By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do people think that Nintendo could go or should go third-party?

KungKras said:
Armour1 said:
KungKras said:
Armour1 said:
zorg1000 said:

Ya, let's ignore the Nintendo device that has sold over 55 million.....

I never said they shouldnt give a new handheld a try.

But them being relevent in consoels is over, wiiu killed them there. 

I'm so glad Nintendo didn't take your advice in the gamecube years.

Yahh lets lay our hope in more fad driven sales, 1 out of 5 gens.  Awesome odds going into the nx.

I wonder what some of you prefer, ninty going bankrupt or going 3rd party.  

That "fad" made more money than PS1-2-3 combined.

And nintendo lost half of it already.  

Around the Network

I think it's probably seen as an easy way for Nintendo to make a ton of money, and it's likely true. I mean, I know I'd be more inclined to playing their IP if I could get it on PC/PS4...but my tastes are far, far wider now that I'm older, than when I was a kid (I don't care if you're an adult, who owns a Wii U, I'm talking about my tastes) and Nintendo simply doesn't cater to them all.

But, I'm indifferent, Nintendo's also shown they can hit it out of the park, they just need to tweak their hardware model, imo. Personally, I'd only really want Nintendo to go 3rd party/publisher, IF it was the difference between them continuing to make games, and not. Otherwise, I'm fine with them going it their own way, they stumble from time to time, but who doesn't?

One word: Haters.

revinit said:

Then why didn't Sony and MS abandon hardware and join Nintendo on Wii and DS?  Your logic dictates they should.

Because the Wii is a piece of junk. It is a gimmick that sold like hotcakes to casual gamers and non gamers. Real gamers bought PS3 and 360 and are still buying them today. Where's the Wii now? Name 1 good Wii game that wasn't made by Nintendo.

Muramasa the Demon Blade, Madworld, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Zack and Wiki, Red Steel 2, Boom Blox, No More Heroes (1 and 2), House of the Dead, The Conduit, Epic Mickey, Monster Hunter Tri, Sonic Colors, and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom are pretty darn good. Not to mention ports like Fatal Frame 2, Resident Evil 4, and Okami. Or the games that were developed outside of EAD and only published by Nintendo like Xenoblade Chronicles, Fatal Frame 4, and Sin and Punishment 2.

Armour1 said:
KungKras said:

That "fad" made more money than PS1-2-3 combined.

Lost how? maybe on the WiiU to begin with and theyve invested money in other things such as the new building at there HQ's, and still got loads of money!

Around the Network
pokoko said:
I'm not saying I want Nintendo to go third party but I will never understand the mindset of, "it didn't work for SEGA so it cannot work for Nintendo." There is really no reason to assume that consistency would fall off a cliff at Nintendo the way it did at SEGA.

Now, in order to really analyze this, we'd have to list the positives and negatives of both positions. That's a daunting task, to be honest. Most people, when they discuss the possibility of Nintendo going third-party, they simply decide based on what THEY want and rationalize the logistics to support that. That's useless.

I think they'd be successful as a third party developer but I'm not quite sure that the increase in available user base would make up for the loss of a consistent revenue stream. Becoming software dependent would mean fluctuating revenue, which can be difficult without the evergreen franchises of the sort EA and Activision have. More pressure to have a consistent release schedule might result in even more series fatigue for some of their biggest IP.

It's a complex situation that would need an in depth study to document all the advantages and disadvantages.

Its not just Sega (jointventure with Sammy) look also at SNK (bought by chinese), Atari (bought by french), NEC/Hudson (bought by Konami).

Everyone who gave up hardware will fall lower and lower history has proven. Do you think Sony and MS would keep making and publishing games if they would stop making hardware? They would sell off their studios and completley leave gaming the way NEC did.

Ounce Nintendo would go third party you wouldnt see franchises and games being published and funded by them like Bayonetta, Fire Emblem or Xenoblade. They would be pretty worse than they are now with new IPs. More Amiibos, Remasters etc.

Doesn't matter since it's never going to happen.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Their games are awesome but their consoles (hardware & software platform) are not.

I don't think Nintendo should go third party, but I would like to see them be more competitive in the creation of their platforms and to be more aggressive in marketing them. It's frustrating to see them curled up in a little ball while they get ignored by the gaming public.

MegaDrive08 said:
Armour1 said:

Lost how? maybe on the WiiU to begin with and theyve invested money in other things such as the new building at there HQ's, and still got loads of money!

Exactly they still got money, they be going into 3rd party in strength.  Unlike what broke ass sega did.

Ninty has enough money to fund game development for a decade.  There is no way in hell them going 3rd party would fail, they got money they got quality software they got popular franchises.  The weakeast dominator in the ninty formula is their hardware.  

Probably because they want to play Nintendo games, but refuses to buy their platforms.