By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo To Unveil the NX at CES 2016 in Las Vegas in January- Article says as if fact, but I am skeptical

chakkra said:
Conina said:

Yeah, mobile chips with reasonable power consumption aren't there yet, even the fastest models have only a fraction of the power of a PS3, 360 or WiiU. Here is a nice comparison I found:  

I wonder where the Nvidia Shield tablet and Shield Android TV falls in that comparison.

Nvidia uses their Tegra X1 chip in the Shield TV, and the X1 uses 4xARM A57 cores and 4xA53 ones combined with their Maxwell GPU tech. Based on some tests, it's about 50% faster than Apple's A8x chip, which is a faster version of the chip found in the iPhone 6 that Apple uses in the iPad Air 2.

My guess is that it would be close to the Samsung S6 results.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
chakkra said:
Conina said:

Yeah, mobile chips with reasonable power consumption aren't there yet, even the fastest models have only a fraction of the power of a PS3, 360 or WiiU. Here is a nice comparison I found:  

I wonder where the Nvidia Shield tablet and Shield Android TV falls in that comparison.

Nvidia Shield TV and iPad Pro are around 3x - 4x faster than the Galaxy S6 in most graphic benchmarks, stilll not in reach of the PS3 or Xbox360:

You can't put that power in a handheld form factor with a battery ~3000 mAH yet, especially if the handheld should cost under $400.

PS: the offscreen numbers are useful for comparing the processing power and ignores the display resolution.

The onscreen numbers are a good indicator how mobile games will behave on that device... and both the smaller iPhones (6 + 6S) and the Z5 compact are really profiting from not going overboard with the display resolution:

Demanding games will still run smooth on them when 1080p+ models with similar SoCs will get performance problems.

^I was well off .

But I wonder how demanding are those games for the CPU part, and if the ARM processors can hinder its performance.

In any case, Nintendo will most likely go with AMD, so it doesn't really matter how powerful the Tegra X1 is, it won't be inside the NX.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.