By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When was the last time a game's graphics blew your mind?

mysteryman said:

I somewhat recently acquired a Vectrex. The vector graphics glow, they're super crisp and images scale perfectly. You simply have to experience it.

I love the Vectrex, still hope to get my hands on one some day. I've only played on it a couple of times but it's magical.

Driveclub weather still blows my mind occasionally.

Before that it was Fract OSC. That game really made me feel like I was inside a huge 3D environment and not just staring at a screen.

Around the Network

Probably wind water, it was just stunning back in the day. Conker reloaded to

TW3 and batman AK. Two beautiful games.

super mario 3d world

Although I have a ps4 and had the chance to play Infamous: SS and Bloodborne, I can honestly say that this game was the last one that managed to blow my mind.

Around the Network

zelda u

Not sure, Zelda U looks really nice, but I probably would say Mass Effect 2

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Looking back, it blows my mind what was achieved in graphics on the Commodore 64.

CPU MOS Technology 6510/8500
@ 1.023 MHz (NTSC version)
@ 0.985 MHz (PAL version)

Memory 64 kB RAM + 20 kB ROM

Graphics VIC-II (320 × 200, 16 colors, sprites, raster interrupt).

64 phreakin' kB of RAM!!! I have 4 page Word documents, that would totally overload that RAM. Current consoles have 125,000 times more RAM.

I personally feel like coding was much more efficient back in the day and that so much of the software we use today uses bloated, recycled code. That we could actually have far more impressive visuals in today's consoles if more efficient code was used. Do any games reach the graphics quality of the original Jurassic Park's CGI? Surely today's console hardware packs more punch than the tech used to create Jurassic park.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Xenoblade Chronicles X has honestly blown me away several times. Nintendo's video-capturing for trailers and stuff is awful, the game looks much clearer and the textures much sharper in-person, and the world is absolutely breathtaking in beauty and detail and scale.

Before that, I would say Mario Kart 8. I never expected a Mario Kart game to be one of the best-looking games on the system, but 8 really is.

Hoping to be blown away by Zelda Wii U when I see it in-person too, as the scale and art-style is awesome, but we'll see if it looks technically impressive next year.

Upcoming Games To Get

Definite: Kirby Star Allies (Switch), Mario Tennis Aces (Switch), Fire Emblem (Switch), Yoshi (Switch), Pokemon (Switch), Kingdom Hearts 3 (PS4), Monster Hunter World (PS4)

Considering: Fe (Switch), Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch), The World Ends With You (Switch), Ys VIII (Switch), Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition (PS4), Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Remix (PS4), The Last Guardian (PS4), Shadow of the Colossus HD (PS4), Anthem (PS4), Shenmue 3 (PS4), WiLD (PS4)

For me, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Zelda Skyward Sword, and Metro Redux.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."