By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has Monolith surpassed Retro Studio as new Nintendo elite studio?

Wich one?

I prefer Monolith 232 52.02%

I prefer Retro Studio 214 47.98%

Total:446

Commercial wise the answer is no. Retro is better at selling games. Monolith Soft however is getting better at selling games. I am more excited for their next game than for Retro's. Honestly we should wait until we get our hands on Retro's next game before we come to any conclusion.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Around the Network
Alkibiádēs said:
Wyrdness said:

Prime is the best selling because people thought it was going to be a Halo like shooter it's only when they purchased it and played it when they realised it was completely different this is why the is a large drop in sales between Prime and Echoes and why Corruption was more shooter like in comparison.

Bollocks, the game was never advertised as a Halo-like shooter. 

There's also a huge drop between Metroid and Super Metroid or Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2. It doesn't really mean anything. 

Who said anything about how it was advertised?

It's very well known many people thought it was going to be a Halo like shooter it was one of the reasons the Metroid fanbase caused a massive stir as they felt Metroid was chasing the new trend set by Halo. It's only when people played it when they realised it was well different.

Galaxy 1 and 2 had a sales difference yes but then one sold 11m the other sold 8m which is very much in range of expected sales of each other and the franchise. Prime sold 3m while Echoes dropped back down to 1.2m which is the usual range of the franchise and to reach that number it had a long crawl.

Last edited by Wyrdness - on 14 January 2018

well i wonder if the result would be much different now that it is 2018.

AND NO DO NOT STAR ANOTHER THREAD BOUT THIS LOL...

Retro has been MIA it is getting annoying. wish we knew more what they are currently working on.

Moot question, because Nintendo R&D1 (or whatever it's called now) has always been Nintendo's elite studio.

Nautilus said:
CaptainExplosion said:

So we know now they can do open-world action-adventure and RPGs, but what other genres have they dug into?

While under Nintendo?Only RPG really.Games that only they have made so far are Xenoblade and assists like BOTW.But there are teo caveats to this:They are a newer studio compared to Retro(while under Nintendo) so they will have fewer games as a consequence.And both Xenoblade games only sold 1 million units, so their budget is smaller due to this(and thus their games wont be able to compete with other games that have more money purely in terms of graphics).That may and probably will change with Xenoblade Chronicles 2, since that game , seemingly, is bound to sell way more than the other Xenoblade games, with 2 millions being realistic.

They may tap into a different type of game with what they used to do with their new project(which seems to not be related to Xenoblade), but I think we are at least a year away from some sort of announcement.

It made Disaster: Day of Crisis for the Wii. That's more of an action-adventure game.

Around the Network

Neither is in competition. But if I were to say which is closer to Nintendo then obviously Monolith Soft geographical proximity and culturally are much closer than Retro for better or worse.

No telling which is better though, both do supplemental work on top of working on their own projects.

burninmylight said:
Nautilus said:

While under Nintendo?Only RPG really.Games that only they have made so far are Xenoblade and assists like BOTW.But there are teo caveats to this:They are a newer studio compared to Retro(while under Nintendo) so they will have fewer games as a consequence.And both Xenoblade games only sold 1 million units, so their budget is smaller due to this(and thus their games wont be able to compete with other games that have more money purely in terms of graphics).That may and probably will change with Xenoblade Chronicles 2, since that game , seemingly, is bound to sell way more than the other Xenoblade games, with 2 millions being realistic.

They may tap into a different type of game with what they used to do with their new project(which seems to not be related to Xenoblade), but I think we are at least a year away from some sort of announcement.

It made Disaster: Day of Crisis for the Wii. That's more of an action-adventure game.

Didnt know about this!

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

TheBraveGallade said:
I'd consider monolyth better IF they can create another hit IP. Retro has two.
Insys still blows both away. They've been there since the beginning, developing hardware, and also being in charge and creating three classic ninty ips: wars, fire emblem, and paper mario.

Metroid prime and Donkey Kong are not IPs from Retro. They're Nintendo's original property and Retro just happened to gain access to them. That's Retro's problem for me they have never had their own thing - their own original idea. Granted they did an incredible job with Metroid prime and a decent job with rebooting Donkey Kong.  Monolith soft on the other hand created the Xenoblade series on its own

ninson95 said:
TheBraveGallade said:
I'd consider monolyth better IF they can create another hit IP. Retro has two.
Insys still blows both away. They've been there since the beginning, developing hardware, and also being in charge and creating three classic ninty ips: wars, fire emblem, and paper mario.

Metroid prime and Donkey Kong are not IPs from Retro. They're Nintendo's original property and Retro just happened to gain access to them. That's Retro's problem for me they have never had their own thing - their own original idea. Granted they did an incredible job with Metroid prime and a decent job with rebooting Donkey Kong.  Monolith soft on the other hand created the Xenoblade series on its own

Using an existing IP and massivly reinvigorating and imporving it is as hard as a new ip. I mean just look at star fox...

They worked on DKC:TF, and co-developed MK7 and DKCR3D last gen. DKCR released one year before MK7, and Prime Trilogy the year before DKC:R

I'd say their schedule and releases was pretty good from 2009 to 2014. Their next project should be due this year.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)