By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New NX details from Ubisoft dev; portable device will launch first (rumor)

Is it real?

Yes 84 27.18%

No 111 35.92%

John Cena in Smash is realer! 114 36.89%

Total:309
Gamemaster87 said:
asqarkabab said:
So its a hybrid console

It's not and the rumor said that. Just same OS, not the same games.

Thats bad why not the same games 

Remote play is great on vita from what i have heard

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

Around the Network
Gamemaster87 said:
DélioPT said:
Might as well say the name of the person...

No, i don't believe it.
There are more comments pointing to a home console than a handheld. Just wouldn't make sense the "somewhere in 2017" for the home console - the one that needs to be replaced the most.
Did i say that saying the studio name was a bit too much?

Why should the home console replaced first? Doesn't make sense to me. And everything points to 2016 release of the 3DS successor. And two new hardware devices in one year? Nah...

Because Wii U is in worse shape than 3DS, both in terms of sales and games.
If you look at sales numbers, Wii U is already too low and making it wait for Christmas 2017 would just be suicide; retailers would not keep the console in shelves if they knew that 2017 would be a bare year.

Remember early 2013 when some retailers started discounting Wii U and others even stoped selling it? And this was at the very beggining where the console could still fight back. Imagine now, where it would get no new releases - or anything significant.
3DS, at least, will get the best support from Nintendo, like it has been having; 3rd parties are still backing the 3DS aswell, even if only japanese developers.
Wii U has pratically nothing to hold on to for two years.

And like Hiku told you, GBA and GC came out in the same year. So, it could happen again.
Personally, i believe Nintendo will release both at the same time.

Just because 3DS has been on the market longer doesn't mean it needs to be replaced first.

A port of liberation eh? Christ I hope Nintendo's next portable is going to be more than just a Vita port machine...

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Jumpin said:

This sounds identical to recent baseless forum speculation, in addition, which means that someone just regurgitated that and this is not true information.

The one thing we can say is that there are multiple form factors, and anyone making up information can ground their "report" in that knowledge, and make up the rest.

The handheld/terminal thing first leaked 2 years ago. But this report is talking about account systems, this is not something a dev would have interest in; it is also a more simplistic report on what we already know is coming, a multi-device account system that includes mobile and PC.

in other words: the report is FAKE.

form factors? knowing nothing of the system, that's something nobody can say.

Although probably another fake, it's the first one with some logic behind it. Nintendo already said their next handheld and home console will have the same architeture. The most possible outcome is that the sucessors for Wii U and 3ds have around 30-40% of it's first party lineups as major exclusives, with the rest (major multiplayer titles, smaller 3d games, all 2d games) getting the smash for Wii U and 3ds treatment. The visual difference would be smaller due to the power gap shrinking and there should be cross buy and cross local/online multiplayer for shared titles. Same cross buy for virtual console titles.

Sharing the whole library is not only impossible but also a terrible business decision. That's because exclusives are what value a platform.

Around the Network
Thunderbird77 said:

Although probably another fake, it's the first one with some logic behind it. Nintendo already said their next handheld and home console will have the same architeture. The most possible outcome is that the sucessors for Wii U and 3ds have around 30-40% of it's first party lineups as major exclusives, with the rest (major multiplayer titles, smaller 3d games, all 2d games) getting the smash for Wii U and 3ds treatment. The visual difference would be smaller due to the power gap shrinking and there should be cross buy and cross local/online multiplayer for shared titles. Same cross buy for virtual console titles.

Sharing the whole library is not only impossible but also a terrible business decision. That's because exclusives are what value a platform.

You're thinking of it from a point of view of what platforms are now, the rumour itself is nothing new from what's been speculated before, Iwata indicated two years ago at a stock holders meeting that NX maybe a software platform that drives a family of devices much like a cross between IOS and Steam. This is further backed by the recent string of patents, the new accounts system and indicators from Nintendo themself, it would make perfect business sense as gaming would then adopt a new form in business approach.

Rather then get hardware sales it would be more geared to getting people to open an account on this platform and from then one the person is always a consumer regardless which device they have whether mobile, home console or portable.

This makes migration between devices easier for the consumer, I can see the portable and home console sharing the majority of first party games with each game scaling to the hardware (again something like this was indicated in a patent), sharing a library is also one of the few viable ways to reduce the droughts between the platforms especially if the are mutiple skus.

Nem said:
Gamemaster87 said:

Why should the home console replaced first? Doesn't make sense to me. And everything points to 2016 release of the 3DS successor. And two new hardware devices in one year? Nah...

I applaud you for beeing one of the few that still thinks, rather than just go with the flow. People in the internet already unilaterally decided that the NX is a new home console, more powerful than the PS4 and coming out in late 2016... with no evidence.

Yeah, its as unrealistic as it comes, but alas, they refuse to listen to reason.

• please don't impute everyone that come to a different conclusion than you that they haven't thought about it
  • "people in the internet" have NOT uniterally decided that... you and Gamemaster87 are the best counterevidence for that
  • your "reason" is only your opinion, it is no fact that the other opinion is "unrealistic as it comes"
Nem said:

There is a home console, but its not coming this year. The Wii U is only 3 years old. The 3DS is needing replacement before the Wii U. Besides the fact that Nintendo's president said that the NX is not the sucessor to the Wii and Wii U.

• ...and in November the Wii U is 4 years old. It's not unprecedented that a console or handheld gets a successor after 4 years (Xbox, Sega Saturn, GBA...), especially if the sales are worse than expected and you have to react fast, to stay relevant
  • Nintendo also said that the DS doesn't replace the GBA, they talked of a "third pillar"... but that was mostly PR talk and the GBA support died very fast; the same will happen to the Wii U the momen NX is launched

Conina said:
Nem said:
  • please don't impute everyone that come to a different conclusion than you that they haven't thought about it
  • "people in the internet" have NOT uniterally decided that... you and Gamemaster87 are the best counterevidence for that
  • your "reason" is only your opinion, it is no fact that the other opinion is "unrealistic as it comes"
Nem said:

There is a home console, but its not coming this year. The Wii U is only 3 years old. The 3DS is needing replacement before the Wii U. Besides the fact that Nintendo's president said that the NX is not the sucessor to the Wii and Wii U.

• ...and in November the Wii U is 4 years old. It's not unprecedented that a console or handheld gets a successor after 4 years (Xbox, Sega Saturn, GBA...), especially if the sales are worse than expected and you have to react fast, to stay relevant
  • Nintendo also said that the DS doesn't replace the GBA, they talked of a "third pillar"... but that was mostly PR talk and the GBA support died very fast; the same will happen to the Wii U the momen NX is launched

Dude, seriously... i think about things more than 99.9% of the human population. I have no doubt about that. I am also sure 99% of the people that post in the internet don't think about what they are saying and just go with the flow. If you want to pretend that isnt the case, go ahead. I am not saying you or anyone else are one. But i recognised that the other poster wasn't one and i showed my apreciating for the breath of fresh air.

My reason is not an opinion. My reason is fact. That fact is, no one knows what the NX is aside from those working on it at Nintendo. The general idea in the internet is that its a home console stronger than the PS4 that will come out later this year. This idea gained traction because its what several people wish for. In fact, there is no proof for this theory. It is no more likely than it beeing something completely different or a sucessor to the 3DS. There is zero reason to jump to that conclusion over others. Its very much like religion. People want something to be there so much they will inherently believe it without any proof.

And for the last point. Its a beautiful possibility. Doesnt make it more probably than others. Just cause it "can" doesnt mean it will.

But i would like to know how the supporters of the new home console coming out this year, can explain how Nintendo is going to get launch titles ready this year and have a flow of games for next year, not only for the new home console NX, but for the sucessor of the 3DS and the continued support of the Wii U that was promised. Where is Nintendo getting all these resources.

And lets look at the NX if its a new-generation system. How has Nintendo done with HD development on the Wii U? It resulted in multiple delays on lots of software. They can hardly get to grips with it but here we go, they will just jump on the next gen without having mastered the previous one and they will have new titles ready to come out this year and the next. This does not look likely at all to me. It seems very disconnected from reality. If you said 2017, i could see that. I do think they may be gearing up for that. But this year? I will be amazed if its the case.

I've followed Nintendo for 25 years, Wii U pretty much has all the obvious hallmarks of a machine they're not going to support (seriously) for much longer.

This is exactly what the GameCube was like late in its lifecycle.

4 years worth of support is nothing major anyway, GBA, XBox are examples of recent systems that were replaced after 4 years on market or less.

Darwinianevolution said:
Nogamez said:

Nintendo already got the flagship AC imo ( no pun intended) ACIV blackflag!

Jokes aside, if this is true, Ubisoft has no faith on the NX. They put AC3 and AC blackflag on the U, and for the NX just Liberation?

Then again, this sounds like a very fake leak, the only thing it's sounds legit its Ubi porting a Vita game to the NX. I suspect we'll see a lot of those in the future.

Are you surprised at ubisoft's commitment? I don't know if this is right or not, but after Ubisoft was burned by the wii u launch (they were about to give them 2 great launch exclusives!) it wouldnt surprise me that ubi just wants to test it out with a port and rayman