By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gaming Exclusives Hurt the Industry

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

The IP doesn't even exists yet, its more like teh Titanfalls and Respawn

It's nothing like Titanfall. The developer thought/was developing Titanfall as a multiplat until EA pulled an exclusive deal with Microsoft late in the game. The game would have been funded either way by EA.

Around the Network

Titanfall became Xbone exclusive so that Respawn could keep the IP and not ask EA for more money.

Who knows if TF gets done or what it looks like if MS doesn't fund part of it.

I agree. Exclusives hurt the gaming industry, especially Sony. They should keep the money to balance out the loses of their smartphone division, or maybe even buy the expensive offices they've sold instead of investing it on making more games.

.- -... -.-. -..

Zkuq said:
Ahem. I don't think Kojima is exactly known for disliking Sony (I'm kind of trying to hint the opposite), and it's not a terrible business decision either to release a game exclusively on the most popular console platform that's only looking to grow its lead. My point is that it's not black and white.

Even when, said leading platform, shares the same harware architecture with another platform that will still have 30m+ install base by the time the game comes out? I can't see the gray area. A platform being in the "lead" is useless to 3rd parties. Remenber how the Wii destroyed everything in sales during 4 years? The only important thing for 3rds is potential sales vs dev costs. The XBone would still yield a high profit margin even if it sells 1/4 as many games.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Exclusives are necessary in order to add value to individual systems. It also helps devs to focus on one set of hardware and features rather than spreading resources too thin.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Around the Network

Bad for consumers you mean.

Exclusives do not hurt the industry. I, actually, just posted this in a Reddit comment:

I mean, I get what you're saying, but this mentality is ridiculous. Every generation til the last one (when Xbox was actual competition and didn't let Playstation not waltz into dominance), every console had exclusive games and no one cared. It's what set each system apart. Now, when a system has exclusive games, it's "screwing over other gamers"? How so? Because they can't play them? That's the point. It's what makes the system attractive. Is McDonald's screwing you over because the Big Mac is exclusive and not sold at BK? No, you're not screwed over. You just go to McDonald's. Same with exclusive games. It's not "having more options" to be able to get a Big Mac at both McDonald's and BK, because that's not how competition works, and they would, otherwise, be the same restaurant. It's more like "you have the option to get a Big Mac, if you want one. But you can only get it at McDonald's. If you only go to Burger King, you can only get the Whopper". You go to two different restaurants because of just that: they're different. So how does "different" now mean "screwing people over"?

If gamers "weren't screwed over", we'd just have all the same games on every system or worse, just one system. How does something like that encourage competition and innovation? What's the point of PS4, XB1, WiiU if not for exclusive games setting them apart? Why not have a PSWii1, if you want "games to be available to everyone"? That sure would be great /s

The salt is strong with this one...

Sony is helping fund Kojima's first new IP, this means a better product in the end. MS helped fund RotTR, it lead to a better game (albiet sales were hurt by a bad release window). These deals are good for gaming because they offer a better final product in many cases. These deals are made to promote competition, competition is good for gamers.

If you don't like it, get all 3 consoles. They are not that expensive and you will no longer feel bound by a single brand.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

While in a perfect world Kojimas game would be multiplatform, we don't know if Kojima has the resources himself to set up a developer and have the budget for a AAA game. Sony is a logical partner for many reasons.

It's absolutely NOTHING like the Tomb raider deal, which was/is one of the most blatant 'moneyhat'/sellout of recent times.

And it's even been announced for PC at the same time.

PS, PS2, Gameboy Advance, PS3, PSP, PS4, Xbox One

beeje13 said:
While in a perfect world Kojimas game would be multiplatform, we don't know if Kojima has the resources himself to set up a developer and have the budget for a AAA game. Sony is a logical partner for many reasons.

It's absolutely NOTHING like the Tomb raider deal, which was/is one of the most blatant 'moneyhat'/sellout of recent times.

And it's even been announced for PC at the same time.

This I agree with.  Tomb Raider is an established franchise with most of the fanbase on the other console.  Furthermore I feel if a franchise goes multiplat it should stay multiplat.

Before anyone cries bias at me, I feel the same way about SFV.  Games like Sunset Overdrive, Bloodborne, and the new Kojima game however are fair game in my eyes due to having nothing established on any of the consoles.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261