By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which Japanese RPG Had A Really Good Story?

The Xeno games are great and my favorite Final Fantasy is 4 and 6. Otherwise I recommend Lost Odyssey and I quite enjoyed Dragon Quest 8. DQ7 was excellent too though and Dragon Warrior 4 is still a favorite.

Around the Network

Final Fantasy X... Story was so good that, even tho I bought the game, and i didnt have the time at that time, to play it, I enjoyed watching a friend going thru it.

"We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us" - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock.

Any Shin Megami Tensei game and its various spin offs like Persona. Most of the Final Fantasy games also have really good stories. I thought Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time also had a good story. There's others as well but I'm too lazy to type more than what I've said :P

Puppyroach said:
Skies of Arcadia has a really rich world. I also like to storyline if the Phantasy Star series on the Mega Drive but my favorite when it comes to scale and depth if that of Panzer Dragoon Saga.

My favourite is probably the RPG from your profile pic. Phantasy Star 4 is nostalgia in a box for me. It was my first RPG, and all the twists and deaths have stuck with me to this day. The characters, the music, the sounds, the combat, the sand worms...all great. The recent PS games lack the storytelling of that fourth game.

Figures the OP would have a Vyse avatar. Skies of Arcadia is a given, obviously. XD

Another REALLY good one would be Persona 4. While I've played plenty of other JRPGs, few really measure up to it.

Not quite as good, but still pretty good, we've got Bravely Default, Grandia 2, Tales of the Abyss. and Fire Emblem Awakening.

Around the Network

Xeno-series, Terranigma, Final Fantasy VI

Cloudman said:
Skies of Arcadia... Now that's a good one.

I was thinking on this, and I found it kind of hard to answer. I like a lot of JRPGs, but I wasn't sure if it was because of other elements, such as combat system, characters, music, etc. When I think about JRPGs I love on story alone, I realize the stories aren't all that interesting.

Perhaps Chrono Trigger and Tales of Symphonia?

The end of your post literally made my jaw drop.

For me, when I think of grand stories that have stuck with me years later, I think of Nier, Drakengard 3, Final Fantasy IX and X, Persona 3 and 4, Lost Odyssey, and Earthbound.

There are a couple others I thought of, but I haven't completed them to give a fair endorsement.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

gergroy said:
Hiku said:
Suikoden 2.

This, still hasn't been matched

^ Definitely this!

The World Ends with you was really good in that aspect imo.

fielding88 said:
Puppyroach said:
Skies of Arcadia has a really rich world. I also like to storyline if the Phantasy Star series on the Mega Drive but my favorite when it comes to scale and depth if that of Panzer Dragoon Saga.

My favourite is probably the RPG from your profile pic. Phantasy Star 4 is nostalgia in a box for me. It was my first RPG, and all the twists and deaths have stuck with me to this day. The characters, the music, the sounds, the combat, the sand worms...all great. The recent PS games lack the storytelling of that fourth game.

Agreed. What I like in a great RPG is also when it fits into a larger narrative, like how PS4 (meaning Phantasy Star 4 :)) continues the thousand year story of the planets, biomonsters, dark force and so on. And Zio is in a lot of ways a great new adversary. And, I remember how happy I was to meet the Wren android again, it was one of the highlights of PS3.