By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FF15 director compares the game to The Last of Us

AlfredoTurkey said:
Aeolus451 said:

Probably in the japan. 

I honestly think that if these Japanese companies would go back to the 80's and 90's way of releasing games where they get remade for western audiences, that they'd do much better. The average US male can't relate to alot of that stuff and it really hurts sales imo. I mean, just LOOK at that guy on the far left. He is about as masculine as Ellen. The main character in the middle isn't much better either. 

This is a japanese game first and foremost.  It's gonna have a japanese feel and look to it. That won't change. In my opinion, it's not that important to relate to the characters so much with their looks but with their personalities. Personally, I'm all for experiencing things from that culture and their perspective. They will only westernize so much to be honest. As far as masulinity goes, I agree the characters should look more masuline but I would be fine with the characters just looking older with less wild haircuts but it wont stop me from playing it. I think that in japan that boyish look is attractive or what's popular versus very masculine looking guys.  

If they just increased the characters' ages by 5 or 10 years in all japanese games, it would help popularize japanese games with the rest of the world. Some of the characters are just too young looking sometimes.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
BasilZero said:

I just hope the execution and the animation is better than Type-0 lol

Considering Type-0 was directed by the same guy who is directing FFXV now....I'm guessing the voice acting is gonna be horrible.

Why does this post read like you haven't seen anything about FF XV?

1. We already know the animation is much better by looking at videos (including the tech demos) or even the playable demo. Type 0 animations are as expected for a PSP game.

2. Same thing about voices. Your comment doesn't even make sense. Tabata is the game director, not a voice or localization director or caster. Why would the voices be bad based on that? Dafuq? Again you can take a look at videos. The voice acting is fine and they said they were making adjustments.

Gotta go fast for the internet points

AlfredoTurkey said:
Ruler said:

Maybe its the fanbase who is confused?

FF15 has some of the best graphics ever made for multiplatform games, open world great gameplay and it looks like a great story about Menhood 

I don't know many men who look like this. 

Flat chested lesbians... maybe.

Nothing really different to what we have seen in japanese games from Square in the past tbh

The more I heard about FFXV, the less I want to play it.

Can't remember the last time I played a good FF game. They all started to suck at X IMO. Will see how this one does but my expectation are very low.

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

I honestly think that if these Japanese companies would go back to the 80's and 90's way of releasing games where they get remade for western audiences, that they'd do much better. The average US male can't relate to alot of that stuff and it really hurts sales imo. I mean, just LOOK at that guy on the far left. He is about as masculine as Ellen. The main character in the middle isn't much better either. 

This is a japanese game first and foremost.  It's gonna have a japanese feel and look to it. That won't change. In my opinion, it's not that important to relate to the characters so much with their looks but with their personalities. Personally, I'm all for experiencing things from that culture and their perspective. They will only westernize so much to be honest. As far as masulinity goes, I agree the characters should look more masuline but I would be fine with the characters just looking older with less wild haircuts but it wont stop me from playing it. I think that in japan that boyish look is attractive or what's popular versus very masculine looking guys.  

If they just increased the characters' ages by 5 or 10 years in all japanese games, it would help popularize japanese games with the rest of the world. Some of the characters are just too young looking sometimes.

I personally don't care either. I get a chuckle out of it (Japanese transgender males etc.) but ultimately, it doesn't bother me. I grew up as a kid of the 80's. Japanese gaming was pretty much gaming personified back then.  

But, it's worth noting that both of us are in the minority when it comes to the mainstream US consumer... as far as males go anyway. I don't think the average COD player would be caught dead playing a game like FF. They'd take a look at those guys or whatever and go "that's fuckin' gay" and move on. That's my argument. That Japanese games are a HARD sell because they don't market their games differently enough in the west.

What the hell is he talking about? He's basically setting up a huge disappointment tbh.

AlfredoTurkey said:
Ruler said:

Maybe its the fanbase who is confused?

FF15 has some of the best graphics ever made for multiplatform games, open world great gameplay and it looks like a great story about Menhood 

I don't know many men who look like this. 

Flat chested lesbians... maybe.

Yeah more homophobia plz,

If you dont like the design then FF isnt for you so move on and stop bitching about a game you wouldnt buy anyways and telling gamers how men are supposed to look like. Go play your God of War or Gears, they have more mascolur male characters if thats what you like

- Tabata seems to hint that a "love story" won't be the main focus in the game

thank goodness.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
AlfredoTurkey said:
VXIII said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
VXIII said:
Flexing our insecurity time already ?
Nice

I'm looking at this from a marketing standpoint only. It's hard to sell a game based on effeminate asian males to a western male consumer.

I not sure about the about that, I believe anime in general has a sizable fanbase all over the world. That is SE target audience. Afterall designing a muscular, bald male isn't hard if they wanted to. I'm not sure about the western culture, but women here will be all over Noctis ( the guy in the middle ) xD

Anyways, your picture are old (so is my avatar) and the look of the characters has changed.

Anime is niche here. It has it's hard core, obbsessed group of fans but not nearly close to mainstream in popularity. Outside of Nintendo, which deals is black magic, it's really difficult to sell Japanese-centric games here anymore. There was a time, but then Sega, Sony and then Microsoft changed everything.

And no they are losing and Halo bombed too. 

User moderated -RavenXtra