By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has Monolith surpassed Retro Studio as new Nintendo elite studio?

Wich one?

I prefer Monolith 232 52.02%

I prefer Retro Studio 214 47.98%

Total:446
Lucas-Rio said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

The topic at hand is "elite studio", and to me that is one that makes ground-breaking, impressive, system-selling AAA games. At the present time, I think there is no question that the leader there is Monolithsoft. Right now they are at the leading edge of RPG gaming, better than S-E. Retro's last title, meanwhile, is one that seems a bit derivative, and hardly had the gaming world buzzing.

Further, when you look at the original mission of Retro, it was to make non-Nintendo style games, games that appeal to the west. I would argue that Monolith is actually doing a better job of that now. DKC is more like a game Nintendo would make in-house, while Xenoblade is the type of title you would see on XBox or PS; the type of game that non-Nintendo fans would talk about.

Ideally I'd like to see both studios expand to two or three full teams, making regular titles. I think Monolithsoft could be the new Squaresoft, with two skilled groups making RPGs. Retro could be the new Rare, making platformers and FPS or TPS/adventures... but they both need more staff. Retro may also need more creative freedom. Monolith, I think, operates with a great deal of autonomy under the lead of Tetsuya Takahashi. I think Retro lacks a clear independent leader, far too often answering to Japan.

What games on PS4 or Xbox are similar to the Xenoblades games? I can't think of one. Monolith Software isn"t making the kind of games that release on these other consoles, they are making very special games in their own leagues that can't be compared to the generic western RPGs.

Monolith made Nintendo a great RPG maker on home console, they perfectly complement Nintendo's offer. Xenoblade went from being an under the radar game announced quickly , not even sure to released in the West, to Xenoblade X, a game launched like the major title it is, with bundles and limited editions.

As for the studios, Monolith seems to me like a place where the group of people from SquareSoft and Namco who left are still fully together. It's easier when everyone stays at the studio  and you don't have to replace people often.

Which is more like Xenoblade X :   Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Dragon Quest, Tales, Final Fantasy or any game made by Nintendo?  The closet game currently in production, I would say, would be Final Fantasy XV.  Monolith's games are like nothing else offered by Nintendo.

Around the Network
Gourmet said:
Best studio is Intelligent Systems and neither have ever taken that position.

^^^

If I had to choose though, I guess monolith soft.

This is tricky.

For me, the Metroid Prime Trilogy is better than the Xenoblade games, however, the last of those games released almost 9 years ago. If we're talking about recent output, then Monolith has surpassed them in my mind, simply because I much prefer Xenoblade to Donkey Kong. Also, it's worth noting that Monolith helped develop Skyward Sword, as well as many other huge Nintendo games recently. I know that Retro has helped with Mario Kart, but it's not quite the same.

Basically, as long as Retro is making Donkey Kong games and Monolith is making Xenoblade games, Monolith will have the upper hand in my book. But overall, Retro has made the superior games, albeit 10+ years ago...

Jumpin said:

Retro Studios vs. Monolithsoft.

Lets look at it this way.

This generation, Retro Studios released Donky Kong Country TF and re-designed some old tracks to be ported over to Mario Kart 7.

Monolithsoft developed or co-developed:
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D
Animal Crossing New Leaf
Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Splatoon
Pikmin
Project X Zone
Project X Zone 2
Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer

Which releases do you like more, the Monolithsoft releases or Retro?

Couple things.

Firstly, up until a recent hiring spree in mid-2014, Retro was roughly half the size of Monolith Soft; a comparison between the two in terms of total output is entirely unfair. They're still 25% smaller and are still restricted to one development studio, whereas Monolith has two (one in Tokyo and one in Kyoto).

Secondly, very minor note, but if you're including re-releases in your comparison, Retro also developed DKCR 3D.

MTZehvor said:
Jumpin said:

This generation, Retro Studios released Donky Kong Country TF and re-designed some old tracks to be ported over to Mario Kart 7.

Xenoblade Chronicles X
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D
Animal Crossing New Leaf
Splatoon
Pikmin
Project X Zone
Project X Zone 2

Couple things.

Firstly, up until a recent hiring spree in mid-2014, Retro was roughly half the size of Monolith Soft; a comparison between the two in terms of total output is entirely unfair. They're still 25% smaller and are still restricted to one development studio, whereas Monolith has two (one in Tokyo and one in Kyoto).

Secondly, very minor note, but if you're including re-releases in your comparison, Retro also developed DKCR 3D.

Then, let's split into 2.

Monolith still developed 4.5 games, more than those 3 that Retro did, with one of them being Xenoblade X and a port of a massive game like Xenoblade. Retro does not have anything to win this comparision.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
MTZehvor said:

Couple things.

Monolith still developed 4.5 games, more than those 3 that Retro did, with one of them being Xenoblade X and a port of a massive game like Xenoblade. Retro does not have anything to win this comparision.

Keep in mind that the "co-developments" mentioned require significantly less people than does developing an entire game. Monolith has the people to develop a game on its own (like X), and assist with several other Nintendo projects. Retro did (and likely still does) not.

To put this into example form, imagine you have a studio with roughly 120 people (i.e Monolith's size) and 60 or so people (Retro's size pre 2014). Let's say, for the sake of argument (I'm sure it would differ from game to game), that you need 55 people to develop a game, and 5 people to assist with the development of a game already in progress. Retro, in this case, can develop one game and assist with one game. Monolith, meanwhile, can develop one game, and assist with 15. If you equate the effort required for assisting with a game to the effort required in order to make a game from scratch, the results will be extremely skewed towards the larger company.

MTZehvor said:
Pavolink said:
MTZehvor said:

Couple things.

Keep in mind that the "co-developments" mentioned require significantly less people than does developing an entire game. Monolith has the people to develop a game on its own (like X), and assist with several other Nintendo projects. Retro did (and likely still does) not.

To put this into example form, imagine you have a studio with roughly 120 people (i.e Monolith's size) and 60 or so people (Retro's size pre 2014). Let's say, for the sake of argument (I'm sure it would differ from game to game), that you need 55 people to develop a game, and 5 people to assist with the development of a game already in progress. Retro, in this case, can develop one game and assist with one game. Monolith, meanwhile, can develop one game, and assist with 15. If you equate the effort required for assisting with a game to the effort required in order to make a game from scratch, the results will be extremely skewed towards the larger company.

Then keep moving the goal post: 1 game vs 1 game. DKCTF vs Xenoblade X. And here there's no excuse. Retro was capable of develop Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2 in a single gen, Metroid Prime 3, MP Trilogy and DKCR on the Wii. They can do a lot better than a simple 2D DK game.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

TheLastStarFighter said:
Lucas-Rio said:

What games on PS4 or Xbox are similar to the Xenoblades games? I can't think of one. Monolith Software isn"t making the kind of games that release on these other consoles, they are making very special games in their own leagues that can't be compared to the generic western RPGs.

Monolith made Nintendo a great RPG maker on home console, they perfectly complement Nintendo's offer. Xenoblade went from being an under the radar game announced quickly , not even sure to released in the West, to Xenoblade X, a game launched like the major title it is, with bundles and limited editions.

As for the studios, Monolith seems to me like a place where the group of people from SquareSoft and Namco who left are still fully together. It's easier when everyone stays at the studio  and you don't have to replace people often.

Which is more like Xenoblade X :   Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Dragon Quest, Tales, Final Fantasy or any game made by Nintendo?  The closet game currently in production, I would say, would be Final Fantasy XV.  Monolith's games are like nothing else offered by Nintendo.

I played Dragon Age when it was given for free by EA, and I found it terrible... Absolutely nothing like Xenoblade.  Xenoblade is a RPG, a genre where Nintendo was lacking, and a JRPG, but there are currently no games like it on the market. Western RPG's are totally different and the other JRPGs have taken the bad road.

MTZehvor said:
Jumpin said:

Xenoblade Chronicles X
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D
Animal Crossing New Leaf
Splatoon
Pikmin
Project X Zone
Project X Zone 2

Couple things.

I did not know Retro was so small, I thought they were around the same size than Monolith before Monolith opened a new studio. 50-60 people is very small to do HD games, that's maybe why they choose to make a 2D game.

Anyway we shouldn't juge the co-developpement, only the gaames they made completely because we don't know what exactly they did or didn't. Skyward Sword for exemple was the work of EAD, so was Mario Kart 7.

Pavolink said:
MTZehvor said:
Pavolink said:
MTZehvor said:

Couple things.

Then keep moving the goal post: 1 game vs 1 game. DKCTF vs Xenoblade X. And here there's no excuse. Retro was capable of develop Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2 in a single gen, Metroid Prime 3, MP Trilogy and DKCR on the Wii. They can do a lot better than a simple 2D DK game.

Well, when the comparison is set up in such a way that you might as well be asking why Austria isn't as profitable as the United States, then yeah, the goalposts do have to be moved a bit.

Anyway, I really don't get why a 2D Donkey Kong game is considered so widely to be a failure. Certainly not a wildly ambitious project, but great games don't need to be consistently pushing the limits of the software. Nintendo wanted Retro to make another DK or Metroid game, and they decided they'd rather try and perfect DK than go back to Metroid. They've since been assigned to something for the NX, and chances are we'll hear about it either at this year's E3.

More than anything, though, the complaints leveled at Retro are that they haven't been as productive this generation as they have been in the past. And from that standpoint, let's look at productivity levels. Over the Gamecube's lifetime of 5 years, they developed 2 games (Prime and Echoes, with Prime receiving significant help from Nintendo). Over the Wii's lifetime of 6 years, they developed 2 games (Corruption and DKCR) and re-released MPT. Now, over the course of the Wii U's lifetime of only 3 years, they've ported DKCR to the 3DS and made Tropical Freeze. This is basically par for the course for Retro.