By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo - Adult Software Leader

Legend11 said:

If it makes you feel better to believe Nintendo is the leader in adult games then feel free to believe what you want.  I'll be too busy playing Grand Theft Auto 4, Resident Evil 5, and dozens of adult games on the 360 to really worry about it myself.  You can feel free to play Brain Age and some puzzle games and believe it as well.

The only ones that will suffer are the kids that won't be allowed to play Grand Theft Auto 4, Resident Evil 5, Brain Age, and those puzzle games because their parents don't feel they're old enough yet to play adult games.

How are any of those games "adult"? Neither game features anything even verging on a "complex" storyline, nor do they deal with themes which are too much for most kids to handle. Blood, violence and gore are nothing new to many, many kids.

MGS4 is going to be heavily laden with stories of war and strife, the kinds of things which would go over kids' heads. THAT is an adult game (which will probably go to the 360 as well).

However, on the same subject, don't hold your breath for RE5. It's been 1 year and 8 months since we saw the prerender trailer two E3s ago and Capcom's recent game day had NOTHING on RE5, not even a single new screenshot.

Capcom is playing the waiting game to see who the next console war winner will be and I frankly don't blame them.

But on the subject, it's foolish to care whether or not Nintendo has the adult market. Markets aren't divided when it comes to pure console sales. The most wins, period.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Around the Network
KruzeS said:
JSF said:
Just because something is kid-friendly, it doesn't mean adults can't enjoy it too. Look at Disney cartoons like Aladdin or Pocahontas.

No. Just because something is kid-friendly doesn't mean it isn't targeted at adults to begin with. When will you people learn? The good example is romantic comedies, not Disney cartoons.

Most real adults feel no need to do things they wouldn't let their own kids do to feel like adults - they already are adults! It's teens that have this constant obsession with doing adult-only stuff to prove they're very mature - not adults.

Totally agree. Once they turn 13, they feel like they need to prove themselves. Drawing the kiddy/mature line. Ridiculous. 

mrstickball said:
What I meant was: Although you say that Mario, Zelda, ect are really adult games, not kids games but the movies track to child age groups primarily through whatever art direction. IE, your view of Pans Labrynth vs. 300. Despite your saying that one movie might feature more complex-oriented themes, its meant for adults. Why? The movie was marketed to, and it's primary audience, were children. Games of all formats are like that. Nintendo still gets most of it's sales from the younger generation, or older-gen throwback's that swear by Nintendo (atleast for their primary franchises). I think the distinction we need to make is "adult video games" and "adult software" as stated in the title. Is Brain age a true video game? Not really, despite it's platform. psudeo adult games would primarily be any game that's software and doesn't deal in adult themes to the least bit like Brain Training, Soduku puzzles, or various software of the type - typical software that most adults would buy, not children.

I absolutely agree that Zelda isn't a game for Adults, by the way. I specifically said it wasn't. 

Pan's Labrynth was seen primarily by adults, I'm quite sure.  First, it's rated R. Second, I went to see the movie twice, and there wasn't a single kid in the audience at EITHER showing.  Do you really believe that Pan's Labrynth was a kids movie? Do you have any evidence to support that claim? O_o

Brain Age is a true video game. There are two hurdles it must cross to meet this definition: 1) is it a game? 2) Is it displayed on a video screen? I assume we can agree that the answer is "yes" to both questions. If so, then yes, it's a video game. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

As a general rule: "Kid Friendly" just means it doesn't have sex, violence, or drug use. A movie could be profoundly complex, beyond the comprehension of 99.9 percent of all children 13 and below, but it would get a G rating if it had none of the profane stuff. Conversely, a movie could be stupifyingly simple but include violence and/or sex and/or drug use, and still get a rated R rating.

A simple example of the former phenomenon: go see "Straight Story" by David Lynch. It's a rated G Disney movie. It got incredible reviews from critics ("universal acclaim" on Metacritic) and was a G rated venture,. The primary themes of this wonderful film are aging and loss of family. The first review of it on metacritic cites its "emotional complexity that will linger in your mind like a gentle dream." (Austin Chronicle)

Show me one kid that wants to see this movie, and I will show you 100 more that would rather see "The Terminator" or "300."

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

mrstickball said:
What I meant was: Although you say that Mario, Zelda, ect are really adult games, not kids games but the movies track to child age groups primarily through whatever art direction. 

But I don't think anyone said that.  I said Zelda, Mario etc. would probably appeal to a wider age group, not that they were targeted at adults.  It's games like Brain Training that specifically target adults as you said, and I agree with that.

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:

Show me one kid that wants to see this movie, and I will show you 100 more that would rather see "The Terminator" or "300."

Well said.

I loved Eternal Darkness because a lot of it was so story driven and would have been over the heads of most kids.

We need more games which do that.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

everybody adult gamer knows that the "mature" games are played by the mass kids and teens, and while they play halo, metal gear,gta,etc, the adult gamers play any game with good gameplay includes mario and sonic games, and the mass adult gamers play brain age and sudoku games, this said that nintendo have the all ages market, includes 18-25 market, i have 21 and enjoy nintendo games, that the same i enjoy play station games, dont forget that the 18-25 market enjoy nintendo and sega games, i think the real target of the "mature" games are 8-18, the real adults (atari,nes,snes,sega era) enjoy the gameplay, and the teens and adults final fantasy fans enjoy and are obsess about the graphics.

dont need blood or gore to be a real adult game, and the most important (and the teens and kids have to understand) the good graphics dont make a good games, the gameplay make a good games, this are ¡¡¡¡games!!!! not movies :), is really funny when the people said that one game to be a great game only seeing the graphics and without see the gameplay or play the game.

Legend11 said:

Well it's good that you don't think they're adult games, unfortunately society does consider them adult games.  Otherwise they wouldn't be getting mature ratings or be banned in certain countries.

I also don't get what you mean about RE5?  Capcom did announce it for the 360 and PS3 and it's in development so what's the problem?  If you have anything at all to add (if you work for Capcom for example) then please feel free to correct me on why I shouldn't be waiting for the game.  If you think because they haven't released any info that the game isn't coming then here's a shocker...  The same thing happened with RE4...  Wow...  And yet RE4 still came out.

As for your last paragraph well this thread is about adult software so that's what the discussion is about, if you don't care then simply don't post in this thread.

First of all, I'm not arguing what rating these games receive. I'm arguing that they won't actually be played by adults and will primarly have a userbase of people under 18, but that's semantics and it's pointless to argue.

Second, have you looked at the list of games from Capcom's recent Gameday?

Look the list over: there wasn't a SINGLE retail title shown for the PS360. There were downloadable games for XBLA and PSN and there was a port of Lost Planet to the PC, but seriously, the ONLY console which Capcom demoed retail games for was the Wii, those being RE4, RE:UC and Treasure Island Z.

I have a theory that Capcom is playing "wait and see" when it comes to the current console wars. The remainder of 2007 is very likely going to determine the winner of this war.

They're releasing plenty of downloadable rehashes so as to minimize dev costs so they don't have to make a decision while still maintaining a profit, but they're also working on Wii titles which cost a great deal less to develop.

I could be wrong, sure, but if I were a 3rd party developer, I'd want to see who comes out on top before comitting my AAA titles to any platform(s).