By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Could Microsoft land a deal with Konami to counter Sony's deal with KojiPro?

Doubt it would do anything for them. Right now Konami is public enemy #1.

Around the Network

I hope so, to get Snake back in Smash.

MS could probably land a deal to get MGS 6 exclusive, but it wouldn't help MS all that much.  Metal Gear series has always sold more on PS, maybe a 1/4 of the sales were on Xbox.  MGS V is at about 0.5 to 1 million on Xbox vs. 2.5 to 3.5 million on PS.  Just wouldn't make much sense to get it exclusive.  I think the Tomb Raider deal with Square Enix will probably be the last one MS does.  MS seems to be more focused on new ip for Microsoft Studios (Quantum Break, ReCore, Scalebound, Gigantic, Sea of Thieves, Cuphead, Below..etc.) and existing franchises (Crackdown 3, Gears of War 4, Halo Wars 2, Fable Legends..etc.).

Besides MS already has a deal with a renowed Japanese game developer, Keiji Inafune and comcept.  Maybe he's not as well known as Kojima, but a legend nonetheless.  He did create Mega Man and Dead Rising.

oniyide said:
AsGryffynn said:
DonFerrari said:
Considering the sales of Konami games on MS platforms that would be a dumber move than even RoTR

Zipping through the numbers, I noticed that new IPs seem to be doing nice in the XONE... Rather than an exclusive MGS, it'd be better to ask Konami to create a new IP...

this is the only thing that sorta makes sense....BUT its very clear that Konami doesnt even want to deal with video games anymore and the sole series they do have is pretty irrelevant on Xone, even if MS did want to Money hat which would be stupid, it is no longer associated with Kojima which will further alienate the fanbase which Konami does not need.

Creating a new IP might work, but the moment people see Konami's name on it, they'll walk away...

It makes more sense to ask Kojima to create a new IP for the XONE than asking the bastards the screwed him...

Mr Puggsly said:
If MS is gonna make an exclusive deal, why would hey do it with Konami? They don't exactly make games Xbox fans are looking for.

New IP that does? I just now noticed old IPs don't seem to be suffering from poor sales on the XONE. They are suffering poor sales across the board. The new IPs seem to be racketing up the numbers left by the old series. If anything, now's the generation to create new IPs and kill old ones.

theprof00 said:
A good rule of thumb for games and exclusivity is,
if the game is either going multiplat, or switching historical sides...it is likely a game that has cost the dev too much money and probably not very good.

So, seeing as how a new metal gear by konami only is probably going to be bad, I think there's a genuine possibility that a new sans-Hideo metal gear could be xbox only.

Almost every time we've seen a game switch sides from one sequel to the next, or if the game was announced multiplat and then went exclusive, it's generally been bad. There's a huge list of games like that and very few exceptions.

One of the rules of multiplat is that multiplats do not return to exclusivity. Ever.

RJ_Sizzle said:

Yeah, a timed exclusive for MGS on the current gen console it sold WAY the least on. That in no way will be a disaster. Nope.

We're not talking MGS...

I don't think they should, at this point no one likes Konami and their eventual new MG will sell like shit anyway because Konami has burnt too many bridges (seriously don't use the "userbase is on PS" when it's been made clear that Konami are assholes, don't say you think they are assholes and loathe them but support them by buying their game, that's probably the most backwards logic anyone could come up with as an excuse).

Though MS could probably just buy the IP's left that aren't being used and support those IP's without having to support Konami.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

Best deal IMO would probably be Silent Hill.

But I think every AAA developer and publisher is looking at RoTR and thinking "if it's not a shooter it's not worth it." Even if MS pays them enough that the game can sell 0 units and they come out ahead compared to the sales on PS4 that will never happen, the damage to an existing IP's brand and long term worth would be too much.

The only genre MS and use to give Sony the middle finger is shooters, and there are so many shooters out there that it wouldn't really matter.

Or Konami could put virtual pachinko machines on Xbox.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Konami isn't very beloved right now. Partnering with them would be a step above Xbox striking a deal with ISIS. Maybe 2 steps.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

AsGryffynn said:
oniyide said:

One of the rules of multiplat is that multiplats do not return to exclusivity. Ever.

RJ_Sizzle said:

Yeah, a timed exclusive for MGS on the current gen console it sold WAY the least on. That in no way will be a disaster. Nope.

We're not talking MGS...

"Like get timed exclusive release for MGS new game, or exclusive content? Or an exclusive spin-off from MGS? Or a new IP?"

First line, bro.

Darwinianevolution said:
Considering the bad reputation Konami has, I think noone is going to ask a collaboration with them in a very long time.

Considering the bad reputation MS also has... why would anyone lock a game on their platform?

Honestly, I think Konami is sour over Kojima leaving 'em and will more than likely approach MS about making a game or two exclusive. I don't think MS really needs to respond in any way and shouldn't do any deal with Konami.