By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The next Nintendo Handheld needs to be more powerful

zorg1000 said:
RolStoppable said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
I would have to agree.

Sony's Playstation Vita proved once and for all that powerful hardware is essential in the fight against the growing smartphone market. Nintendo would be foolish not to follow their lead.

Best post so far.

On topic: As if anyone who is interested in handheld gaming would compare specs of dedicated devices and tablets/smartphones. All that matters is that Nintendo settles for reliable and affordable parts to keep hardware costs reasonable and don't make the relationship between their upcoming home console and handheld a headache.

I'm thinking NX portable will be a modest leap over Vita similar to 3DS vs PSP and NX console will be a modest leap over Wii U similar to Wii vs GC.

well, you're thinking wrong. 3ds wasn't a modest leap from psp either. The natural leap will occur.

Around the Network
Thunderbird77 said:
zorg1000 said:

I'm thinking NX portable will be a modest leap over Vita similar to 3DS vs PSP and NX console will be a modest leap over Wii U similar to Wii vs GC.

well, you're thinking wrong. 3ds wasn't a modest leap from psp either. The natural leap will occur.

3DS certainly wasn't a massive leap over PSP.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Thunderbird77 said:

What's the actual power difference between the PSP and the 3DS?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

zorg1000 said:
RolStoppable said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
I would have to agree.

Sony's Playstation Vita proved once and for all that powerful hardware is essential in the fight against the growing smartphone market. Nintendo would be foolish not to follow their lead.

Best post so far.

On topic: As if anyone who is interested in handheld gaming would compare specs of dedicated devices and tablets/smartphones. All that matters is that Nintendo settles for reliable and affordable parts to keep hardware costs reasonable and don't make the relationship between their upcoming home console and handheld a headache.

Heh. How is the NX going to handle games like Dragon Quest XI and Final Fantasy XV if it's only a modest leap over the WiiU, a console that is very weak to begin with?

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

AZWification said:
zorg1000 said:

Heh. How is the NX going to handle games like Dragon Quest XI and Final Fantasy XV if it's only a modest leap over the WiiU, a console that is very weak to begin with?

Well, considering that the fanbase for those games is massive in Japan, and Japan loves handhelds, I'm sure they would have no problem taking their time to downgrade the game enough for the handheld. But I'm sure that the NX handheld will be powerful enough to not suffer that much because of it.

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
zorg1000 said:

I'm far from an expert on things like this but i would say roughly the same as PS2 VS GameCube.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Darwinianevolution said:

I'm far from an expert on things like this but i would say roughly the same as PS2 VS GameCube.

I'm still surprised that we have seen relatively few PSP ports on the 3DS. You'd think those companies might want to get quick profits with all of those games.

AZWification said:
zorg1000 said:

How do most PS3/360 handle the majority of PS4/XB1 games? How do Vita & PS4 share so many games? How did 3DS get a port of a PS3/360 game at launch?

Metal Gear Solid V is one of the most impressive PS4 games in terms of size, scope, visuals yet it's able to run fine on decade old hardware that is less than 1/10th as powerful. Most game engines are very scalable.

Thunderbird77 said:
Darwinianevolution said:
With mobile tech evolving as fast as it is, it's bound to be at least 360 levels of power. More powerful than a Vita is obvious, if it can catch the WiiU in specs, that would be sweet. But I suppose they'll make it as strong as they can to make the Fusion idea work well enough. There's no much point on a shared architecture if the power difference kills most of the HH chances.

That's impossible.

To the OP, he says a lot of things that are obvious. Of course the next handheld will be more powerfull. Before the mobile boom, the natural progression would lead to specs around ps360. Since the mobile growth increased demand for portable specs, the 3ds successor should be somewhat more powerfull than a ps3 or x360. 250-300 gflops gpu, 2 gb of ram, better cpu and access to the most up to date open gl, shader model... All for $199 at launch. Just forget a 1080p screen, 720 is more reasonable. I also think the 3d is cheap (and stable) enough that they will keep it forever.

Not even that. Bioshock is was probably the most demanding game on iOS. Even on an iPhone 6 or 6s it couldn't compete with the 360-version:

View on YouTube

We'll probably never know how it runs on an iPhone 6S (because it is incompatible to iOS9).

Does anyone of you know another Android or iOS game which could be on 360/PS3 level? I would gladly try it out. The Android version of Half-Life 2 is unfortunately Nvidia exclusive. :(

The most impressive Benchmark demos on mobile devices so far are Car Chase (GFX Bench, Open GL ES 3.1) and Sling Shot (3DMark, OpenGL ES 3.0) that are on 360/PS3 level.

Here is a short video of Car Chase on my Xperia Z5 compact... whooping 13 fps in 720p, 6 fps in 1080p:

View on YouTube

The fastest Android devices under 7'' reach ~10 fps in 1080p, that would be ~20 fps in 720p, not enough for smooth gameplay on 360/PS3 fidelity. (iOS devices can't handle the car chase demo yet):

I would more expect the NX-handheld to handle games in the graphic quality of the T-Rex demo (GFX Bench, Open GL ES 2.0), which would already be a quantum leap from the 3DS graphics:

View on YouTube

I always thought it was a shame that the 3D tech of the 3DS never really caught on. I think some of the 3D effects are amazing, but so few games made for the 3DS over the past year or so really utilize 3D much. The next Nintendo handheld will likely not have a 3D screen which I think is really too bad.

I mean seriously, people complain about how Nintendo under-utilizes the GamePad, but how about how they under-utilize 3D on the 3DS? People just don't care about it I guess.