By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - (Rumour) Rise of the Tomb Raider sells less than 200k in November (U.S.)

asqarkabab said:
AsGryffynn said:
asqarkabab said:

So that means that square shot themselves in the foot by making rotr one year exclusive on the bone

No. They shot themselves in the head by releasing this during F4's release...

Chris Hu said:

LOL at these comments. I'm not saying it did great but it did far from terrible considering games that where launched around the same time. You want to see terrible numbers for a sequel then look up the numbers for Wii Fit U.

Indeed...

Madword said:
There was that one guy who said TR would not be affected by FO4 sales....

As for TR, it was obvious... I don't see the PS4/PC versions being able to rescue the mess they have created for themselves. I'll bite when it's sub £20 on ps4... so probably dec 16 price cut time

He must've been drunk...

hentaihinata said:
MS killed Tomb Raider

They also created IS, funded Trump's campaign and caused global warming... next, they will shoot your dog...

Why is everybody giving so much weight to FO4 ?

It sold most on steam so it has nothing to do with the abysmal performance of Tomb Raider

"It sold most on Steam" does not equal "it sold average on consoles"...

The thing is a heavyweight when it comes to games and Greenberg said it himself. They thought it was too different to compete with F4, but they choose to release it in it's release date AND before Black Friday...

Everyone had been telling them not to rush it like they did with the MCC, but they didn't care and released it anyways...

Around the Network

Gonna just say that Tomb Raider is in no danger. Big valuable name brand and when they go exclusive, both sides go in knowing the risk

I dont understand why everyone blames SE, it was right as a bussiness move at the time in their view. Tombraider 2013 Sold way more on 360 than those numbers.
I rather blame Xbox one owners, why havent they bought it more? I dont get it. Maybe Xbox One is more of a cheaper multiplat alternative for people, and without PS4 owners hying it up as well it didnt reached Xbox One owners like other mutiplats have

Rob5VGC said:
PxlStorm said:
Who thought releasing this alongside Fallout 4 was a good idea?

"The challenge with Tomb Raider is if you go a week later you’re against Star Wars Battlefront, if you go a week earlier you’ll be against Call of Duty Black Ops 3 and if you go two weeks earlier you’re against Halo. And then you go late and then you’re like well, the consumer doesn’t have any money left to buy the game so there wasn’t a better scenario for us except that was the week it was not going head to head against Call of Duty or Star Wars Battlefront. We felt like the Fallout audience-they are not direct competitors per se, but you are right, it’s two big, big titles launching at the same time and we hope people will buy both.”

-Aaron Greenberg

http://egmr.net/2015/10/microsoft-chose-to-pit-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-against-fallout-4-instead-of-star-wars/

You know the problem isn't the week.  It's the period.  If they released in September everyone who's going to buy games in November has gaming money then.  The sales will be much better and the good word of mouth will give it legs.  The word spreads and then lots of people pink it up on BF and during the holiday on sale for around $40. 

And if you're Microsoft it's your main bundle until November.  Instead they just drop it amongst the sales giants and after people have already bought games in September and October and it's just forgotten about.  They did the worst thing possible. (both square and MS).

AsGryffynn said:
asqarkabab said:

Why is everybody giving so much weight to FO4 ?

It sold most on steam so it has nothing to do with the abysmal performance of Tomb Raider

"It sold most on Steam" does not equal "it sold average on consoles"...

The thing is a heavyweight when it comes to games and Greenberg said it himself. They thought it was too different to compete with F4, but they choose to release it in it's release date AND before Black Friday...

Everyone had been telling them not to rush it like they did with the MCC, but they didn't care and released it anyways...

Its both ms and squares vault to release it this time in the year with heavyhitters like cod sw fo4 

Square was so dumb to make rotr an one year exclusive on the bone even they knew that the ps4 is the in in the market 

And blackfriday us only in the us if im right and has no meaning in europe and the middle east and japan

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

Around the Network
Ruler said:

I dont understand why everyone blames SE, it was right as a bussiness move at the time in their view. Tombraider 2013 Sold way more on 360 than those numbers.
I rather blame Xbox one owners, why havent they bought it more? I dont get it. Maybe Xbox One is more of a cheaper multiplat alternative for people, and without PS4 owners hying it up as well it didnt reached Xbox One owners like other mutiplats have

Popular word on XBL is that they wanted to, but ran out of money with F4, CoDBlops3 and SWB. So it seems MS's plan did not work anyways. As someone already pointed out, the problem was releasing in the holiday season.

Hiku said:
Mr Puggsly said:

You're ignoring one important thing, what would motivate SE to go exclusive with Tomb Raider? The only logical answer is MS paid a ton of money. Going exclusive isn't worthwhile if they could potentially lose any money. Frankly, it doesn't even make sense. Rise of the Tomb Raider didn't need MS to make money, so MS must have paid a ton of money just to have it exclusively for a year.

Selling 1.25 million units wouldn't cover $50 million though. $50 million in revenue is not profit. Doesn't matter, we can assume GTAIV DLC generated $50 million eventually.

I'm not ignoring that. I'm saying that there's a possibility that lower than expected sales cut into the profit margain of the deal. A.k.a the amount that MS paid SE on top of covering the expected expenses, to make it worthwhile for SE. I would think this amount is big enough that it will still have SE going +, even if sales continue this way on Xbox. However, the concern is what lower than expected sales on Xbox, along with potentially lower than expected sales on PS and PC could ammount to. Because these are sales on the console where most fans probably didn't get upset at this deal. And we've seen consumer backlash having negative effects before. The Street Fighter X Tekken on-disc DLC debacle for example. Or the recent XB1 DRM/Kinect. The question is how low beyond the

Even though I agree that GTAIV DLC presumably generated $50m, I'd still like to know what you mean by revenue is not profit, in this particular case? From what I read, the assumption was that MS took the full revenue of each DLC sale ($20 each), until the $50m loan had been paid back. After that, Take Two got their share on each sale. If that's the case, the only thing I can see cutting into their profits here are the cost of download bandwith, but that's probably not something people tend to include in their calculations.

If sales are lower than expected (we don't know digital number or expectation) than that probably effects MS more than SE. Hey, its possible SE got a big ass loan like Rockstar as well. We don't know, I just assume it must have been a fuck ton of money to make this game exclusive on Xbox.

In regards to GTAIV DLC, I'm just clarifying each unit sold isn't 100% profit. To generate $50 million dollars they have to sell millions, not 1.25 million.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

AEGRO said:

I know some people around here looking at these numbers, have the "Nelson Attitude" towards Square Enix for "betraying" the Playstation fanbase for such a stupid decision.

My question is:

What can Square Enix do in regards of this game to make the Playstation fans forget about that back stab?

Bundle the game with extras? Free DLC?

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition for Free on PS Plus and whatever,  lower price tag and maybe half year earlier. but i think even i will not buy this game. 

uncharted is it for me and later this year we will see. maybe for 10-20€

Eddie_Raja said:
Synesthesia said:
Maybe, just maybe... They should have been a little bit more worried about Fallout 4. :P

Well it's pretty much more indication that the Tomb Raider timed exclusivity deal was one of the worst ideas ever. It didn't help Microsoft, it didn't help Square... It pissed allot of their fanbase off which coincidentally many if not the most are on a different system so they didn't even release it to where most their fans were. This may effect the budget of the next game and significantly alter the franchises future, but hey... They said they were not worried!

The perfect storm of stupid is complete.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head.  A Tomb Raider game not coming to Playstation is laughable!  (I mean it is, but you know what I mean).

Don't worry, it will launch 1 year from now on PS4 with DLC on disc and sell 3x more on Playstation - and SE will never be this dumb again.

I basically agree with this. It would be almost as bad as making a Metal Gear game timed-exclusive to Xbox(or Nintendo console). The main audience for those games are on Playstation. MGSV sold something like 8 times as much on PS4 as compared to X1(according to VGC I know, but still sold several times more on Sony) because that title was made popular on Sony platforms. This is also the reason why Black Ops 3 has sold really well on Xbox 1 even with the PS4 having twice the user base AND marketing exclusivity, as COD was heavily tied into Xbox last gen.

I just hope this doesn't affect it coming to the PS4 because I want to play it.

The PS5 Exists.