By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - (Rumour) Rise of the Tomb Raider sells less than 200k in November (U.S.)

lol at the conspiracy theories

Around the Network

Tomb raider is riding a 90% digital wave. Everything is ok.

rutea7 said:
JRPGfan said:
rutea7 said:
if a game with this much western market appeal does this bad in a pre christmas sales season i wonder how bad a game like ff15 will sell on xone platform...

Its more about bad marketing and time management/planning than anything else.

Its not the platform, its how poorly a job was done, to help it sell anything.

That and fan bases actually matter.

If you steal away a title where most of its fan base is on another console, chances are sales are going to be bad.

it's fan base wasnt even on ps4... it's on PC. the marketing has indeed been close to none from what i've seen but it had the advantage of being a timed exclusive on a western centric platform

the TR remaster says otherwise

Who thought releasing this alongside Fallout 4 was a good idea?

PxlStorm said:
Who thought releasing this alongside Fallout 4 was a good idea?

No one on vgc did... and if we knew it was a bad idea, the guys in management must have known as well.

Which is why people in this thread are makeing up conspiracy theorys to explain why it was done.

Around the Network
binary solo said:
MS bought the exclusivity and then decided to ignore the game, except when it came to list wars. The literally did the minimum necessary under whatever obligations they had in the contract and left the game to its own devices. Who the hell does a retailer exclusive bundle for a fecking platform exclusive game? That's an outrage.

I am really mad at MS. Not because they have RoTR exclusive for a year, but because they put the survival of the franchise at risk. PC and PS4 are going to have to save the day, and a game should never be put into that kind of position. Especially since there is no guarantee at all that PC and PS4 can save the day.

I am soo pissed at the complete bullshit spin that came out of Crystal Dynamics when the exclusivity was announced. MS are great partners blah blah, take the franchise to the next level blah blah (paraphrasing here). Looking back on that PR crap and seeing what little effort MS actually put into helping to sell the game about the only obvious contribution MS made was handing over a wad of cash to keep the game off PS4. And making a few Tomb Raider themed cardboard boxes.

Terrible to say, but this is exactly what happened. MS bought exclusivity and then left it to die.

I doubt S-E/MS relations are the same after this trash. They bought to say "Look, we have an Uncharted-type game!". Then when Uncharted got pushed back they no longer gave a damn.

This deal may have likely killed the franchise.

If I were S-E, I would not trust MS with exclusivity for a 4-5M selling franchise, especially when they show they don't give a damn. They can really only wait until summer, after Uncharted releases, to release TR on PS4, complete with all DLC and a $40 price tag in hopes that sales are high enough to keep the franchise worth investing further.

S-E seriously F'd up by trusting the franchises future with MS. Sucks to say it, but that's the truth.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:
binary solo said:
MS bought the exclusivity and then decided to ignore the game, except when it came to list wars. The literally did the minimum necessary under whatever obligations they had in the contract and left the game to its own devices. Who the hell does a retailer exclusive bundle for a fecking platform exclusive game? That's an outrage.

I am really mad at MS. Not because they have RoTR exclusive for a year, but because they put the survival of the franchise at risk. PC and PS4 are going to have to save the day, and a game should never be put into that kind of position. Especially since there is no guarantee at all that PC and PS4 can save the day.

I am soo pissed at the complete bullshit spin that came out of Crystal Dynamics when the exclusivity was announced. MS are great partners blah blah, take the franchise to the next level blah blah (paraphrasing here). Looking back on that PR crap and seeing what little effort MS actually put into helping to sell the game about the only obvious contribution MS made was handing over a wad of cash to keep the game off PS4. And making a few Tomb Raider themed cardboard boxes.

Terrible to say, but this is exactly what happened. MS bought exclusivity and then left it to die.

I doubt S-E/MS relations are the same after this trash. They bought to say "Look, we have an Uncharted-type game. Then when Uncharted got pushed back they no longer gave a damn.

If I were S-E, I would not trust MS with exclusivity for a 4-5M selling franchise, especially when they show they don't give a damn.

PC and PS4 ain't going to save the day.  By the time, it comes out on PS4 (late 2016), it'll be a forgotten game.   As for PC, people are not going to pay full price either.  I'm waiting until a cheap Steam sale (< $10). 

bevochan said:
Euphoria14 said:
binary solo said:

I doubt S-E/MS relations are the same after this trash. They bought to say "Look, we have an Uncharted-type game. Then when Uncharted got pushed back they no longer gave a damn.

If I were S-E, I would not trust MS with exclusivity for a 4-5M selling franchise, especially when they show they don't give a damn.

PC and PS4 ain't going to save the day.  By the time, it comes out on PS4 (late 2016), it'll be a forgotten game.   As for PC, people are not going to pay full price either.  I'm waiting until a cheap Steam sale (< $10). 

I believe the same. The franchise, if not dead, is severely damaged.

No longer will S-E devote millions into making top notch TR titles.

MS fucked it up. Sorry to say, but I have never viewed MS as a company that valued gaming as a whole. This further fuels this belief.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Hiku said:

We don't know the expected numbers, but it's fairly obvious they didn't expect them to be this low.
And a deal can definitely be worth it without the other party taking the full risk. If things go at least according to the minimum projections, then the amount you were paid to make it worth your while on top of the rest will be the reward. But as soon as things start to deviate from the plan, those losses cut into the 'bonus' you recieved. Part of the responsibility for Tomb Raider selling well also falls on Crystal Dynamics ability to deliver a good game.

As for the GTA IV deal, GTA is in a different league than Tomb Raider. Would you really call it much of a risk when it was the sequel to the 7th best selling game of all time?  If 1,25 million people bought the DLC on X360, which is around 11% of the GTA IV install base on 360, MS would have made back the $50m loan. Which creates a strange situation for Take Two, where they would be gravely disappointed with 'only' 1,25m sales for eachwellthe DLC episodes on 360, as each sale up to that point would lose them money.

As for PS3/PS4/PC, this sitaution is a bit different comepared to other games that have arrived late to those systems as it's been surrounded by a lot of negative backlash from the community.

Bottom line, we don't know enough about SE and MS's deal. You just wanna assume SE is getting the bad end of the deal. Personally, I dont believe SE would get involved with MS unless they took all the risks. Thats how MS gets exclusives, taking the risks.

Tomb Raider isnt in the same league as GTA, but MS didnt buy exclusivity of a complete GTA game. They bought DLC exclusivity.

You think they only need to sell 1.25 million units to make back a 50 million dollar investment? No. It wasnt 60 dollar DLC either.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

asqarkabab said:

So that means that square shot themselves in the foot by making rotr one year exclusive on the bone

No. They shot themselves in the head by releasing this during F4's release...

Chris Hu said:

LOL at these comments. I'm not saying it did great but it did far from terrible considering games that where launched around the same time. You want to see terrible numbers for a sequel then look up the numbers for Wii Fit U.

Indeed...

Madword said:
There was that one guy who said TR would not be affected by FO4 sales....

As for TR, it was obvious... I don't see the PS4/PC versions being able to rescue the mess they have created for themselves. I'll bite when it's sub £20 on ps4... so probably dec 16 price cut time

He must've been drunk...

hentaihinata said:
MS killed Tomb Raider

They also created IS, funded Trump's campaign and caused global warming... next, they will shoot your dog...