By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why you should play PS2 classics on PC

StuOhQ said:
Personally, I prefer component cables and a good ol' PS2.

Sure, the jaggies are a mile wide on my projector, but the pixels are crisp enough in 480p.

I used to play ps2 games on a CRT projector, no pixels, it smeared it out quite nicely. (And zero display lag, that didn't exist yet)
Too bad I had to get rid of it. Replacing the light bulbs cost a lot more than I paid for the thing at the time.

I have it connected to an old 34" CRT tv atm in the spare bedroom. I haven't tried the actual ps2 on the lcd projector, although I did play ff12 and god of war 2 through ps3 BC that way. The problem with the ps2 is that the cords on the controllers aren't long enough!

Around the Network

I have to say that this thread is like years too late lol, been doing that shit for a long time to the point where I don't even run PS2 emulators anymore since I already played what I wanted.

sc94597 said:
elektranine said:

You obviously dont understand anything that you are talking about. Piracy == Copyright infringement. Piracy is what this thread is about. You cannot legally play PS2 games on your PC. In doing so you are committing copyright infringement AKA piracy.

Actually you don't know what you are talking about. It is perfectly legal to backup games that you've purchased as long as there is no DRM. It is also legal to use said backup in the event you cannot use the original. It is not legal to distribute that backup. Nevertheless, you don't even need to backup the game to play it on PCSX2. You can just play off the disc. Please cite the U.S law that says otherwise. 

http://info.legalzoom.com/dmca-backup-copyrighted-content-22827.html

What the DMCA does, through DRM, is make the circumvention illegal, not the actual copying. So, now, even if you own your DVD and are trying to make a personal copy for when, not if, your children scratch the original, or you want to make a copy to watch on your computer, it is illegal to bypass DRM protection measures to make your backup. Circumvention means avoiding, bypassing, removing, deactivating or impairing a technological measure without permission from the copyright owner. This includes bypassing iTunes DRM to copy the music files you bought or using software to break DRM locks to copy DVDs.

See Nintendo on this matter:

https://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp#download_rom

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.

All you have is shown that have a horrible comprehension of what is going oon.

I’m sure the "it says on legal zoom" excuse will hold up in a court of law. In fact the website has a disclaimer "LegalZoom is not a law firm, and the employees of LegalZoom are not acting as your attorney. LegalZoom's legal document service is not a substitute for the advice of an attorney. "

The DMCA expressly forbids the manufacture, development, distribution, or possession of any tool, hardware or software, that circumvents copyright protection or allows the use of a copyrighted work contrary to the original intentions of the copyright holder.

Sony "originally intended" for PS2 games to be played only on the PS2 console or devices specifically licensed to play PS2 games. It says so in their licensing terms. You cannot legally use these copyrighted works on the PC.

You are allowed to make a backup/copy for archival purposes only. You are not allowed to use the archival backup for production use. You cannot in any way use that archival backup to play the game. Also it should be noted that when making the backup you cannot circumvent any copyright protection scheme in doing so.

I've had such a blast with PCSX2 that I will never buy ps2 games on my ps4. I still prefer to play my original copies of the games on my crtv, but some games really do deserve to be played at max settings/60 fps on pcsx2. Digital Devil Saga looked absolutely gorgeous. the improvements on ps4 seem to be very minor compared to those in PCSX2

Hi

Or you could just play them on the ps2 if you already have one, if you don't then you might as well go whatever way is cheaper, like if it's cheaper to buy the game on ps4 then get it on ps4 but if its cheaper to buy the disc (usually ps2 games are cheap on amazon) then buy the disc and emulate it. Or if you're obsessed with trophies then get the ps4 version.

Around the Network

Believe me you will soon forget all super old emulation if you are busy with new games. My time have been consumed with Skyrim Moding and Civ 5 on PC. And i am playing Fallout 4 and The Witcher 3 on PC. While trying to finish Bloodborn on Ps4. Even i am can maximize my rig to play on PCSX2. Give me PCSX3 (PS3 emulation ) news when it's ready

No trophies so no deal, and also how can i support the devs who made these games if im stealing off them? This is pathetic and wrong, go get a job and stop stealing off the ppl that bring you these games you love.

No trophy no buy - as simple as that. Plus, I refuse to spend upwards of $2000 on a gaming laptop.

I still play PS2 games on a PS2 on an old phat TV. Early 2000's teas.

Because its much better than to pay for them again and again and again knowing that with next consoles it will stay the same

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS