By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prediction: Horizon Zero Dawn > Zelda BoTW

KLAMarine said:

Key words to pay attention to: I find Horizon's colors to be somewhat dull and grayish judging by most of what I've seen so far...

I hadn't really seen much of the game at the point in which I made the post and 'somewhat' as in to a degree. There's definitely color in the game but I wouldn't consider the colors terribly vibrant.

Those gifs look great celador but as someone who hasn't played the game or seen much of it even off-hand, I must ask if there are scenes in which the, for example, the green of the grass is a brighter green? A more vibrant green? Comparable for example to Breath of the Wild's grass?

That's why I posted the link to that thread so you could go check it out. And see more of the game hence the reason I said I hope this helps. And the grass in HZD and BoTW really can't be compared seeing as the art styles are different. But yes there are scenes where the grass is brighter.

KLAMarine said:
celador said:
Zelda's green may be more vibrant and brighter, but that is because it is more stylised. Horizon goes for a realistic look. I'm not sure why having bright grass means it is better anyway.

I'm looking outside right now at the grass nearby, sun shining on it. It's a much brighter green than what I see in the gifs you posted.

As for bright grass being better, that's a matter of opinion.

Well to be fair the gifs he posted were from a desert region and like a frozen moutain area so having vibrant green grass in those types of areas would not really make a lot of sense. So that's why you do not see them there. But go check out the thread I linked for you! There are loads of pics and gifs there showing all different parts of the game!

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
GOWTLOZ said:

Colours aren't relative.

You still haven't showed a grey place in Horizon. Yes Zelda has more light green but I don't see grey in Horizon.

I don't recall saying grey, I said somewhat dull and grayish.

The green on the grass in celador's third gif is somewhat dark in my opinion and would like to see the same gif with the grass a little greener. I think it would look better.

That's some next gen level of nitpicking man. This is a forum so I'm really controlling myself from saying something that could get me banned from here.

To put it simply, dark green is not grey and even greyish. It is dark green. Yes, dark green. And I've seen such grass in real life that is dark green as I've seen light green grass. Yes both exist.

And the complete absence of grey in a game is no better than its prevalence.

Horizon is more brown than grey It does have a brown thing going on, but I wouldn't call it dull since there are enough things going on in the game to make it not a big deal.

TheBlackNaruto said:
KLAMarine said:

Key words to pay attention to: I find Horizon's colors to be somewhat dull and grayish judging by most of what I've seen so far...

I hadn't really seen much of the game at the point in which I made the post and 'somewhat' as in to a degree. There's definitely color in the game but I wouldn't consider the colors terribly vibrant.

Those gifs look great celador but as someone who hasn't played the game or seen much of it even off-hand, I must ask if there are scenes in which the, for example, the green of the grass is a brighter green? A more vibrant green? Comparable for example to Breath of the Wild's grass?

That's why I posted the link to that thread so you could go check it out. And see more of the game hence the reason I said I hope this helps. And the grass in HZD and BoTW really can't be compared seeing as the art styles are different. But yes there are scenes where the grass is brighter.

KLAMarine said:

I'm looking outside right now at the grass nearby, sun shining on it. It's a much brighter green than what I see in the gifs you posted.

As for bright grass being better, that's a matter of opinion.

Well to be fair the gifs he posted were from a desert region and like a frozen moutain area so having vibrant green grass in those types of areas would not really make a lot of sense. So that's why you do not see them there. But go check out the thread I linked for you! There are loads of pics and gifs there showing all different parts of the game!

I don't doubt there are more vibrant colors in the game. What I said was based off of a limited exposure to the game.

I'll check the thread later. My break at work is almost over.

GOWTLOZ said:
KLAMarine said:

I don't recall saying grey, I said somewhat dull and grayish.

The green on the grass in celador's third gif is somewhat dark in my opinion and would like to see the same gif with the grass a little greener. I think it would look better.

That's some next gen level of nitpicking man. This is a forum so I'm really controlling myself from saying something that could get me banned from here.

To put it simply, dark green is not grey and even greyish. It is dark green. Yes, dark green. And I've seen such grass in real life that is dark green as I've seen light green grass. Yes both exist.

Why? Do you have a negative opinion of dull and grayish colors? I don't. I think they can work very well at times.

Dull and grayish colors fit very well with games like Guerrilla's Killzone on the PS2. The game is about war and you travel through battle-ruined locations so the tone, one of war and destruction, fits well with dull and grayish colors. More natural settings like those in HZD, in my opinion, stand to benefit from more vibrant colors which, to me, feel more alive.

CGI-Quality said:
KLAMarine said:

I paid very close attention to what you wrote and stand firmly by what I said. 

It's all ultimately opinion. I'm not trying to disprove someone's opinion.

KLAMarine said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

I don't doubt there are more vibrant colors in the game. What I said was based off of a limited exposure to the game.

GOWTLOZ said:

Why? Do you have a negative opinion of dull and grayish colors? I don't. I think they can work very well at times.

Dull and grayish colors fit very well with games like Guerrilla's Killzone on the PS2. The game is about war and you travel through battle-ruined locations so the tone, one of war and destruction, fits well with dull and grayish colors. More natural settings like those in HZD, in my opinion, stand to benefit from more vibrant colors which, to me, feel more alive.

CGI-Quality said:

I paid very close attention to what you wrote and stand firmly by what I said. 

There isn't enough gray in Horizon to call it greyish and you know very well that is what all of us are trying to say yet you try to act obtuse and unaware as I'm pretty sure you understand us. Just accept it, this game is not greyish, whether that has a negative or positive connotation has no relevance to what we are trying to explain to you.

I don't know what you want when you say this game needs more vibrant colours. This game has the best colour palette I've seen in a game in years, incredible variety of hues ranging from very dark to very light colours and HDR really makes the colours pop even more but that is something you can only see in person on an HDR display.

Zelda does however look too green, very greenish with not a lot of colour variety and of course does not have HDR. Zelda also does have grey as I've seen, but that doesn't make the game greyish. That would be something applicable to Killzone 2 where I can agree and as you said sometimes that is intentional and that was the case in Killzone 2. Horizon wouldn't benefit from grey colours and so the developers did not put much grey there.

Around the Network

Horizon not colourful enough well that's the joke of the day. If someone didn't claim Zelda also looked better.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

yeah, Horizon is definetly NOT dull and gray

CGI-Quality said:
KLAMarine said:

Just based on experience with the game, at no point do I find it dull or grey. It's color palette is one that always works with the amience of each scene. 

I'll take your word for it. I have not played the game myself.

GOWTLOZ said:
KLAMarine said:

There isn't enough gray in Horizon to call it greyish and you know very well that is what all of us are trying to say yet you try to act obtuse and unaware as I'm pretty sure you understand us. Just accept it, this game is not greyish, whether that has a negative or positive connotation has no relevance to what we are trying to explain to you.

I don't know what you want when you say this game needs more vibrant colours. This game has the best colour palette I've seen in a game in years, incredible variety of hues ranging from very dark to very light colours and HDR really makes the colours pop even more but that is something you can only see in person on an HDR display.

Zelda does however look too green, very greenish with not a lot of colour variety and of course does not have HDR. Zelda also does have grey as I've seen, but that doesn't make the game greyish. That would be something applicable to Killzone 2 where I can agree and as you said sometimes that is intentional and that was the case in Killzone 2. Horizon wouldn't benefit from grey colours and so the developers did not put much grey there.

I have not made it a secret that I come from a very limited angle on this: I have not played Horizon. All I can go off of currently is memory, some of the stuff posted here, and the Horizon ads I see regularly.

SpokenTruth said:
Is someone really trying to paint Horizon as similar to the gray/brown hues of the early HD games?

No, man, just no. Stop. Every post is a deeper hole. Just climb out, dust yourself off and try to forget you said Horizon was brown and grayish.

If you're referring to me, I don't recall saying 'brown'.

Qwark said:
Horizon not colourful enough well that's the joke of the day. If someone didn't claim Zelda also looked better.

Opinions, man.

Eric2048 said:
yeah, Horizon is definetly NOT dull and gray

It probably isn't. Again, I have not played the game.

Horizon zero dawn dull and grayish? That's not even a matter of opinion anymore, that is just plain  wrong.

Horizon is the most vibrant open world game there is in any platform.