By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why you should play PS2 classics on PC

SvennoJ said:
sc94597 said:
SvennoJ said:
Nocturne123 said:
Or you could, you know, pay for them and support Sony so they can put that money into the PS4 infrastructure and it's games.

That's a strange concept. But yes, I rather buy Burnout again then mess with an emulator and show that there is still enough interest in the series to spend money on. It's all convenience in the end which is worth a bit of money to me. Time > money.

Honestly the time I spend tweaking settings for a specific game I rip off a disc is about 10-15 minutes (including ripping the iso.) That is less than the download time for the PS2 game from Sony servers would take. I'd argue that if you already own the game, it is more time-efficient than downloading the title again. Especially for larger PS2 games that used multiple discs. 

Out of the interest of curiosity I gave the download a try. However 5 minutes later I'm stumped...

PSCX2 requires a legal copy of the PS2 BIOS to run games.
You cannot use a copy obtained from a friend or the internet.
You must dump the BIOS from your *own* Playstation 2 console.

How do I do that? Is that even legal?
How do I connect my ps2 console to my pc to dump the bios?

If you care about everything being "legal" and not everything being "ethical" or "moral" then here is how you can extract a bios. 

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Guide-to-Dumping-Your-PS2-Bios-over-LAN

Nevertheless, if you already had a PS2 I really don't see the big deal of using another PS2's bios unless you are obsessed with the legality of things. There is a good argument against the piracy of games (i.e you are hurting the developer by doing so), but since Sony isn't selling Playstation bios', unless you only care about intellectual property abstractly and are obsessed with following the law, it isn't an issue to find one and download it, unlike finding games that are being sold legally. 

Edit: Yes, you can use a copy obtained from the internet. PSCX2 just can't say that you can for legal reasons. 

Around the Network

I would definitely recommend buying 3rd party PS2 games on Steam over getting them on PS. It sucks that your purchases are stuck to a specific generation of device.

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

Meh... I dont play games without Achievements

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
OdinHades said:
I don't have a PC and PCSX2 doesn't run in Fullscreen on OSX, so meh. Also, no trophies!

This.

sc94597 said:
SvennoJ said:
sc94597 said:
SvennoJ said:
Nocturne123 said:
Or you could, you know, pay for them and support Sony so they can put that money into the PS4 infrastructure and it's games.

That's a strange concept. But yes, I rather buy Burnout again then mess with an emulator and show that there is still enough interest in the series to spend money on. It's all convenience in the end which is worth a bit of money to me. Time > money.

Honestly the time I spend tweaking settings for a specific game I rip off a disc is about 10-15 minutes (including ripping the iso.) That is less than the download time for the PS2 game from Sony servers would take. I'd argue that if you already own the game, it is more time-efficient than downloading the title again. Especially for larger PS2 games that used multiple discs. 

Out of the interest of curiosity I gave the download a try. However 5 minutes later I'm stumped...

PSCX2 requires a legal copy of the PS2 BIOS to run games.
You cannot use a copy obtained from a friend or the internet.
You must dump the BIOS from your *own* Playstation 2 console.

How do I do that? Is that even legal?
How do I connect my ps2 console to my pc to dump the bios?

If you care about everything being "legal" and not everything being "ethical" or "moral" then here is how you can extract a bios. 

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Guide-to-Dumping-Your-PS2-Bios-over-LAN

Nevertheless, if you already had a PS2 I really don't see the big deal of using another PS2's bios unless you are obsessed with the legality of things. There is a good argument against the piracy of games (i.e you are hurting the developer by doing so), but since Sony isn't selling Playstation bios', unless you only care about intellectual property abstractly and are obsessed with following the law, it isn't an issue to find one and download it, unlike finding games that are being sold legally. 

Edit: Yes, you can use a copy obtained from the internet. PSCX2 just can't say that you can for legal reasons. 

Both are free and legal—none of the code in the emulators themselves belongs to Sony

While that is technically true, you have to mod chip / jail break your ps2 to get the bios to be able to use the emulator.
Sony doesn't sell the BIOS nor made it available for use on anything besides the ps2, therefore pscx2 is in a gray area when it comes to legality.

Anyway I'm not going to download the bios from a dodgy site, nor am I going to jailbreak my ps2. So pointless download.

Around the Network

Not all games are well on PCSX2, i tried Shadow of Clossus(i have disc legitly) on emulator, it ran well without any up-render 1080p just default setting that they used to optimized, if i do that, the graphic will be glitched, unless i the one who have to optimize somehow graphic plugins. :S

zero129 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
Thread should be renamed "why you should steal PS2 games instead of buying them legally on PS4". Personally, I would argue that it's better to buy the real games and play them on a CRT on a real PS2 but, that's for another thread lol.

Why should it be named that? .

Have you even read the OP instead of just the thread title??.

It talks about using your "Own" PS2 discs in the PC something you cant do on the PS4..

Now please explain to me why i should "Rebuy" PS2 games i already own just to play them on the PS4?, when its much more simpler for me to pop that disc into my PC or rip it to my HDD and play it on my PC?. I payed the original cost for the game. Many of my PS2 games i own since they where brand new, so why should i be forced to re buy them again?.

And if i choose not to re buy them again, but instead play them on my PC. Why should i have to have Console users such as you and Vita telling me im a pirate??..

This thread has nothing to do with Piracy so it would be nice if some users didnt try bringing it off topic by bringing that into it.

I'm pretty sure the majority of people who uses PCSX2 download the ROM to play the games.  Playing on emulation encourages piracy, and that's a fact.

zero129 said:
SvennoJ said:

Both are free and legal—none of the code in the emulators themselves belongs to Sony

While that is technically true, you have to mod chip / jail break your ps2 to get the bios to be able to use the emulator.
Sony doesn't sell the BIOS nor made it available for use on anything besides the ps2, therefore pscx2 is in a gray area when it comes to legality.

Anyway I'm not going to download the bios from a dodgy site, nor am I going to jailbreak my ps2. So pointless download.

Yes cos Sony is going to lose so much money from you downloading a Bios from the internet for a system you already own and payed for but cant rip the bios yourself...

Who cares about Sony, it's called morals and principles and laziness :p

zero129 said:

Now please explain to me why i should "Rebuy" PS2 games i already own just to play them on the PS4?, when its much more simpler for me to pop that disc into my PC or rip it to my HDD and play it on my PC?.

You know what's more simple than ripping games and fucking with an emulator? Popping them into a PS2 and playing on a CRT. If this was about simplicity, that's the best way to go.

And we all know that almost everyone who uses emulators are stealing the games via torrents. Trying to argue otherwise is just foolish and insulting. 

sc94597 said:
OneKartVita said:
I won't because my PC is used for work only and I'd rather support the people who make these games. I'm not a pirate YEEEAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH

All of my 50 or so PS2 ISO's that I have on my hard drive I had bought, and about 30% I bought new. So... 

Sony are selling ps2 games on PC or do you mean you still have the discs?  I don't have most of mine anymore..