By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Force Awakens Box Office Thread: $1,73B

StreaK said:
Insidb said:

What exactly are you referring to with this? Terminator and Terminator 2? That's one sequel that he's directed that has done better. If Avatar 2 bombs, half of his sequels will have done better.

Yeah, I'm pretty much referring to that but he also made Aliens which was the 2nd in the franchise. The point is, he obviously knows how to work with a formula.

And beginning with Terminator, it was just hit after hit. No slowing down. Ok, so it IS pretty far-fetched that Avatar 2 will top $3 billion but it surely WILL NOT flop. In fact, all it needs is foreign market to make profits. But I'm a gambling guy and will go with my $3 billion predicition.

I would be shocked if Avatar 2 flopped, because it was very well received and is still very much a part of the public consciousness. By the same token, it's unfair to compare Avatar to Star Wars or have similar expectations for the franchise. Star Wars is a cultural phenomenon that is embedded in the public consciousness. The Phantom Menace came out 16 years ago, was a massive disappointment, and still became the #2 grossing movie of all time, up to that point. Avatar was the mainstream herald of the 3D CG era, but that was a once-in-a-lifetime moment: we've become used to what was novel then.

Around the Network

This movie is steam rolling!

It is near the end of the end....

Landguy said:
This movie is steam rolling!

Im honestly surprised, I was kinda going by Phantom Menance number, I tough itd make around 1.3-1.4 bil, than release  happened and I was in line to watch the pre-release on my city here on Brazil and there was like 6 different generations there, there were everything from 10 year olds to 70s, and I went "this might actualy do some crazy numbers on the box office", still I was very sceptical it could come close to Avatar, now it seens its gona blow Avatar out of the water if it keeps going like this. World of mouth and the massively positive reviews are working wonders for this movie as well.

Just saw it tonight so I'll be contributing to it's Thursday. Hope it sets a high bar for Thursday non release numbers

I am expecting todays numbers to be around $26-28M

Around the Network
LordLichtenstein said:
I am expecting todays numbers to be around $26-28M

Reliable estimates stand at 27.5-28.5. A better hold than Avatar's on the Christmas Eve.

These numbers are amazing. Will it go to almost 50 million today?

It is near the end of the end....

Make it inflation adjusted, this counts. Example: i payed 13.50 for 1 ticket. Normally i pay max. 9. 

2 bio? Fine, but its not worth it. So boring.

I wonder if they go the LOTR route and release extended editions. It felt like they held back some scenes. I could swear there were scenes in the trailers that were not in the movies.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Porcupine_I said:
I wonder if they go the LOTR route and release extended editions. It felt like they held back some scenes. I could swear there were scenes in the trailers that were not in the movies.

There are a few cut sections of the movie to make the length shorter. I believe Phasma had more scenes that were cut out. And theres a maskless picture of Kylo Ren in the snow with some snow troopers which I assume was cut as well