By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Virginia School District closes over Islam worksheet

Would you get angry if your child received this?

Yes! It is making my child submit to Islam! 77 42.78%

No, it is simply teaching... 62 34.44%

Who cares? Honestly. No need to be butthurt. 41 22.78%

Total:180
Shiken said:
If the pledge of allegiance can be banned, other religions should not be in schools either. It isn't that hard...

Those are very different things. Using "under god" in the pledge has nothing to do with learning about Christianity.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network

Haha of course it's a fat fucking twat talking about Christianity on that link. Gluttonous, prideful, all of the good things about Christianity...err?

If the calligraphy were to say "Jesus is great" there would be no complaints at all.

Honestly, as someone who doesn't care for any of Abrahamic religions, I'd be pissed as well if my kid had homework like this.

For a second, I thought this was in my local county, and I got worried for a brief moment.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

You know why this is so stupid?

Islam, Christianity and Judaism all came from the same source. it's so fucking stupid. You all believe in the same God yet you fight more with eachother than against others.

Imo the sooner the recent wave of atheism spreads around the world the better. earth will be a more peaceful place.

Around the Network

Some people want Sharia Law, some people want Christianity to form our laws, some want anarchy... wherein lies the difference? Are people or groups in society not allowed to have their opinion on what is best for society? Most of us still prefer secular laws based on reason and we get to rule the land through democratic elections. This assignment in itself sounds like a logical part of any religious education where students are supposed to get some insight in different religions. And I have a strong feeling it's only because it's Islam that it stirs any controversy.

JRPGfan said:
Again another political thread to bait people into rageing.

How I wish these annouying political threads didnt show up on the front page.

OP is a muslim that took offense, to people takeing offense to writeing "allah is the only god".
Lets have a thread with lots of meningless hate thrown at one another for no reason.

1) kids shouldnt be forced to write that. They could have chosed something better to write.
2) its silly the school was shut down.

both sides are right.
Everyone agrees with this? why do we need a debate about it?

yes, because a mistake that I even pointed out myself apparently makes me a Muslim.

Nice. Thank you for your psychic powers

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Machina said:

I'm not sure that muslims that want to maintain the NTDWI and 'religion of peace' lines in political discourse from (actually ignorant) western political leaders should be all that ready for children to actually be taught about Islam. Much harder to convince someone it's a religion of peace after they've actually read a translation of the Quran and learnt more of the history of the religion's formation.

Teach kids about the major religions, I say, but don't dress them up; don't cherry pick the 'nice' bits, show it to them warts and all and let them come to their own conclusions as to its validity and place in modern society.

History has its ways of teaching. Islam had its good times(remember the golden ages?). However, it slowly went to a horrible decline... Nowadays I don't know what is going on in the Islamic community. I truly don't

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Puppyroach said:
Some people want Sharia Law, some people want Christianity to form our laws, some want anarchy... wherein lies the difference? Are people or groups in society not allowed to have their opinion on what is best for society? Most of us still prefer secular laws based on reason and we get to rule the land through democratic elections. This assignment in itself sounds like a logical part of any religious education where students are supposed to get some insight in different religions. And I have a strong feeling it's only because it's Islam that it stirs any controversy.

I think they should have replaced the words with non-religious texts. Though, I agree with you(slightly though) on Islam being the only source of controversy.

The most hated people are probably atheists, then Muslims. I can say they're tied for most hated people in America. 

So kids were asked to copy a text, and the parents threateden the school until it closed? Is that really what happened?
That's insane ._.

The sentence they're supposed to be copying is a bit strong, but.. meh. Get the Christian parents out of there though, religion and kids (no matter what religion it is), that's a nasty combination.