 one....

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

johnsobas said:
Madden Wii didn't outsell the PS3 version and the gamecube RE4 didn't outsell the PS2 one....

You are wrong on both fronts. Last time Madden was on the charts for both Wii and PS3 the Wii was behind,it caught it and passed it weeks after that. And RE4 for cube was over a million sold, PS2 version came no where NEAR that.

johnsobas said:

While Resident Evil 4 did sell better on the PS2, it did so by a slim margin. The Gamecube version sold to 1 out of every 15 Gamecube owners: the PS2 version sold to 1 out of every 50 or so. 

But yeah, otherwise this guy is just making up numbers.  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Cipherr said:
johnsobas said:

You are wrong on both fronts. Last time Madden was on the charts for both Wii and PS3 the Wii was behind,it caught it and passed it weeks after that. And RE4 for cube was over a million sold, PS2 version came no where NEAR that.

Thanks for playing?

As you can see by this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

Resident Evil 4 for the Gamecube sold approximately 1.6 million copies. Resident Evil 4 for the PS2 sold approximately 2.1 million.

As you can see on this page: http://vgchartz.com/aweekly.php?page=3&date=39215

The PS3 version of Madden 07 has still sold better than the Wii version -- and also notably, it is still selling more copies on a weekly basis. The gap is (Very slightly) widening, not closing. The total sales are 383,443 for the PS3 version, and 355,759 for the Wii version. 

Please don't just make up stuff.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

thanks for playing...

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

I dont think Wii is selling so well between hardcore gamers ,its success its like the DS ...its selling well between everybody because it is "new " and "fresh " and the wiimote allows for a distinctive marketing . But ,most of those buyers are casual gamers to the bone ,many in fact will just play Wiisports and wont buy another game for a year .Thats happening with the DS right now ,many consoles are sold ,those people buy Nintendogs ,BT or Mario ...and thats it .Sure ,there are enough hardcore to guarantee some games as FF decent sales ,but most of the success outside those heavy-hitters (that continue to be the same after one year and a half ) is kiddie stuff as Dogz ,Catz ,Hannah Montana and Pokemon .That and Mario ,of course ,be it Mario Party ,Paper Mario ,Mario Soccer ,Mario in the Shower or whatever .Kids happen to love Mario ,it seems ,and so does some veteran gamers .In any case ,its nearly all Nintendo software . What I am saying is that Nintendo is replicating exactly the same pattern with the Wii ,and if that happens expect great results for Nintendo ,for Square (although less that last generation ) and for THQ and its movie cash-in.The others will have a hard time .Casual gamers the like of wich are buying the Wii just wont but 7-10 games a year as in the other plattforms ,and the kind of games they are interested is far more restricted and once all start doing the same stuff the competition will be enourmous and only one or two will manage to make benefits aside from Nintendo . And about Nintendo and third party games ...well Nintendo has interest in the third parties supporting them ,of course ,but Nintendo makes money primarily on its hardware and games .Yes ,each Wii game gives them some dollars in revenue through royalties ,but a first party game gives them much more dollars .AS for some developers I know it appears Nintendo doesnt play fair with third parties ,apparently they dont give in developing kits the same quality they keep for themselves so the third party efforts are nearly always half-baked compared to a Nintendo superproduction . As some analyst said ,Nintendo success is reshaping the market to its favour and desires ,but that is beneficial only for Nintendo ,and the losers here (aside from Sony and Microsoft ) are the third parties .

Diomedes1976 said:
I dont think Wii is selling so well between hardcore gamers ,its success its like the DS ...its selling well between everybody because it is "new " and "fresh " and the wiimote allows for a distinctive marketing . But ,most of those buyers are casual gamers to the bone ,many in fact will just play Wiisports and wont buy another game for a year .Thats happening with the DS right now ,many consoles are sold ,those people buy Nintendogs ,BT or Mario ...and thats it .Sure ,there are enough hardcore to guarantee some games as FF decent sales ,but most of the success outside those heavy-hitters (that continue to be the same after one year and a half ) is kiddie stuff as Dogz ,Catz ,Hannah Montana and Pokemon .That and Mario ,of course ,be it Mario Party ,Paper Mario ,Mario Soccer ,Mario in the Shower or whatever .Kids happen to love Mario ,it seems ,and so does some veteran gamers .In any case ,its nearly all Nintendo software . What I am saying is that Nintendo is replicating exactly the same pattern with the Wii ,and if that happens expect great results for Nintendo ,for Square (although less that last generation ) and for THQ and its movie cash-in.The others will have a hard time .Casual gamers the like of wich are buying the Wii just wont but 7-10 games a year as in the other plattforms ,and the kind of games they are interested is far more restricted and once all start doing the same stuff the competition will be enourmous and only one or two will manage to make benefits aside from Nintendo . And about Nintendo and third party games ...well Nintendo has interest in the third parties supporting them ,of course ,but Nintendo makes money primarily on its hardware and games .Yes ,each Wii game gives them some dollars in revenue through royalties ,but a first party game gives them much more dollars .AS for some developers I know it appears Nintendo doesnt play fair with third parties ,apparently they dont give in developing kits the same quality they keep for themselves so the third party efforts are nearly always half-baked compared to a Nintendo superproduction . As some analyst said ,Nintendo success is reshaping the market to its favour and desires ,but that is beneficial only for Nintendo ,and the losers here (aside from Sony and Microsoft ) are the third parties .

Can you explain why the DS has a profoundly higher attach rate than the PSP? In less fancy speak: the average DS owner worldwide is buying almost twice as many games for their DS as the average PSP owner. The core thesis of your post here seems to be that Wii owners -- like DS owners -- won't buy many games for their system, when in fact DS owners have bought tons of games for their system, considerably more than those who own a PSP. Which, I believe, blows apart your entire post.

Am I wrong somehow?

Bodhesatva said:
Diomedes1976 said:

Can you explain why the DS has a profoundly higher attach rate than the PSP? In less fancy speak: the average DS owner worldwide is buying almost twice as many games for their DS as the average PSP owner. The core thesis of your post here seems to be that Wii owners -- like DS owners -- won't buy many games for their system, when in fact DS owners have bought tons of games for their system, considerably more than those who own a PSP. Which, I believe, blows apart your entire post.

Am I wrong somehow?

Bodhesatva is right, and I think it is better for 3rd parties because it sells to a wider audience and in that there is potential for another group of gamers to emerge, its just a cace of who has the imagination and the balls.

My father had a profound influence on me - he was a lunatic

Bodhesatva said:
Cipherr said:
johnsobas said:

Thanks for playing?

As you can see by this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

Resident Evil 4 for the Gamecube sold approximately 1.6 million copies. Resident Evil 4 for the PS2 sold approximately 2.1 million.

As you can see on this page: http://vgchartz.com/aweekly.php?page=3&date=39215

The PS3 version of Madden 07 has still sold better than the Wii version -- and also notably, it is still selling more copies on a weekly basis. The gap is (Very slightly) widening, not closing. The total sales are 383,443 for the PS3 version, and 355,759 for the Wii version. 

Please don't just make up stuff.

This does not matter, as your numbers aren't exactly "accurate" either. The bottom line however is this, as the userbase grows steadily, so too will the number of 3rd party sales. Nintendo is a software dominated house, always have & always will be. Though they are making definitive strides to make the Wii/DS profitable as well for 3rd parties also. Even more so  than in the GC days when they 1st began re-establishing & fostering good 3rd party relationships. (Capcom, Square, the Q-fund, etc.)

"The things we touch have no permanence."