By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has Monolith surpassed Retro Studio as new Nintendo elite studio?

Wich one?

I prefer Monolith 232 52.02%

I prefer Retro Studio 214 47.98%

Total:446
xwolf7 said:
Pavolink said:
Yes this gen and by a long shoot. Xenoblade X is one of the must haves of the Wii U while Retro's game is a dissapointing unambitious project that looks like from a gen before compared to X. Right now people is more excited to know about the next Monolith project than Retro, as Monolith has proved that they can puso the hardware rather than playing safe.

Right now there's zero hype for Retro, unlike at the start of the gen.

Pavolink as always gets the point.......i like you!!

There is no contest giving the recent output from each studio, and certainly the games that Monolith Soft tend to make are always ambitious and trying to push the boundaries of what they can do with the hardware they are working on.

Imagine the game that Monolith can do with an NX around the same ballpark as a PS4...

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
AAA300 said:
MTZehvor said:

...I think something got missed along the way.

I was more referring to the way the story constantly tells you to hurry up, which serves as a constant encouragement to do the story missions. But the game blocks you from doing the story missions until you do one or two affinity missions and go around surveying a high enough percentage, creating what was for me a rather annoying gap inbetween narrative and mission design. On the one hand, (spoilers for Chapter 5 and beyond) humanity is going to die if I don't hurry up, so clearly I should be dedicating all my efforts to finding the lifehold. On the other hand, the mission design dicatates that (spoilers for a couple required affinity missions, the last of which is before chapter 11) I have time to help people find a present for their date and retrieve someone's cat, to name a few examples.

I don't mind playing through less serious missions, though I do think the ones requiring you to explore a certain percentage of the territory in order to proceed is rather arbitrary. What I find jarring is the disconnect between the story consistently telling you to hurry up, while the missions required to continue with the story communicate that you have a good bit of free time.

You don't get games do you? The point of doing those missions and setting those probes is to explore this massive world that they made! Plus with out those probes you can't mine or make money for those expensive skells. And as for the story of course there wanting you to hurry because there all going to die if you dont " that's the story"!!!!! But like any game you can take your time play it however you want to you can beat it in a day or a year from now. It's like worrying in Mario that your not beating the castles fast enough because the princess is already raped/killed by bowser. It's urgent and you need to save the princess fast but its not like you can't play that easy stage ten more times to get more lives. : )

...I more than "get" the game, and I'm all for encouraging people to explore the world. But like any game that tries to tell a semi-serious narrative, story should inform gameplay, not simply co-exist with, or in this case, contradict it. If just about anyone at this point got seriously invested in Mario stories, then yes, that would be a fair point. Call me naive, but I had gotten the sense that Xenoblade X wanted me to take its story just a little more seriously than the usual Mario affair.

Take Okami for instance; one of the PS2's biggest games. It encouraged exploration by all means, but when it was trying to create a sense of urgency, it did so by encouraging you to get there as quick as you possibly could and actually allowing you to do so. Could I, as the player, have simply stood there and done nothing for the next year? Or walked a mile in the opposite direction and gone fishing? Sure, I could have. The player can always make the story look silly if they want. But the game shouldn't prevent the player from trying to get invested in the story by setting up arbitrary roadblocks that completely contradict the main message of the narrative every mission. 

Lucas-Rio said:

Retro Studio earned worldwide recognition for their reboot of the Metroid serie on gamecube and then Wii. After that , they released the great DKCR on Wii, relaunching anoter old Nintendo serie.

On Wii U thought their output has decreased to only one game, a straight sequel to DKCR, a 2D platformers. One 2D platformer as the only game of a generation of console is rather weak. I have seen a lot of people praising DKTF and it's probably a great game seeing how good was DKCR. But I did not buy it, not feeling the need to play more 2D DK right after DKCR... I don't know if they have scaled down their staff...

Monolith on the other hand, after trying a new genre with Disaster on Wii, went back to what they know the best : RPG. Xenoblade was an amazing game, easily one of the best of the Wii, with great strory, great fight system,a nd a great world to explore.

I am now playing Xenoblade X and I am just amazed by the scope of this game, by all this beautiful and huge landscape. All the works put in there is astonishing really. It seems you could fit 5 DK games inside for all the work they did.

So here is my question, do you think now that Monolith is now the best Nintendo studio (not counting the internal teams like EAD) and has taken the spot of Retro Studio?

I don't know when you personally played DKCR, but the sequel didn't come out until more than 3 years after the original game. That's actually a considerable amount of time. They've also been quite busy this gen. After the 3DS launched, they assisted in the development of Mario Kart 7. They then assisted in the development of the 3DS port of DKCR Then there was Tropical Freeze. Then they started devlelpment on a new game in early 2014, a game that was announced for Wii U.

Like Retro, Monolith Soft also assists with development of Nintendo's in-house games. Given that The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword was their last 7th generation game, they co-developed Project X Zone, developed Xenoblade Chronicles X with assistance from the now-defunct Nintendo EAD Group 2, co-developed Project X Zone 2 and if Wikipedia is anything to go by (which it may or may not be), they're currently working for an untitled game for an unspecified platform with no immediate release date. Unless this is some Wii U or 3DS game that has been kept in the dark and will be announced this year, this game will likely launch on NX, making it their first 9th generation game.

I understand that Xenoblade Chronicles X is this epic RPG that we don't see very often on Wii U (or anywhere else for that matter) and everybody got excited for it, but I have to give Retro Studios the nod on this one. Monolith is more or less an RPG developer. Not everything they made is an RPG but still. Retro has proven that they can make master anything they touch and Retro seems to be more like Nintendo in the senese that they have more of a focus on gameplay and mastering game mechanics.

However, I think it is premature to pass judgement now. Retro Studios has had a Wii U game in development for a few years now and unitl we hear that neither company is no longer making or assisting with the development of anymore 3DS and Wii U games, I don't think we can judge yet.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

I would wait for Retro's next game to pass judgement. If it's another 2d game then it's pretty close between them and Monolith. But if Retro can return to making massive 3d games with their level of polish and supuralitive art design then I'd give Retro the edge.  The Donkey Kong games they've made are amazing but I would definetely dock them points if they literally are only capable of 2d games going forward.

Too early to say

Around the Network
MTZehvor said:
Dulfite said:

I'd say X pushed more hardware and had more consumer hype/awareness. The first one established a dedicated fanbase for the series and that helped spread a word of mouth campaign for the second one (on top of an actual marketing push by Nintendo for X, compared to the first).

Now, I'd say Xenoblade 3d probably pushed more N3ds than Xenoblade pushed Wiis, but I still think X probably had the biggest impact of the three. And now that I own X, I can honestly say it blows my mind how good this game is (I also own Xeno 3d and, though I find it very fun, it's not nearly the quality of X).

This is going a bit off topic, so hopefully people won't mind too much, but I'd be curious in asking and getting the opinion of someone who really likes X. One of my biggest problems with X thus far (and honestly what's really keeping me from enjoying it immensely) is the pacing of the game; how it routinely forces you to do side quests/place a bunch of data probes before it lets you accept story missions. I've found this particularly frustrating when combined with the fact that the game consistently reminds you in story missions after Chapter 5 that you've got a limited amount of time to find the Lifehold before humanity dies out. One particularly agregious example that comes to mind was before Chapter 11, where the game forces you to track down someone's cat before you can proceed to the next mission. It feels like an extreme clash of narrative and mission design; on one hand, the game is telling you to hurry things up, while simultaneously forcing you to take part in fetch quests and side quests before you can proceed. Is this annoying for you, and if so, how big of a problem is it?

I like to break clunks into parts, so I'll respond with numbers:

1) The side quests are what makes this game amazing. Don't get me wrong, I love the central story, but the character development with affinity missions is amazing and all the random little bounty/gather missions you can do while you do story or affinity missions adds extra perks to just randomly exploring. You should never feel like your going out of your way to do side quests. I love exploring to plant probes/do story and affinity missions and then just stumble upon the last gathering piece or stumble upon green iconed monsters I need to kill. It makes exploring fun.

2) That % from the lifehold goes down as you do missions, it's not like if you just stand around humanity is going to die. There should not be a rush or pressure feeling at all from this, I certainly don't feel pressure.

3) I don't find the side things annoying, as I said earlier. Side quests are what builds characters up in any story. LOST was filled, non stop, with side stories and people loved the show for it (including myself). Xenoblade isn't supposed to be like a Halo-level linear game. It's supposed to feel like an adventure where your discovering and exploring this world. And the game is filled with comic relief, which I found and find hillarious and charming.

I enjoy every moment I grind the level by beating up the monsters in Xeno X or do side quests

That's the first game I've felt that way for such a long time since FF VI & VIII

Sometime, I just forgot about the fact this game has a story mission =)

NNID : ShenlongDK
PSN : DarkLong213
Dulfite said:

2) That % from the lifehold goes down as you do missions, it's not like if you just stand around humanity is going to die. There should not be a rush or pressure feeling at all from this, I certainly don't feel pressure.

I don't want to drag an off topic conversation out too much longer, but the fact that you don't feel pressure is, to me, quite telling. The story is designed around the concept of pressure; consistently telling the player that they need to hurry or else humanity will die out. With a central narrative based around enforcing a sense of urgency, the gameplay should, ideally, set up in such a way to allow the player to play as if they are really in the story. While I wouldn't advocate an actual time limit (I'm more than aware of how the countdown works) that drops down like in Majora's Mask, I think the complete opposite end of the spectrum simply disconnects people from the main story.

To illustrate with an example, take something like the final bit of Skyward Sword, where Ghirahim has captured Zelda and is going to drain her soul (or whatever he does) to resurrect Demise. Now imagine that the game, instead of encouraging you to chase after him, forced you to go save someone's cat or paint someone's house. You'd probably reasonably assume, as the player, that Zelda couldn't be in that much trouble if you've got the time to go save cats or paint houses. It's the same sort of deal here. I'm all for games heavily based around exploration; some of my favorite games of all time, such as Super Metroid and Wind Waker, require a ton of exploration. Where the game starts to lose me is when a disconnect appears between narrative and gameplay. On one hand, the game implements a story that is based around creating a sense of urgency. On the other hand, the game implements mission design that requires a deep level of exploration. That disconnect is what I'm interested in knowing if you care about.

RolStoppable said:
MTZehvor said:

I don't want to drag an off topic conversation out too much longer, but the fact that you don't feel pressure is, to me, quite telling. The story is designed around the concept of pressure; consistently telling the player that they need to hurry or else humanity will die out. With a central narrative based around enforcing a sense of urgency, the gameplay should, ideally, set up in such a way to allow the player to play as if they are really in the story. While I wouldn't advocate an actual time limit (I'm more than aware of how the countdown works) that drops down like in Majora's Mask, I think the complete opposite end of the spectrum simply disconnects people from the main story.

To illustrate with an example, take something like the final bit of Skyward Sword, where Ghirahim has captured Zelda and is going to drain her soul (or whatever he does) to resurrect Demise. Now imagine that the game, instead of encouraging you to chase after him, forced you to go save someone's cat or paint someone's house. You'd probably reasonably assume, as the player, that Zelda couldn't be in that much trouble if you've got the time to go save cats or paint houses. It's the same sort of deal here. I'm all for games heavily based around exploration; some of my favorite games of all time, such as Super Metroid and Wind Waker, require a ton of exploration. Where the game starts to lose me is when a disconnect appears between narrative and gameplay. On one hand, the game implements a story that is based around creating a sense of urgency. On the other hand, the game implements mission design that requires a deep level of exploration. That disconnect is what I'm interested in knowing if you care about.

It's like XCX was the first time you've played a JRPG. There are countless games that have a narrative of urgency at one point or another, yet the player's progress gets interrupted by mandatory errands or he gets to do the dumbest sidequests at his leisure.

My take on that issue? Game logic cannot mimic proper logic at all times, otherwise it is detrimental to the experience. Another example of game logic would be enemies in Super Metroid: If you kill them, they drop missiles or power bombs. This doesn't make any sense if you give it the slightest bit of thought, but it works damn well as game logic. This example obviously applies to tons of other games as well.

Once you stop to think about game logic or don't question it, such things will stop to bother you when playing a game. I am so used to it that I don't care anymore when a narrative tries to create a sense of urgency; I don't feel it if there's no time limit displayed on screen, because in such a case I immediately know that there is no need for urgency. Or in other words, time limits create urgency, narratives do not.

I haven't played a ton of JRPGs, though admittedly most of my experience lies in the old Final Fantasy style turn based games. I don't recall anything like that in any of the ones I played, but I could be forgetting.

For the second point, I'd argue that what you're calling "game logic" is really two seperate category. There are the obvious leaps in logic the game makes in order to circumvent the laws of nature/physics. Super Metroid has enemies drop health pickups, Xenoblade X lets you walk straight through cars, Devil May Cry lets you juggle enemies in the air with bullets, etc. Generally speaking, I think everyone can accept those. What I find myself less willing to simply go with is leaps in logic to circumvent rational decision making, and this is in large part because characters are what we get ourselves invested into (ideally, anyway). In nearly all cases, a story needs to have relatable characters to engage its audience, and if its characters are off being complete idiots, then the entire story begins to fall apart (see Metroid: Other M for details). While I wouldn't advocate that all games attempt to remain true to the laws of nature as we know them, I would argue that all games should try to make their characters' decision making at least semi realistic at all times; at least, those that are interested in telling any sort of compelling narrative.

(Tl;dr: A game doesn't necessarily need realistic physics to have compelling gameplay, but it does need realistic characters to tell a believable story)

Finally, I've never really bought into the "once you get used to it" excuse, because that is legitimately an argument of nothing more than "once you see enough examples of failure, you lower your standards." And I'd rather not lower my standards. As someone who believes that video games can be an excellent medium for storytelling, I don't think we should simply all brush off a failing that could have easily been worked around as "meh, everyone else does it, whatever." 

MTZehvor said:
Dulfite said:

1) Zelda is intended to be a linear game. Yes, in recent ones, there have been side quests but they aren't really anything special or character developing like the affinity missions or quests you stumble upon in X.

2) I HATED Majoras mask time thing so much that I want nothing to do with any game even remotely like that. That was so stressful. I'm not saying it was a bad game or that people can't enjoy it, but it's not my type of game. My type of game is like X, where there is no stress. Yes, they occassionally make you think about the lifehold deadline (it isn't even that often), but afterwords they bring up random little things, implying that you as a gamer shouldn't be stressed playing this game. It is meant to be enjoyed.

3) Zelda, despite it's linear storyline and lack of major side quests that have nothing to do with that major storyline, does offer plenty of things to do, especially in recent games, that have nothing to do with the story; fishing, for example.