By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Hardware numbers Germany - Wii sells best in April

davygee said:

Very interesting....we all know how hard the PS3 has it at the moment...but the 360 numbers are very worrying for Xbox owners etc.

It means that the 360 has sold on average 15k units a month since it's release in December 2005; the Wii has sold 44k per month on average since its release and the PS3 has sold 35k on average per month since it's release.

It's not worrying to me. On the contrary since we are often hearing how360 is dead in the water in Europe outside UK, it's actually very positive. For example, to sell 1/2 as much as Wii and >1/2 as much as PS3 is pretty good if you do indeed consider 360 an utterly dead system in Europe, as we're often told.

In fact, since this is only PS3's second month after launch, I'd say 360 has a good chance in the future to catch and surpass PS3 monthly sales.

I think what it highlights most is what a small market Germany is for consoles. I've read that the market for videogamers over 14 is nonexistant over there.

I imagine just as most Americans hate Germany, they feel embarrassed, but the 360 sales are pretty good. 

Around the Network

im from austria germanies neighbour and we get all the games without censoring but the numbers are quite the same. i'd say we've a lot people over 14 who buy consoles but here we have a very strong pc market. thats why ps3 is loosing so bad in europe' cause most of us already've a pc next to our tv. and yes lots of us feel angry about sony releasing their console so late in europe without the ps2 emulatorhting and the high price. and sony thought eu is sonyland we dont like to be told what we are ^^ the xbox has a brandproblem in europe bcause of microsoft and because of all the failures price and design. bill gates hasn't the best reputation in europe :) lots of us didn't like the xbox and think that the 360 is way to big & to loud for a console - i think thats why the wii rocks europe. its innovative its small looks nice and the price is ok. i think the numbers will grow because its nearly impossible to find a wii in a store. greeZ from vienna

So the PS3 sold 6,500 more units in Germany for the month of April. At that pace they will pass the 360 in Sept 2009.

nintendo_fanboy said:
mrstickball said:
Hopefully a few of our great American games make it past their nazi censorship ways.

I think there's no need to attack germany in such a stupid manner...

How was that an attack/insult?

I think he's fully correct, though the nazi reference wasn't really necessary. Seeing to it that children don't play/watch inappropriate content should be the parents' task, not the country's. A less restrictive rating system would be fully sufficient imho. I couldn't care less though, since I always buy US/UK versions of games anyway.

Golvellius said:
nintendo_fanboy said:
mrstickball said:
Hopefully a few of our great American games make it past their nazi censorship ways.

I think he's fully correct, though the nazi reference wasn't really necessary. Seeing to it that children don't play/watch inappropriate content should be the parents' task, not the country's. A less restrictive rating system would be fully sufficient imho. I couldn't care less though, since I always buy US/UK versions of games anyway.

Nintendo_fanboys sentence only reffered to the "Nazi - part" I think... there is no question the way our politicians solved the videogame "problem" is dramatically silly and is heavily discussed in the public. Still I don´t want to be called a Nazi since I hate every kind of rasism and 98% of all germans do so, too.

Around the Network
Louie said:
Golvellius said:
nintendo_fanboy said:
mrstickball said:

Nintendo_fanboys sentence only reffered to the "Nazi - part" I think... there is no question the way our politicians solved the videogame "problem" is dramatically silly and is heavily discussed in the public. Still I don´t want to be called a Nazi since I hate every kind of rasism and 98% of all germans do so, too.

He was obviously not talking about people, so I cannot see where you/I are being called nazis. But let's leave it at that, I realize that other people's skin might not be as thick as mine.

On-topic: Ignoring the Wii numbers, Xbox 360 sales were obviously below average last month, while the PS3 launch hype might not have fully worn off, so the next months will be interesting.

I apologize if your offended by my comment. I am of German decent myself (and rather happy of it). I'm not trying to liken germany, it's people, or government to nazi ideologies (as I don't believe history would show us that Nazis was a germany-only problem. I liken it to marxism of the past century). It's merely a restrictive ideolgy. Plus we have plenty of Nazi's in the US that I am sure are not Germans. What strikes me as odd about the government decision to ban all games of every form that harbor any of the more "extreme" forms of violence, nazi images, ect, is that it's kind of random and dumb. In the United States, we learn about our terrible past and it's pushed in our faces every single day (racism). Rather than ban images of it, and blacklist the word, we embrace what makes us wrong, in order to better ourselves. I guess it's a cultural difference between Germany and the United states. Louie, I apologize, but my comments aren't aimed toward you, or anyone of the great German population. It's just merely that I cannot find a better party that restricted things in life outside of that (or unless you know of Pol Pot's regime?) I'll go ahead and edit my post. On topic: The reason I used such strong words about Germany are this: They are, by and far, the most restrictive country in the Western world (and most of the eastern world) when it comes to video game violence and content. Because of this, an otherwise PC friendly market (which can translate into 360 succuess), has been severly diminished. I cannot IMAGINE what kind of sales the 360 would of had stateside if we didn't have our million sellers in Gears of War, Dead Rising, and Call of Duty 2 and 3. I doubt the 360 would of done probably 80% or less of the total sales, as all the games germany has banned are million sellers.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Lynn said:
So the PS3 sold 6,500 more units in Germany for the month of April. At that pace they will pass the 360 in Sept 2009.

Well the christimas season is particularly strong here for sales ,I would saly 40% of the sales come from that period alone .In those periods the PS3 should sell way more than 6500K consoles more than the 360.

Golvellius said:
Louie said:
Golvellius said:
nintendo_fanboy said:
mrstickball said:

Nintendo_fanboys sentence only reffered to the "Nazi - part" I think... there is no question the way our politicians solved the videogame "problem" is dramatically silly and is heavily discussed in the public. Still I don´t want to be called a Nazi since I hate every kind of rasism and 98% of all germans do so, too.

He was obviously not talking about people, so I cannot see where you/I are being called nazis. But let's leave it at that, I realize that other people's skin might not be as thick as mine.

On-topic: Ignoring the Wii numbers, Xbox 360 sales were obviously below average last month, while the PS3 launch hype might not have fully worn off, so the next months will be interesting.

I wrote my comment because of the Nazi part. I did not feel insulted by that, I mean, I'm not even german. But the german-speaking countries have a different approach to that Nazi theme and in my eyes you should at least think twice before you call something Nazi. They have caused so much pain that you should not make jokes about it.

But I think mrstickball has made his point clear and he apologized, so let's just forget about it.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

@ mrstickball: living in Germany I can say for sure that we do confront our selfs with the past and we do try to understand the evil we did rather than forget it, the reason nazi images are banned from games is because some people fear they may be glorified, I would prefer calling censorship fashist rather than nazi but its all really the same,  and just to get it streight, most games (99%) do make it to the german market(some with less blood and without nazi images) , germany IS a big videogame market but PCs dominate, we still have nazis running around but there are as little as in america, the big violence debate started about 4 or 5 years ago when a german student shot more people in his school than the people in littleton did and the press made a big show about him playing counterstrike. 

From what I can tell americans don´t hate germany at all and even if germany seems to hate america its only because its "cool" to be against war and Bush, everybody still watches your TV playes your games listens to your musik and wears your clothes, so were still in love with american culture, we just don´t want to admit it, oh and I´m half American half German so I´ve been to both places and have heard both opinions, oh and a big thanx for getting rid of hitler (who was not german...."looking at denny but just kidding") at least in those days the evil guys had black uniforms with skulls on them.

So lets all enjoy the big things we have in common instead of fighting about the little things that separate us :)