By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is FF8 worth playing?

My favourite game of all time.

Lucrative art style, strange but coherent story, goofy but oddly fitting characters, and arguably a masterpiece of animation and cinematography comparable to the greatest feats in movies. The queer music is synonymous with the mystifying art-style. A criminally underrated and sadly over-hated game.

Don't expect a game is the same vein as FFVII, though. Pretty much everything is not nearly as grounded and as in tone as VII was - and VII wasn't that grounded.

Around the Network

I've started it several times, played for several hours many times, and it is very well done from what I've played. But I have never understood the "draw card" system which looks to be an important aspect of the game, and I can't find any tutorials of it in game, which is sad considering it looks like a well crafted mechanic. FF7 I didn't have any problems with in regards to mechanics.

Tl:dr, Haven't gotten far in it, like it but don't really understand it

Yep.

Wright said:
Player2 said:

Please, don't do it. Life is wonderful, you know.

Life doesn't hold a candle to Triple Triad.

Best FF mini-game ever.

ReimTime said:
You asked people's opinions on a comparison of Final Fantasy games!
HE UNLEASHED THE KRAKEN
Bruh you gonna get polar responses. The Vivsters will say it's better and the Wizz's will say it isn't even close.
Rule #1: NEVER ask for a comparison between FF games if you want to know what one is like haha.

This pretty much. Never ask for a FF comparison, the games are [for the most part] very different from each other. 

If you liked VII's combat this battle system isn't too much different. I kinda liked 8 but hated how enemies level up with you... also I'm completely lost in the game right now since there's no way to check back and find your objective after characters have said stuff Compared to the other 2 PS1 FF games, it's probably the weakest one 

It's a great game, worthy of purchase and putting time into.

Around the Network
ReimTime said:
You asked people's opinions on a comparison of Final Fantasy games!
HE UNLEASHED THE KRAKEN
Bruh you gonna get polar responses. The Vivsters will say it's better and the Wizz's will say it isn't even close.
Rule #1: NEVER ask for a comparison between FF games if you want to know what one is like haha.

I may or may not have done it on purpose... I want bloodbath.

The 8th game is alot differnt than the others in the series.
Its worth a playthrough though. I personally enjoy 7,9,10, ect more.

But it just seems so differnt from the others, playing it for that reason alone makes it a must.

CocaineCowboy77 said:
My favourite game of all time.

Lucrative art style, strange but coherent story, goofy but oddly fitting characters, and arguably a masterpiece of animation and cinematography comparable to the greatest feats in movies. The queer music is synonymous with the mystifying art-style. A criminally underrated and sadly over-hated game.

Don't expect a game is the same vein as FFVII, though. Pretty much everything is not nearly as grounded and as in tone as VII was - and VII wasn't that grounded.

thank you!

Not my favorite Final Fantasy still worth playing and you can pretty much run through the game since leveling doesnt matter enemys are always scaled to your level if I remember right

Wright said:
Player2 said:

Please, don't do it. Life is wonderful, you know.

Life doesn't hold a candle to Triple Triad.

Yes, because spending several hours turning off and on the console trying to get rid of (or avoiding from spreading) crappy rules like random hand is so fun and awesome.