By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ranking Star Wars: Where is VII?

Volterra_90 said:
Arminillo said:
Volterra_90 said:
I totally loved it. It was one of the best Star Wars movie ever made, definitely in my top 3. They recover that Star Wars magic. No more over-complicated light-saber battles (even if I enjoyed that lightsaber battle in Revenge of the Sith, but this was another level of greatness). Not more cringe-worthy dialogue. Just an hilarious, fast-paced, pack of humour and emotion film. Congrats to Abrams and his team, they made a marvelous job.

So, my top would be:

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope / The Force Awakens (can't decide yet)
3. Revenge of the Sith
4. Return of the Jedi (I know some people might think this is odd, but Return of the Jedi has very marvelous scenes, combined with awful ones. I can't take the Endor battle seriously. And the Han Solo's rescue was... messy with all that Jabba's palace)
5. The Phantom Menace
6. Attack of the Clones

no cringe worthy dialouge? What about 'Stop holding my hand stop holding my hand' or 'what s a rathnar(whatever they were called)....THATS a rathnar.' or 'I'm so conflicted the I dont what to do daddy help me!...Anything son....*STAB* Thank youuuu..." or my favorite 'thats MYYY SHIIIPPP'

I don't see anything cringe-worthy about that, but I guess it's about tastes. And they're not remotely close to:

- “Anakin: From the moment I met you, all those years ago, not a day has gone by when I haven’t thought of you. And now that I’m with you again… I’m in agony. The closer I get to you, the worse it gets. The thought of not being with you – I can’t breathe. I’m haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me… what can I do? I will do anything you ask. [pause] If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.”

High romance at its best folks. What girl wouldn't swoon over "if you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me". 

Like seriously it reads like a 7th grader wrote that script. 

Around the Network

1) The Empires Strikes Back
2) The Return of the Jedi
3) A New Hope
4) The Force Awakens
5) Revenge of the Sith
6) Attack of the Clones aka Titanic in Space
7) The Phantom Menance

The worst part of The Force Awakens is the one sequence that feels most reminscent of the prequels and would right at home in any of the prequels ... the Raathjar sequence or whatever it was with those CGI monsters .... ugh.

Thankfully it was over in like 8 minutes and had Harrison Ford's steady hand to get us through it. Ford is FANTASTIC in The Force Awakens by the way.

arcaneguyver said:
Soundwave said:

IMO the Throne Room sequences with Palpatine and Vader/Luke are the most intense of the entire saga (yes even above anything in ESB)...

Agree with you there. Luke in a cold sweat and hiding both physically and mentally while Vader monologues, then "If you will not turn to the Dark Side....then perhaps SHE WILL," Luke going rage-mode... Definitely the most intense part for me. The lighting, direction, and music all came together perfectly.

I think a lot of people dismiss RoTJ due to Ewoks. They be like "I hate Ewoks, therefore it sucks". But it has so many wonderful, powerful moments like that final fight against Vader. The whole original trilogy are borderline magical in their pacing. Lucas may have been out of practice and shotty when it came to making the prequels (it had been about 20 years since he last directed a movie), but with the OT he was in his prime and he knew how time things just perfectly to give them the most dramatic effect possible. Where the Force Awakens there was so much hastiness, and chucking of information here and there and all over with no regard to their importance. It just lacked that beautiful timing.

Soundwave said:
The worst part of The Force Awakens is the one sequence that feels most reminscent of the prequels and would right at home in any of the prequels ... the Raathjar sequence or whatever it was with those CGI monsters .... ugh.

Thankfully it was over in like 8 minutes and had Harrison Ford's steady hand to get us through it. Ford is FANTASTIC in The Force Awakens by the way.

Eh, it's not CGI that is evil, Maz and Snoke were far more amazing than ANY of the shakey puppets they used. I just don't think CGI is good for the sets which was the prequels major problem, but for creatures, please do, even if it is just used in a hybrid manner to enhance the puppets Prometheus style.

NNID: TanukiTrooper - PSN: MatrosRx - STEAM: TanukiTrooper

MatrosRx said:
arcaneguyver said:
Soundwave said:

IMO the Throne Room sequences with Palpatine and Vader/Luke are the most intense of the entire saga (yes even above anything in ESB)...

Agree with you there. Luke in a cold sweat and hiding both physically and mentally while Vader monologues, then "If you will not turn to the Dark Side....then perhaps SHE WILL," Luke going rage-mode... Definitely the most intense part for me. The lighting, direction, and music all came together perfectly.

I think a lot of people dismiss RoTJ due to Ewoks. They be like "I hate Ewoks, therefore it sucks". But it has so many wonderful, powerful moments like that final fight against Vader. The whole original trilogy are borderline magical in their pacing. Lucas may have been out of practice and shotty when it came to making the prequels (it had been about 20 years since he last directed a movie), but with the OT he was in his prime and he knew how time things just perfectly to give them the most dramatic effect possible. Where the Force Awakens there was so much hastiness, and chucking of information here and there and all over with no regard to their importance. It just lacked that beautiful timing.

Soundwave said:

Eh, it's not CGI that is evil, Maz and Snoke were far more amazing than ANY of the shakey puppets they used. I just don't think CGI is good for the sets which was the prequels major problem, but for creatures, please do, even if it is just used in a hybrid manner to enhance the puppets Prometheus style.

I actually didn't mind Maz. I was bracing for it, bracing hard, like "here we go ... JJ's Jar-Jar coming on up" ... but she was kinda cool. That scene seemed like it got carved up though in the editing room. 

Yeah the timing of some scenes were a little off. Some things were too rushed, others went on too long. 

Snoke wasn't bad, he just seemed sorta generic to me. Like typical "evil dude with pale face ... lets throw in a few facial deformities and call it a day". Looked like Voldemort's cousin or something. They can still work with that character and make him better for VIII though. 

Around the Network

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Return of the Jedi/The Force Awakens
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. The Phantom Menace
7. Attack of the Clones

Attack of the Clones is not just the worst Star Wars film for me, but also one of the worst mainstream movies I've ever suffered through. Painful from beginning to end.

Spoiler risk.....

1 Return of jedi
2. Empire strikes
3. New hope
4. Revenge of siths
5 attack of the clowns
6 phantom boredom

7 force is sleepy (see minor spoiler)

*********** spoiler be warned

Qui gong and darth maul are much bad assiers then kylo pussy ren. Why does he has a special treatment?

1. Force Awakens
2. Return of the Sith
3. Revenge of the Jedi
4. The rest, don't care about the order

I just watched them all for the first time all the way through in the past week. I had seen them before, but not all the way through.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I take The Force Awakens so low because after the credits rolled, I had to slowly convince myself that what I saw was good--and for the most part, it WAS good. The new trio are cool.

I canny see what the fuck is typing. Goddam this Hulu add that covers up the text box on my phone...
Anyway, when I saw the other movies (Saw all of the ones from Jedi to RotS in theaters) I left excited and hyped up over what I had just seen. Even with RotS, I had to go see it three times in theaters. Day what you will, that movie flew by, and I was entertained. It struck the right emotional chords. People had to convince me that these movies were bad and to be honest, the still haven't. With this new one, I had to convince myself that this one was good. If it wasn't just a remake of Episode IV, I would love it more but like a friend of mine said "Isn't Creed just a remake of Rocky?" I understand, its a formula. That's how the beginning of these trilogies goes. Powerful kid on a dessert planet. Evil Menace with an army. Blue up their powerful base with an underpowered air strike.

MatrosRx said:

Soundwave said:

I like RotJ because it has, maybe, the most powerful face-to-face and light-saber fight in the saga (Luke vs Darth Vader vs The Emperor). That part is magnificent. And I don't mind a lot about the ewoks as comic relief and adorable characters, but the fight with the clones... I couldn't take that part very seriously. Not because of the ewoks per se, but because how they were handled. And I don't mind a lot about the Jabba palace's scene until the climax in the end, with Leia killing Jabba. So it's a very uneven film for me, but quite fantastic in the end. 

And, I agree, the CGI was well handled in this movie. It was not overused, and it was spot on. I'm not a fan of that giant Snoke (I hope it's only because it's an hologram, because I wouldn't like a giant ugly monster as the main villain), but that's the only problem I have with it. And I don't have any problems with Snoke's character barely developed, because there are two more films to talk about him/it. The Emperor was barely developed in the OT until the last film, so I'm OK with it. Oh, and yeah, Ford was fantastic. He's not rusty at all.