By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will PS4 be the first evolving console?

There are many things that point to the PS4 being the first console to go from static platform, to an evolving platform. Sony's switch to the x86 architcture has brought them in line with the Apple and Windows computers of the world. According to Sony Computer Entertainmet Senior Vice President Masayasu Ito "because the PS4 uses X86 achitecture, improvments to performance can be made over time". This was mentioned in October, with the disclaimer that Sony had no immediate plans for such a devices.

However, fast forward to earlier this month, and Sony Computer Entertainment President Andrew House said he was hesitent to say PS4 would outpace PS2 due to the cadence at which consumer expect innovation. This once agian points towards something going on within Sony which an improved PS4 or PS4 successor may not be far down the road.

Then today, we have the leak /  reveal of the PlayStation VR External Processing Box. The box is an addition to the PS4 that handles addition processing essential to VR, and also expand the systems ports to allow the connection of the VR headset. This may not seem big at the moment, but it is an obvious bandaid to the current PS4 model, to bring VR to the forefront. Should PS VR take off, the likelihood of a future PS4 with this hardware and addition ports built in is a very high probability. 

Another peice of the puzzle comes from a slip up earlier in the year from Netflix, in which Cheif Product Officer Neil Hunt, suggested a 4K capable PS4 was on the way. This has obviously not happened yet, but there has to be some mumblings about this for it to have ever been said in the first place. 

Many signs are pointing to a revised PS4 in the future which is more powerful. Could the days of full stop console generations really be coming to an end? Is Sony going to attempt to turn the PS4 into the iPhone of the livingroom, built around the PS4 OS and PlayStation Network? I think the evidence is mounting, and the answer is a massive yes. What do you think?

High-Power PS4

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/high-power-ps4-model-something-sony-might-consider/1100-6431669/

Cadence of Innovation

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/28227dea-9c01-11e5-b45d-4812f209f861.html#axzz3v8dkfPuc

PlayStation VR External Processing Unit

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-playstation-vr-external-processor-revealed

4K Consoles are coming says Netflix

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2015/02/02/new-4k-capable-ps4-and-xbox-one-consoles-coming-this-year-predicts-netflix/

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network

I would claim that MegaDrive was the first evolving console, a machine that had a prebuilt expansion port and mid-generation essentially doubled its performance with the 32X. It was a failure but it showed how capable the system was.

My whole reason for choosing console over PC is the fact that it is a set standard.

I think we'll get one of two things:
- PS5 a lot sooner then expected. 2018, fully BC but very few exclusives (mostly cross gen 1st & third party games till 2020).
-$199 4k expansion unit fall 2017. 1080p (or higher), 60fps, high settings for all AAA titles and 4k for a tiny minority of more simple games.

I think the NX will be the first console where its built with the intention of users upgrading to their personal desired spec with X1 level hardware being the minimum starting point ($199)

melbye said:
My whole reason for choosing console over PC is the fact that it is a set standard.

Would a PS4 Spec 2 in 2018 with 4K capability, VR Processing, 3D audio, and extra HDMI/USB ports be a turn off? 

The way I see it, we have hit a point where quantum leaps in console performance are going to take much longer to achieve, however, advances in conveince or quailty can come in shorter cycles. So a new revision every couple of years could help keep the system fresh and up to date without leaving day one adapters in the dust. Then true next gen leaps like the PS5 could come once the tech is capable of delivering a true next gen experience. 

This IMO would end the issue of the gen 8 consoles. PS3 and X360 became to weak, but since they were not an evolving platform, Sony and MS had to bring out PS4 and XBO before a true leap could happen, but also before they lost the console market. Now we have consoles, that are just short of a true next gen experience. One is just on the edge of delivering 1080p games, and the one that can, still needs help to achive the true next gen of gaming which is VR. 

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network

If it is something that could be attached to the system to improve performance on existing games I would be buying it on day one. Like something that could bring everything to 60fps, higher resolution to textures, etc... like changing PC setting from High to Ultra.

BUT if it something that would work only for future games, then I would think about it. Would be better to have a PS5.

As Puppyroachhas said, the Sega Genesis/MegaDrive already had extra hardware that improved its capabilities with the MegaCD and the 32X. And there's also the original GameBoy, that changed and went from a monocrome screen to a color one.

So no, the PS4 wouldn't be the first evolving console.

And to make a console 4K capable, the only thing needed is an HDMI 2.0 port. Remember that it's Netflix who leaked that, and Netflix is about media content, not games.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Watch it not happen.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

+1 Sega Genesis

I had it in it's most powerful form. Old phat with phat Sega CD and 32X on top. That thing oozed of power. Too bad it couldn't fit the Master System adaptor on top. Believe me, I tried. Still have them in a box somewhere. One day it'll go in my Sega Shrine.

As for forward thinking, digital games is the start. These new consoles really fucked up when they didn't make games from last gen compatible with this gen. PS4 would have had to stay Cell though, to make that possible. But would have been one expensive bitch. Xbone really had no excuse, cuz they were closer to PC with 360 compared to PS3. I would expect from now on, all games will be compatible with future consoles, due to the PC nature of them. New consoles will just be more powerful PC parts.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

NEVER. GONNA. HAPPEN.

The whole point and very nature of consoles is that along the course of a generation, one box will play every game made for it. And eevey experience had by its users will be identical. Anyone that understands why consoles even exist will understand this.

These are the things likely to happen though;

- Near guaranteed BC across all future PS platforms. This is the biggest benefit from switching to an X64 architecture. So we can expect the PS5 to have full BC with the PS4.

- As the gen progresses, and depending on how successful VR is, expect to see a version of the PS4 with all the chips and I/O of the breakout VR box built in. As for the future, PSVr VR solution may show that the best and cheapest way to handle VR is by having separate VR hardware (chips) that are dedicated for specific VR related tasks. We will wither have a PS5 with a separate VR chip on board or it built into the PS5 SoC.

- Lastly, we think Cross-gen is bad now? Come next gen it will be worse, as the PS4 will likely support every single game made for the PS5, even if it means them running at sub 720p. So the PS4/PS5 will mark the beginning of full cross gen platforms. Even running an identical OS.