By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Should Make Splatoon 2 A NX Launch Title

Soundwave said:
Miyamotoo said:
Releasing Splatoon 2 only year and half after first game!? No, definitely too early, also I dont think they can complete new game is such short time if we know they worked on post launch content. Worst case would be to rush second game after great reception of first game.
Holiday 2017. would be great if they can finish till then.

Would be 1 1/2 years after the first game, and they would still have another 6-12 months to continue to release additional content, so basically the game would be finished 2 years+ after the first one. 

To me that would work and would ensure a strong launch in the Japanese market. Keep in mind too I think this is a bit of a special case in that a lot of people will not have gotten a chance to play the game because the Wii U has such a small userbase. 

In the same way I think Mario Maker should be very early in the NX life cycle too. 

Mario Kart 9 can be fall 2017. 

Yes, year and half like I wrote, definitely too early for sequel. And they have great and huge new IP, they really need take it with care and make really good sequel, not rush it.

If they really want to use Splatoon popularity for NX launch, they could maybe port Splatoon to NX handheld and home console, it would be huge launch title (espacily in Japan because handheld) even its port of year and half old game, and then just released Splatoon 2 in holiday of 2018. But I think they will not ported and just make sequels for 2017. holiday season, even without Splatoon port with new 3D Mario, Zelda U port, probably Diddy Kong Racing 2 and maybe Pikmin 4, NX would have very strong launch line up.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Soundwave said:
Miyamotoo said:
Releasing Splatoon 2 only year and half after first game!? No, definitely too early, also I dont think they can complete new game is such short time if we know they worked on post launch content. Worst case would be to rush second game after great reception of first game.

Would be 1 1/2 years after the first game, and they would still have another 6-12 months to continue to release additional content, so basically the game would be finished 2 years+ after the first one. 

To me that would work and would ensure a strong launch in the Japanese market. Keep in mind too I think this is a bit of a special case in that a lot of people will not have gotten a chance to play the game because the Wii U has such a small userbase. 

In the same way I think Mario Maker should be very early in the NX life cycle too. 

Yes, year and half like I wrote, definitely too early for sequel. And they have great and huge new IP, they really need take it with care and make really good sequel, not rush it.

If they really want to use Splatoon popularity for NX launch, they could maybe port Splatoon to NX handheld and home console, it would be huge launch title (espacily in Japan because handheld) even its port of year and half old game, and then just released Splatoon 2 in holiday of 2018. But I think they will not ported and just make sequels for 2017. holiday season, even without Splatoon port with new 3D Mario, Zelda U port, probably Diddy Kong Racing 2 and maybe Pikmin 4, NX would have very strong launch line up.

I think you kinda want Splatoon earlier in the product cycle than 2018. That's part of Nintendo's problem is a lot of their IP are coming too late, especially in their business model where they rely on their big IP to sell their hardware, you need to start getting these bigger guns out earlier I think. 

Splatoon 1.5 or Splatoon Remix could also work I guess, but the other thing is I don't think Splatoon really is like other Nintendo IP where it requires like 3+ years of development. It's an arena battle shooter, not a single player adventure/quest game or a fighting game with 40+ characters. 

The first Splatoon game was made in basically 2 years with a small team, and that's with the overhead extra time required to create the concept and spending a lot of time not knowing what the concept would and what not which won't be needed next time out since all that is now fairly well established. 

According to the Iwata Asks the first prototype was made in mid-2013 for Splatoon and that was just black and white "tofu" shooting at each other, even by November 2013 the game was just basically starting development. So Splatoon was essentially brought to market in about 16-18 months of development. 

Possible Nintendo  NX Launch Titles  Q4 2016 ( My Opinion ):

New Mario 3d or 2d ( i prefer 3d ) - Launch Day

New Mii Game for Bundle ( Like a Nintendo Land or Wii Sports ) - Launch Day

New Metroid Game - Launch Day or Q1/Q2 2017

Pikmin 4 ( Maybe Cross Platform Gaming ) Launch Day or Q1/Q2 2017

The Legend of Zelda Wii U Port - Launch Day

Pokken Tournament Port - Launch day or a Ultimate Version with DLc's in 2017

Mario and Sonic  at the Olympic Rio Games 2016 Port - Launch Day

Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem Port - 2017

StarFox Zero Port - 2017

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)
Soundwave said:
Miyamotoo said:
Soundwave said:
Miyamotoo said:

I think you kinda want Splatoon earlier in the product cycle than 2018. That's part of Nintendo's problem is a lot of their IP are coming too late, especially in their business model where they rely on their big IP to sell their hardware, you need to start getting these bigger guns out earlier I think. 

Splatoon 1.5 or Splatoon Remix could also work I guess, but the other thing is I don't think Splatoon really is like other Nintendo IP where it requires like 3+ years of development. It's an arena battle shooter, not a single player adventure/quest game or a fighting game with 40+ characters. 

The first Splatoon game was made in basically 2 years with a small team, and that's with the overhead extra time required to create the concept and spending a lot of time not knowing what the concept would and what not which won't be needed next time out since all that is now fairly well established. 

I think Nintendo can complete Splatoon 2 for 2017. launch, but 2016. would be defnatly too early in any case.

Like I wrote, if they port Splatoon to NX, than they cant release Splatoon 2 just one year after because its same online multiplayer shooter, they will need to wait for 2018. launch.

Shikamo said:

StarFox Zero Port - 2017

I am pretty sure we will not have 2D Mario for launch and that 3D Mario is almost certain.

Talking about what else Wii U games could be great ports for NX, ZeldaU is almost certain, Xenoblade X could be also good choice for NX, same like Smash Bros and Pokken Tournament. I think there is no need for ports of other Wii U games.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Soundwave said:
Miyamotoo said:
Soundwave said:
Miyamotoo said:

I think Nintendo can complete Splatoon 2 for 2017. launch, but 2016. would be defnatly too early in any case.

Like I wrote, if they port Splatoon to NX, than they cant release Splatoon 2 just one year after because its same online multiplayer shooter, they will need to wait for 2018. launch.

The first Splatoon was made in under 2 years. The first concept was mid-2013, but it wasn't until 2014 where they even had decided on the squid/human/swimming through ink concept. 

Fun fact: When it was unveiled at E3 2014, the game was only 10% complete (!). That means they made 90% of the game in like 10-11 months. 

Most of the development was just the initial planning about what the game would be and what the characters would be like. Now that they don't have to waste 6-10 months on that and can just build battle arenas, new characters in the same mold, new weapons, new game modes ... I think they could easily finish a Splatoon 2 for December 2016, and then just add more content to it over the next 12 months as need be. 

Splatoon is not like Zelda where it requires 3-4 years in between each installment. 

Soundwave said:
Miyamotoo said:

The first Splatoon was made in under 2 years. The first concept was mid-2013, but it wasn't until 2014 where they even had decided on the squid/human/swimming through ink concept. 

Fun fact: When it was unveiled at E3 2014, the game was only 10% complete (!). That means they made 90% of the game in like 10-11 months. 

Most of the development was just the initial planning about what the game would be and what the characters would be like. Now that they don't have to waste 6-10 months on that and can just build battle arenas, new characters in the same mold, new weapons, new game modes ... I think they could easily finish a Splatoon 2 for December 2016, and then just add more content to it over the next 12 months as need be. 

Splatoon is not like Zelda where it requires 3-4 years in between each installment. 

You dont get it, it not only about development time (but definitely more development time means better game with more content and new mechanics), it's too early. Splatoon will IP same like Mario Kart and Smash Bros, one game per generation, they can't release new game just one year later, its too soon, I dont want new Splatoon game just year and half after this one.

Miyamotoo said:

You dont get it, it not only about development time (but definitely more development time means better game with more content and new mechanics), it's too early. Splatoon will IP same like Mario Kart and Smash Bros, one game per generation, they can't release new game just one year later, its too soon, I dont want new Splatoon game just year and half after this one.

Agreed it's well too soon, they should go for a triple attack in 2019 with Smash and MK, the latter two games have been released in the same year for both Wii and Wii U, with NX the same is likely to happen and they should have Splatoon out that same year.

Wyrdness said:
Miyamotoo said:

Agreed it's well too soon, they should go for a triple attack in 2019 with Smash and MK, the latter two games have been released in the same year for both Wii and Wii U, with NX the same is likely to happen and they should have Splatoon out that same year.

IMO 2019 is definitely too late, they need some those games earlier, they need (and they achieve that) Splatoon and MK in 2017/2018.

Miyamotoo said:
Shikamo said:

StarFox Zero Port - 2017

I am pretty sure we will not have 2D Mario for launch and that 3D Mario is almost certain.

Talking about what else Wii U games could be great ports for NX, ZeldaU is almost certain, Xenoblade X could be also good choice for NX, same like Smash Bros and Pokken Tournament. I think there is no need for ports of other Wii U games.

yeah i'm with you, i pray every day for a mario galaxy 3 haha

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)