By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do people think that Nintendo could go or should go third-party?

zorg1000 said:
Aeolus451 said:

In regards to wii, it's the only nintendo home to sell 100 mil when the rest of nintendo consoles can't even sell past 80 mil. Those closest one was the NES. The gamecube honestly sold like dirt. My point is that nintendo sucks at making home consoles and should stop making 'em but instead focus on just making games for all gaming devices. Why? Because not many gamers want to buy a nintendo console and nintendo can't figure out why. Eventually, they will be forced to go third party one way or another. 

Out of dozens upon dozens of home consoles to release over the years, only 3 home consoles have sold over 100 million, of which 2 barely managed to pass that, and only 5 have sold over 80 million. Those are insanely high numbers to use as ur threshold for good/bad sales. This isn't even taking into account marketshare, NES only sold about 60 million which by ur standards is bad but it had something like 80% marketshare, SNES only did about 50 million yet it was the market leader. Half of Nintendo home consoles have won their generation.

That's falls right into my point. It was mainly kids (me being one of them) that wanted a nintendo console and some of the others then. Everyone then considered gaming a kid's hobby. The market was the size it was because video game companies weren't going after a wider demographic yet. It was just kids. It could of been much bigger. Nintendo consoles have never been draw in many adults which is the vast majority of gamers (has been for many years). Yes, 80 mil is high but if sony or ms can do it when they're off their game or still learning, nintendo can too. I'm not gonna give 'em a pass. The wii sold what it did because it appealed to consumers. So I know nintendo can sell as well as a playstation console when it catches the eye of consumers, so what do nintendo consoles sell like when the don't?  

Both the xbox 360 and PS3 sold 80 mil each while the wii sold 100 mil.  The market is there for big numbers. I bet the PS4 will sell over 100 mil and the xbox one over 80 mil. Will the wii u even be able to reach 40 mil or what about 20 mil? Nintendo consoles often sell way less than they should be and that's why they need to switch to third party.

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:

In short, nintendo is not that good at making home consoles and the handheld market is skrinking. What's keeping people from playing (and buying) nintendo's games is that people have to buy it's home console which they often don't. If nintendo makes their games available to consoles, pc and mobile, their would sell very well and it's brand would expand without them having to invest in hardware for the games.

Why - with the exception of mainstream titles like Mario Kart Wii and 2D Platformers - did these games get boosts on the Wii? Practically every family in the U.S and Japan had one, so it would make sense that there wasn't a userbase issue. Why did Metroid Prime 3 sell less than Prime 1 and Prime 2 on GameCube? Why did Zelda Twilight Princess, a high selling Zelda title, sell less than Ocarina of Time? The reason most people don't buy Nintendo games isn't because they can't. It is because they don't appeal to them. That is why they don't buy a Wii U despite it having a decent library of Nintendo games at this point that can sate most fans of theirs. 

For example, do you think people on IOS and Android are going to spend $40 on a Pokemon game when they can play Red/Blue for free with an emulator? If they don't alraedy buy 3DS's for Pokemon why would they spend $40 on a Pokemon game versus <$10 for practically every other mobile game? How successful has Final Fantasy been on mobile platforms with the $20 price-point of their ports, for example? Sure sales might be up if they lowered the price to $20, but the quality of the game will be worst and the 50% less revenue per copy (even less with licensing fees) would require double the sales. Nintendo could sell only 30 million handhelds, and still be guaranteed that 10-20 million people will buy their Pokemon games, because the demographics align so well.  They aren't guaranteed 20-40 million on mobile, however. 

For these reasons, the userbase claim is overstated. 

KungKras said:
Aeolus451 said:

Do I really have to spell it out? They suck at making consoles because their consoles don't sell well. They don't sell well because the consoles often don't appeal to that many consumers.  It's true that a console is for playing video games but it's a product that is designed to sell to consumers. It's not free to play. Nintendo needs their products to sell.

I can understand that to you ,the GC is the best designed hardware of any gen but to the vast majority of gamers, it's definitely not. The GC as a product failed to appeal to consumers and sell even decently.

If you still don't get what I mean after this post then oh well. I don't have any more patience to keep going in circles.

But you're wrong. Their consoles do sell well. 50% of all their consoles disprove you. The median lifetime sales for consoles is about 30 mil, only two of their consoles doesn't pass that. See, I can make arbitrary standards for what it means to "sell well" just like you.

All I did was to tell you that the Gamecube was fantastically engineered. It was, you can't dispute that because there are real world factors that disprove you. Just like the Commodore Amiga and the Apple 2 line that was ditched in favout of the macintosh. Great engineering can underperform in the market.

And using market performance to try and disprove that point is just sad. You just don't get what I was saying. I bet you were one of the people yelling "SALES DON'T MEAN QUALITY!!!!!!" last gen.

We can agree to disagree on that shit. I'm too tired for any more of it. 

My overall reaction about last gen is how I am about obama being elected twice. "People like what they want to. Oh well." Honestly, i was just playing games last gen and dealing with life.  I wasn't on any sort of gaming related forum debating this sort of stuff til I saw this site referenced in a article a little while ago. So I never talked about gaming sales til here.

kristianity77 said:

Personally, I just think the console scene has matured so much in the last half a decade or so to become much more than something to play games on. Yes, primarily that is still their main function, but these days most people want so much more from their consoles. Netflix, Spotify, Sky Go, TV on demand, Youtube, Internet, Media Player, etc.  

The Wii U supports most of this. The internet browser and youtube are a delight with the gamepad. Much better than any other console I've experienced. I haven't tried Netflix, but it is there. 

PS4 is on its way to play nintendo games albeit hacked so they could probably perhaps be better off being paid than being pirated. I think.

Around the Network
kurasakiichimaru said:
PS4 is on its way to play nintendo games albeit hacked so they could probably perhaps be better off being paid than being pirated. I think.

The PS4 won't be able to emulate anything more recent than the N64 (which one can already do on PSP.) Its CPU is way too weak. It takes a 3.5 GHZ + Haswell to flawlessly run GC/Wii games, and the Wii U emulator will have even steeper requirements when it is finished. The PS4 has AMD's low-end architecture (Jaguar) in it. 

kristianity77 said:

The other sad point is, is that iconic characters like Zelda, Mario etc are beginning to lose their shine to a small degree because the people who grew up on Nintendo are now older and in more cases than not have left Nintendo behind and the majority of kids today won't see past Xbox and PS4. 

This is also an incorrect assessment in my opinion. The success of the 3DS, Splatoon, and amiibos is testament to Nintendo's power in the kids market. Sure, they aren't the only player anymore, but they still have a lot of sales from the 6-14 yo demographic. I would find it hard to believe that the people buying Pokemon games today are the competitive scene, for example. There are not 15 million of them. The same applies to games like 2D Mario and Mario Kart. 

KungKras said:
Aeolus451 said:
KungKras said:
Aeolus451 said:
KungKras said:

Nintendo is great at making consoles. Their hardware is usually very well engineered.

Most of nintendo's home consoles are not well designed because the very consumers it was designed for don't want it. It doesn't accomplish what it was designed for.

Maybe nintendo is great at making handhelds but certainly not home consoles. They typically miss the mark on what gamers want in a console to play games with hence why nintendo consoles don't sell well. It's why I believe nintendo would be better off just making games to sell on other video game platforms. They still make plenty of money while keeping their fans happy but be able to reach as many people as possible with their games. Their home consoles is what holding back the nintendo brand. They just don't sell well enough for nintendo to keep dicking around with in my opinion.

Wii sure accomplished what it was designed for. Gamecube was probably the most well-designed console of all time in terms of hardware, it was X-box level powerful for a sliver of the manufacturing costs and the most dev-friendly platform of the gen, with a solid controller. Nintendo engineers know their shit.

I don't get what you're trying to say. Are we talking hardware or are you trying to blame Nintendo for third parties ignoring their platforms?

In regards to wii, it's the only nintendo home to sell 100 mil when the rest of nintendo consoles can't even sell past 80 mil. Those closest one was the NES. The gamecube honestly sold like dirt. My point is that nintendo sucks at making home consoles and should stop making 'em but instead focus on just making games for all gaming devices. Why? Because not many gamers want to buy a nintendo console and nintendo can't figure out why. Eventually, they will be forced to go third party one way or another. 

The problem is that every statment you make has counterexamples. They suck at making consoles because? The hardware? GC is the best designed hardware of any gen. Not many gamers want to buy their systems? Wii sold like hotcakes. NES sold about PS1 levels in the gaming markets that were developed at the time (IE not europe and developing economies), SNES did really well.

All you have left is "They suck because I think they suck".

The Gamecube looked like a five year old's lunchbox. 

Want a nice looking console? Probably the PS4. Xbone looks nice as well, but it's huge.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

hershel_layton said:
KungKras said:
Aeolus451 said:
KungKras said:
Aeolus451 said:
KungKras said:

Nintendo is great at making consoles. Their hardware is usually very well engineered.

Most of nintendo's home consoles are not well designed because the very consumers it was designed for don't want it. It doesn't accomplish what it was designed for.

Maybe nintendo is great at making handhelds but certainly not home consoles. They typically miss the mark on what gamers want in a console to play games with hence why nintendo consoles don't sell well. It's why I believe nintendo would be better off just making games to sell on other video game platforms. They still make plenty of money while keeping their fans happy but be able to reach as many people as possible with their games. Their home consoles is what holding back the nintendo brand. They just don't sell well enough for nintendo to keep dicking around with in my opinion.

Wii sure accomplished what it was designed for. Gamecube was probably the most well-designed console of all time in terms of hardware, it was X-box level powerful for a sliver of the manufacturing costs and the most dev-friendly platform of the gen, with a solid controller. Nintendo engineers know their shit.

I don't get what you're trying to say. Are we talking hardware or are you trying to blame Nintendo for third parties ignoring their platforms?

The problem is that every statment you make has counterexamples. They suck at making consoles because? The hardware? GC is the best designed hardware of any gen. Not many gamers want to buy their systems? Wii sold like hotcakes. NES sold about PS1 levels in the gaming markets that were developed at the time (IE not europe and developing economies), SNES did really well.

All you have left is "They suck because I think they suck".

The Gamecube looked like a five year old's lunchbox. 

Want a nice looking console? Probably the PS4. Xbone looks nice as well, but it's huge.

That has nothing to do with its cirquitry.

I LOVE ICELAND!

It can't get worse than the Nintendo Wii U for Nintendo. They did about everything wrong with it. Don't you think they have learnt just a little bit from their mistakes? The NX will do fine because there's definitely a market for 3 home consoles.